Substate or Sectional

tigertiger

This next level of play use to always be called substate until a few years back when the TSSAA decided to go through that crazy phase that they called sectionals when like all of the regional semi teams advanced. Now we are back to the good ole days of substate, er sectionals.

So which is it? Substate? Or Sectionals?

My father is a HS ref in Wisconsin so I'd like to share what happens up there this time of year. For better or worse, WI puts ALL teams in a regional (seperated by the size of each school, they have 4 classes). Each regional champ goes on to a sectional and each sectional champ goes to state.

Only 4 sectionals are held in each class except for Div. 1 (the biggest schools). Div. 1 has 8 sectionals across the State so 8 Div. 1 teams play in Madison for the title, and 4 compete at state in the other three classes. Single elimination in all divisions with all teams competing. Your record determines your seed. It is truly March madness. Here, the to four regional teams go to district, and the losers of the District finals go to sub-state. I'm not saying 1 is better or worse. I'm just throwing it out there. I think the Hoosier state does it similar to that as well.

Hey Highschoolsportssupporter------First of by being from TN all my life and watching numerous high school tournaments and games, I think the tssaa do a good job. Whether it's called sectional-substate or what ever is no concern of yours or anybody else from the north . People from up north usually have an answer or a better way of doing something. Who cares what happens in Cheese county or ex-bobby knight county. And if you live in Tn now your just another big mouth stupid turd from the north trying to make our tn state look bad or not as good. Hey why dont you go back up there and watch your ole dad ref some games and if he has opinions like you well he probably stinks too!!!!!! If you dont like our state and the way we do things- take your funny looking big nose butt right back up there and freeze your tail off. Oh did you call with your dad and they run you out of the state. Go watch the Sub-state up there or sectional-or State whatever!!!!just go you're not wanted in the south trust me!

;) Snakeinthegrass, apparently you have issues and can't read. I never said I was from the North and I never said the system up there was better. "I'm not saying 1 is better than the other... for better or worse... I'm just throwing it out there" I incorrectly figured a few of you might not know it is single elimination from day 1 of the tourney in many states. I think the TSSAA does a great job too, I'll try and not press your closed mind again. Good luck to all the teams that made it to Sub-State Sectionals.

:P snake, what are you smoking? get some help. you need anger management. don't make tn look bad w/ your ignorance. you sound like you're the one from up north... they do seem to have quick tempers. i don't think hssportswhatever was attacking our system in any way. i thought it was interesting how other states do it. GET A GRIP!!!!!!!!

It's interesting the way TSSAA has it set up.

The region finals are really the 1st round of the state tournament.

The 8 losers are in what could be called a loser's bracket and have to travel.

So it's really a 16 team format hosted by the region winners in the "1st round".

The winners of the "2nd round" advance to the 'Boro and play single elimination.

It's a big advantage to win and play the sub-state at home

but Mondays games are the only ones that really matter.

Oh yeh, I say chill out snake too. I liked reading about how

another state plays their tourny.