NO RESPECT!

TigerFan24

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have enough of this public-private crap... CPA doesnt recruit... if we have superior athletes, its either luck that they attend the school or the result of hard work... personally i dont know how a large public school doesnt have an advantage on a small school like CPA that doesnt recruit...

Hmmmm . . . of course you recruit. You recruit ALL your students. What you don't do is give scholarships. There is a difference.

First of all, do you let anyone who wants to go to CPA in for free? No. They have to have money. And they have to have the grades. And the students have to come from parents that are willing to both pay for the education as well as to provide their children a good environment to grow and develop. In other words, per student, a selective private school has a better chance at getting, for lack of better words, a student with more preperation to develop. They're not ALWAYS better, but the chances are better if you know what I mean.

With regards to "good athletes", I rarely see a private school with better athletes than public schools in the tournaments. Many times the opposite actually exists because the public schools exploited natural talent instead of finely honed skills. However, I consistently see better developed players in private schools. They have the resources to do that.

So, do you give scholarships? No. Do you recruit? Most definitely . . . just not in the "illegal" way most people cry over. For what it's worth, public schools in certain situations can actively recruit, as well. They just use a targeted approach on a per student basis.

Also, can a public school go out and hire a really good basketball coach to just coach basketball? No. They must teach and fulfill other criteria. Can a private school? Of course. There is a significant advantage to being able to hire purpose-used coaches that only have to concern themselves with winning. Most public school coaches coach 2 plus teams and teach 2 plus classes. Though it may not always be the case, this situation is an advantage that a private school can (legally) take advantage of.

Is there anything wrong with any of this? Eh, no. Welcome to life. It's not "fair", and people who are willing to make sacrifices and who are fortunate enough to "earn" or "buy" advantages have, well, ADVANTAGES!

BUT, to sit back and deny the advantages is disingenuous. It's better to just recognize them and say "that's that".

And please, let's not mention Al Gore. I hate to see such profanity on a board frequented by children.

If you guys want to talk about no respect look at Greenfield. Last year when they made it to the state championship game the "Tennessean" called them Greenville.

That's just a typo.

I understand that in 1984 when Greenfield actually won the title, the Jackson Sun stated that the '84 season was only the third wining season they had enjoyed in twenty years. Oddly enough, they made the State two years earlier and posted winning season for years before that.

Don't let press coverage fool you. They get paid the same rate for facts or fiction.

Hmmmm . . . of course you recruit.  You recruit ALL your students.  What you don't do is give scholarships.  There is a difference.

First of all, do you let anyone who wants to go to CPA in for free?  No.  They have to have money.  And they have to have the grades.  And the students have to come from parents that are willing to both pay for the education as well as to provide their children a good environment to grow and develop.  In other words, per student, a selective private school has a better chance at getting, for lack of better words, a student with more preperation to develop.  They're not ALWAYS better, but the chances are better if you know what I mean.

With regards to "good athletes", I rarely see a private school with better athletes than public schools in the tournaments.  Many times the opposite actually exists because the public schools exploited natural talent instead of finely honed skills.  However, I consistently see better developed players in private schools.  They have the resources to do that.

So, do you give scholarships?  No.  Do you recruit?  Most definitely . . . just not in the "illegal" way most people cry over.  For what it's worth, public schools in certain situations can actively recruit, as well.  They just use a targeted approach on a per student basis.

Also, can a public school go out and hire a really good basketball coach to just coach basketball?  No.  They must teach and fulfill other criteria.  Can a private school?  Of course.  There is a significant advantage to being able to hire purpose-used coaches that only have to concern themselves with winning.  Most public school coaches coach 2 plus teams and teach 2 plus classes.  Though it may not always be the case, this situation is an advantage that a private school can (legally) take advantage of.

Is there anything wrong with any of this?  Eh, no.  Welcome to life.  It's not "fair", and people who are willing to make sacrifices and who are fortunate enough to "earn" or "buy" advantages have, well, ADVANTAGES!

BUT, to sit back and deny the advantages is disingenuous.  It's better to just recognize them and say "that's that".

CPA does not recruit... if you think so, then you are a moron... people want to come to CPA, but its not because CPA seeks them or anything... we no more recruit than your public school does... so speak

and im sorry your basketball coach has to teach two whole classes... thats pretty rough... ours teaches at least four different classes (that i can think of)... i guess a private school could hire a coach just to coach -- if their students would pay a couple thousand more dollars in tuition... which they wont...

Edited by excel17dm

Okay, let me put it another way that you may can understand. Does CPA offer any advantage over the public schools in its area? If they do, then it's recruiting since you're making an environment that is advantageous to the student i.e. you're recruiting their business. That's simple capitalism.

If your school does not offer any advantage over the public schools and people are willing to pay to go there, then I'm not really the moron in this case, am I?

With regards to services for my mother, it COULD have been you. She's a kindergarten teacher, so she may have had you in class lately. :o

And, if you're representative of Christ Presbyterian, you don't represent Christ OR Presbyterians very well. As a Presbyterian, I wish you would find another group to represent.

im sorry but i wish you would stop your excuse-making... there is no reason why public schools can't compete with a private school like CPA... if CPA has advantages over them, then they also have advantages over CPA (like the price tag, obviously) -- thus they recruit as well... by the way that was a joke on my last post, which i have removed if you look back...

Edited by excel17dm

Nowhere do I make any excuses. I believe that I simply pointed out thing in evidence.

With regards to price, I agree that public schools are less expensive. However, what bearing does that have on athletic advantage? Little. Schools aren't handicapped by tuition. They're handicapped by size.

If you can, in good faith, say that a private school in a large population mass, doesn't have an advantage of talent and resources over, say, a rural school, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Remember, I never made an excuse. I just pointed out facts.

I don't mind the playing field being a little unlevel. It's the utter unwillingness to acknowledge the unbalance that's odd to me. Life isn't fair. Let's not pretend it is.

And, for what it's worth, I'm not for the TSSAA putting the modifier on private schools. I don't mind them competing with public schools. They're going to compete for colleges. They're going to compete for jobs. What's wrong with competing on the hardwood?

you said that cpa recruits by offering advantages to their students over public schools... thats why i was talking about public schools being cheap...

a private school in nashville may have some type of advantage over a small, rural public school but then the issue becomes not public vs. private but rural vs. metro...