Shelbyville vs. Greeneville

jim314

In my opinion....i thought the girl deserved the T......i had no dog in the fight just watching some great basketball.....i don't think it matters where the game is or if it is the state tournamnent......if she deserved the T, then the ref should give her one......yes there were calls that went against both teams but that happens every game......but all and all it was a great high school basketball game

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow.

having been to every state tournament since they started playing 5 on 5, that was one of the best state tournament games ever played. the level of defensive intensity from both teams, for 32 minutes was incredible. every inch of floor was contested. the discipline, fundamental soundness, and patience on offense was inspiring. the game cannot be played better than that.

the guy who started this thread told the story of the game pretty well. but here are some of my observations.

the officiating could be criticized, because they made a lot of wrong calls. but one needs to look at the game they were calling. the pace was frenetic, and the defense tight as skin. after that game, Craigmont-Powell looked like it was in slow motion. the officials had a nearly impossible job, and actually did about as good a job as was possible. they certainly didnt decide the outcome. looking at the whole game, the officials got it right. Shelbyville got the bulk of the fouls (up until the last minute clock-necessitated fouling from Gville), but they played the more physical defense, so they should have been getting more fouls. they managed their fouls very well, but still ended up with two starters fouled out, and a third played the whole 4th quarter with 4. #33 probably didnt play 5 minutes the whole night, because she picked up fouls so quick. # 11 played a quarter of the best defense i have ever seen. she played the whole 4th quarter with 4 fouls, and still managed to harry the Greeneville pt guard mercilessly, without coming close to commiting the 5th. she always had at least 6 clear inches between her and her "man", but didnt ever seem to be more than 8 inches away.

as for Greeneville, they probably played the best losing game in the history of the tournament. i had to keep counting to be sure there werent about 8 of them on the floor, because their defense seemed to be everywhere. and they hustled like maniacs. they pulled off the rare feat of beating Shelbyville back for snowbirds on a number of occasions.

i am sure the stats arent that pretty. both teams had plenty of turnovers, and the shooting % couldnt be very good for either team. but it was a very even match. and the game was played at a ferocious pace. almost every shot was taken under duress.

there were two technicals. Shelbyville got one in the first 1/2. that one i was looking right at before it happened, near the FT line, AFTER a basket. if the official had been looking where i was, a greenville player might have been ejected, instead of the T. the second was in the second half, and i wasnt at a good angle to see what happened. on my side, there was a pretty hard foul by another player, but one was called on the girl that got the T on the other side. i saw her come running out towards midcourt real fast, and flailing her arms around and the official gave her a T. unfortunately that made 5 fouls and put her out.

i am thinking about buying a tape of the game, to show my players what intesnsity really is.

wow.

having been to every state tournament since they started playing 5 on 5, that was one of the best state tournament games ever played. the level of defensive intensity from both teams, for 32 minutes was incredible. every inch of floor was contested. the discipline, fundamental soundness, and patience on offense was inspiring. the game cannot be played better than that.

the guy who started this thread told the story of the game pretty well. but here are some of my observations.

the officiating could be criticized, because they made a lot of wrong calls. but one needs to look at the game they were calling. the pace was frenetic, and the defense tight as skin. after that game, Craigmont-Powell looked like it was in slow motion. the officials had a nearly impossible job, and actually did about as good a job as was possible. they certainly didnt decide the outcome. looking at the whole game, the officials got it right. Shelbyville got the bulk of the fouls (up until the last minute clock-necessitated fouling from Gville), but they played the more physical defense, so they should have been getting more fouls. they managed their fouls very well, but still ended up with two starters fouled out, and a third played the whole 4th quarter with 4. #33 probably didnt play 5 minutes the whole night, because she picked up fouls so quick. # 11 played a quarter of the best defense i have ever seen. she played the whole 4th quarter with 4 fouls, and still managed to harry the Greeneville pt guard mercilessly, without coming close to commiting the 5th. she always had at least 6 clear inches between her and her "man", but didnt ever seem to be more than 8 inches away.

as for Greeneville, they probably played the best losing game in the history of the tournament. i had to keep counting to be sure there werent about 8 of them on the floor, because their defense seemed to be everywhere. and they hustled like maniacs. they pulled off the rare feat of beating Shelbyville back for snowbirds on a number of occasions.

i am sure the stats arent that pretty. both teams had plenty of turnovers, and the shooting % couldnt be very good for either team. but it was a very even match. and the game was played at a ferocious pace. almost every shot was taken under duress.

there were two technicals. Shelbyville got one in the first 1/2. that one i was looking right at before it happened, near the FT line, AFTER a basket. if the official had been looking where i was, a greenville player might have been ejected, instead of the T. the second was in the second half, and i wasnt at a good angle to see what happened. on my side, there was a pretty hard foul by another player, but one was called on the girl that got the T on the other side. i saw her come running out towards midcourt real fast, and flailing her arms around and the official gave her a T. unfortunately that made 5 fouls and put her out.

i am thinking about buying a tape of the game, to show my players what intesnsity really is.

Great summation! Like shooter5 said earlier, I had no dog in the fight. I can't say that I've seen every state tournament since the beginning of 5 on 5, but I have seen a bunch, including every game in this tournament. I just love the game.

I guess it's wishful thinking/hoping for every fan to see it for what it was...a GREAT game, without bad-mouthing the refs. Like you said, the intensity was fierce, and it would have been a hard game for any ref to call perfectly. Has there EVER been a perfectly called game? I doubt it. As for the girl who picked up her 5th on the Technical, even she admitted in the newspaper that she reacted too emotionally. She knows what she said better than anyone posting on here. She played a heckuva game, as they all did....and they ALL (both teams) deserve plenty of credit.

Both teams put on a show that every fan of the game should appreciate.

No dog here either, but I feel the tech was undeserved. Houston and Newman both had reactions to calls that could have garnered technicals earlier in the game.

Should they have been called. No! Neither should the one on manuel. There was an official she was moving toward that could have dealt with it without the guy running in from the opposite corner and calling it. Should she have been warned yes. Emotions in those situations for young people come quickly and she didn't get the chance.

Did it change the outcome of the game. No! only the margin and the fan enjoyment.