Cumberland County

BBALLTN

Guest GoJets#1

Rosebud my dear friend.

So, I take it from your posts that parents should teach their kids to respect authority. The coach is always right and shouldn't be second guessed

Yes, I do! Do you think they shouldn't teach them to repect authority????

And yes the coach is always right. If you allow players to question a coaches instructions then what is there to keep them from totally ignoring everything a coach says...which by the way is the attitude of some of the CCHS girls. And this is exactly what the problem at CCHS is, there are parents and players that think they know better than the coach! Pat Summit couldn't lead CCHS to a state championship with players and parents that think they know more than she does! R-E-S-P-E-C-T, if parents dont teach it, kids won't show it! You ever been in a modern classroom? Things are much different than they were 15 or 20 yrs ago!

Might the administration deserve that same respect...or did your parents teach you to respect your coach but not your principal? Double standards here...

My parents taught me to respect authority of all kinds and I always have thank you. No double standards here. But I am a grown adult and not a young teenager that won't listen to my coach! As adults we have the ability to know when someone has forfeited the right to be respected. There is a big difference there! Adults should know the difference, apparently you don't!

You appear to be very close to the whole situation. You were challenging a previous poster about their relationship to LVM...what is yours to AB...husband, assistant coach

I have some well placed sources! And I assure you I am not married to AB, related to AB in any way, or even work or coach with her. I am a LONG time Jet fan and was here as a fan long before AB even went to school here. And from what I am hearing I may be here after she is gone, providing she isn't retained.

Who are you? Turn about is fair play!!!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears JetFan #1 & #2 are becoming more civil with each other.

Knowing Coach B., she has always had more class than some of the comments on this board, she probably has nothing against LVM. If she keeps the job, in an effort to have fresh ideas and new blood in the program, i wonder if she would ask her to assist in the program?

There are areas of weakness that LVM might help improve. For instance, she was always a good ball handler. Someone showed me an old clipping when she was named OVC Player of the Week. That particular time she had 41 points in two games, 10 assists, but most impressively, 1 turnover in 72 minutes of playing time.

She might be able to teach our girls how to break a press and how to reduce turnovers.

Only a thought. If AB does stay, will she have a game plan to improve the program?

And to answer your question, I too am a long-time jet supporter. I have nothing against AB. But I also have respect for Mr. Hodge.

Edited by rosebud

GoJets#1

It takes one to know one. When meeting your match with Jetfan2 your tone changed. Hypocracy shows itself in many ways. The only bashing of AB that I have read was in defense of the boys basketball and football coaches. I don't recall any name calling in those posts where AB is concerned.

Yes I must be an uneducated idiot to be discussing something with you, that neither of us have any control over. The decision has already been made on the coaching position being open. In AB's defense, she is supposed to be an excellent math teacher. I hope she keeps that position.

In AB's defense, she is supposed to be an excellent math teacher. I hope she keeps that position.

I too have heard nothing but praise for her as a math teacher. Velma Buck used to be the basketball coach, I go that far back, and look what a wonderful math teacher she is. I would dare to say that few coaches have ever had the positive impact on kids future that Velma Buck has had as a math teacher. Oh well, you can REALLY tell it is late..pardon the regression. Good night.

Guest GoJets#1

Jetfan, I agree with what you said there completely. And from what my sources say and from what others have posted here, it appears that there are only a few parents that are the problem. The big time programs do have players that work their butts off. Until we can get our parents and players to get behind a coach and provide support instead of stonewalling we won't be a big time program.

Speaking of being a big time program, here is another idea that I would like to toss out. We don't have the industrial base to bring in people (and thus better athletes). I mentioned the success that the five schools in neighboring Roane County have experienced the last few years (and really even longer than that). One thing that I was reminded of was the the talk of something being in the water. The plants at Oak Ridge have provided alot of jobs and many of those workers live in Roane County. Also TVA plays a big role there by providing alot of jobs. Those jobs attract lots of people and those people increase the number of athletes for the schools. It is no secret that in the old days if you had a good athlete in the family you could get a job in Oak Ridge provided your kid went to school there! Same is true for Kingsport Dobbins Bennett and Alcoa and Maryville and the list goes on. There really isnt any big time industry that attracts a large and diverse number of people to live here. In fact, the largest number of people that move to this area are retired! Therefore, it makes it impossible in many cases for CCHS to ever compete on a regular basis with some of the big boys out there. Add that to the problem we are discussing here about parents and respect and ANY coach has their hands tied. Again, NONE of our sports programs are setting the world on fire with maybe the exception of the girls softball team.

I think AB would not have been fired if Hodge and the AD didnt have a good ole boy thing going. All this talk from fans about the coaching ability of AB is from a small group...those few disgruntled ones. I know for a fact that the teachers and vice principals have backed AB, as well as a large group of students, other coaches, and of course most of the team. So why fire her now? All the other excuses dont hold water, because they can be rebutted and have been. The bottom line is that this thing stinks to high heaven!

Guest GoJets#1

I am thinking that its time to quit all this posting. With the exception of Traveler2, most of us are beginning to calm down after venting alot of frustration. I want to especially comment on some very positive posts from Rosebud.

Knowing Coach B., she has always had more class than some of the comments on this board, she probably has nothing against LVM. If she keeps the job, in an effort to have fresh ideas and new blood in the program, i wonder if she would ask her to assist in the program?

AB does have more class than some of us (including me) that are posting here. And I haven't talked to anyone about it, but I would guess that she would gladly welcome LVM as an assistant. AB wants to win more than anyone. She has put more hours into that program than anyone knows. I made that very proposal in a very early post. And if the two school thing happens, there would be a head coach opening right here in the county in a year or so!

Only a thought. If AB does stay, will she have a game plan to improve the program?

Well if you know AB like I do, we know she is a fighter! She is smart enough to understand that this is a wakeup call. I would think that she would. Don't you? Now how can we get some parents to show a little respect?

And to answer your question, I too am a long-time jet supporter. I have nothing against AB. But I also have respect for Mr. Hodge

Well its nice to see a couple of long time jet supporters talking with civil tongues again! And while we are at it, I want to apologize to anyone and everyone that may have been offended by anything I have said. Tempers flare and the tongue is sharper than a two-edged sword sometimes! But I am frustrated, supporters and detractors of AB are frustrated, and something as unfair as this appears to be taking place and so we all have needed to vent some frustrations. I still dont trust or respect Hodge for doing a hatchet job on AB when he should have just walked away and let the new principal decide who he wants for his coaches. That still smells bad. Until he did that, I too, respected him, but NO more!

One more thought and I am hanging up my posting machine....what do we do if the new principal looks at the football program or the boys basketball program and says, "I dont see any post season appearances (or maybe not enough)" and then says, "I don't see players developing or paying attention in huddles or practices" and then fires those two coaches as well? Are all the ones that think those reasons were good enough to justify firing AB going to say AMEN brother and celebrate those firings also? Just a thought, but it would interesting to see if the same people backed the same sides or if some of you simply just had it in for AB. Could be that many of us that have argued in this post would be bosom buddies in a future post!

Edited by GoJets#1