Eligible or Not?

TopGun1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In these situations, the move does not matter. DCA services Wilson Co, even if she moved it would not change the situation. MTCS services all of Rutherford County. Tiffany's mom, dad, and grandparents all live in the Oakland Zone. She could have put any address, but it would not matter. It is a public/private thing. If she had been told that she would have been ineligible this year, she would not have helped MTCS out. She had known for over a year the move was going to take place. Single mom in college, older sister going to college, and dad not paying child support. It costs over $3000 to go to MTCS. The price was raised this year and the school had already given the highest amout of financial aide posssible. Thus, Tiffany sits out a year of softball!!!!!!!! If mom had money and moved to Brentwood Academy or Harpeth Hall, Tiffany would be eligible.

Tough break TopGun1. What about players following a coach to a different school? Does TSSAA say they have to sit out a year? Coffee lost 2 players to Riverdale. I know that one of the players moved. I'm not sure about the other. Maybe a Rutherford address shows up but house in Coffee hasn't been sold and mom and dad still have same jobs. I wish them well at Riverdale.

Public to public transfers should matter. I can’t think of any justification for treating the two differently. I know players have transferred for many different reasons. They range all the way from moving to a weaker team just for a better chance to play, to moving to a strong team in order to advance their “career”. I have been told that there are approximately 200 zone waivers at each of the Murfreesboro High Schools. I’m sure that not all are related to sports. But it seems to me that the end result is a move away from teams that truly represent their community. How would I feel if my program won a state championship when half of the players were from another area? Probably pretty good. But I would know that the word would be out there, that the championship was tainted, that we needed that extra help to get there. Color me naive, but I believe that duty is a lesson that is more worthy to teach than “just win baby”.

In this case, following the letter of the rule, I’m sure the decision was correct. Was it right? No, and I believe the TSSAA needs to look closely at what is really happening in it’s programs, because its getting more like the NCAA every day.

So let me get this straight if a person moves to another part of the district even though you have played 2 yrs at the same school then you can transfer public to public....and not miss your junior year.......Is that right?

I does matter. Once a player has played at a high school program (public OR private), they will have to sit out a year if they move out of zone. If for instance a player family moved from Manchester to Murf, that is out of zone so they would be eligible to play at another school. However, if a player moved and attended DCA in 8th & 9th Grade, they could NOT play without sitting out at either Wilson Central High or Brentwood Academy because they are still considered in the zone. If the student moved to Manchester, that is out of zone & could play right away.

Not really a struggle to understand. If a student moved from Stratford High School & played Varsity sports, into the Antioch High Zone, they could be ruled eligible to play because they moved out of zone. Public School zones are determined by Board of Education & are alot smaller than Privite School Zones so a private school athlete would have to move pretty far away to be eligble, not just across county line.

Antwan,

It has nothing to do with Wilson Centrals Zone.  It has to do with DCA's Zone.  Tiffany could not play for any school in Rutherford Co.  The girl at Wilson Central had been zoned Wilson Central for two years, but chose to leave due to sports, so I am told.  She proved a financial hardship due to some pencil whipping.  Oakland just put the facts on the table. I am sure that the TSSAA did the right thing in both situations.

Poor little people, only if you knew the real situation. Wilson Central girl did not move from DCA to Wilson Central for sports.. She is a victim of circumstance. Brother is in college, Father can not work for 15 weeks because he is doing his student teaching @ MTSU, and mother having to support a family of four on one salary. How is she supposed to pay bills and a $5,200 tuiton for DCA, and another $7,000 to MTSU???? Yeah, Tiffany's situation is not cool, but to go blast and demean a 15 year old girl because TSSAA decided to let her play...thats wrong, low, and makes me question the type of human being you are for posting such a liblelous comment toward just a 15 year old girl.

And for Pencil Whipping? That again is amazing, because chances are, the person that posted that comment is probably someone who knows their family, and they have never been about that. So WC, go play ball, thats what its all about. The people who are successful in life always overcome the people who are trying to pull them down. Overcome, Be one of those.

"SO IM TOLD"

Edited by cgeorge953

cgeorge953, I agree with you about the comments made about these 15 year old girls! They are very demeaning! The worst thing about this situation is that all TSSAA is doing is taking away the chance for the child to play. Besides they didn't even look at all of the facts presented in the case at the appeal! They had their minds made up!

You may not like the tssaa...but they do investigate each individual case of transfers. The rules are pretty lax...so if someone is denied...there is a good reason. As for slandering kids...that will not be tolerated. There is no use bringing up another case. Usually if you throw mud...mud gets on you. I am sure the WC transfer was legitimate. Let's just leave it at that. I am locking this thread BEFORE it gets out of hand.