Univ of Tenn Baseball

bigbadblue

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can they not get their in state talent to play for them? Tennessee gets beat by their own in state talent. Every roster in the SEC has players from Tennessee, and its these guys that come back home and beat the Vols.

Coach D said the blame was his past assistant coach. Now that he is gone...it will be smooth sailing on TN recruits. :rolleyes:

HV,

Do you not feel that old "RAY BANS" tells the truth at all times. The players that I feel sorry for are the ones that sign with Tennessee and have to put up with his various mood swings. During the season he is like a pregnant woman. The lucky players are the ones that get away to other schools and go back to Knoxville and beat the Vols, just as Josh Bell from Jackson, TN did.

Maybe if you walk on...I'm telling ya, they don't recruit in state. Most players on the team that are from TN walked on. For instance, Simcox wanted Jared Gaston from Cleveland to walk on and sit the bench in hope of getting a scholarship in the future (and hopes of getting to play!!!). That is how they treat their in state talent. Look at Farragut High School. They got one player off that team from last year, Craig Cobb. They have yet to sign anyone from this year's senior class (Waldrop should have been an automatic bid; he's going to be at Vandy next year). Go look at Germantown's former rosters...They have sent tons of players to the likes of Miss, Miss State, Auburn, etc. Karns High School's Iorg signed with Alabama. The top catcher in the state, from South Doyle High in Knox, is going to Alabama as well. The list goes on and on. They are letting their top players go to their division rivals, and it stinks!!

UT has several problems going against when recruiting local talent. Maybe Coach Del attempts to be more national in his recruiting and just misses out on some solid in state players. I think the problem is deeper than that. UT, in terms of fan support and college baseball atmosphere, are suprisingly not near some other SEC schools. Miss State is or was at one time the largest on campus stadium in America...they have gotten 14,000 plus to a regular season game and 6,000 is considered fair attendance. LSU gets 5000+ regularly. I believe 6,000 would be a record at UT. Basically, the same advantages Neyland stadium gives UT in football in recruitment, some other schools have on UT in baseball.

Second, the money issue comes into effect. Until recently (the lottery should help Tennessee), UT was limited to offer several players only partial scholarships because of scholarship restrictions, Title IX stuff. States that had the lottery and scholarship programs, like Georgia, Louisana, and Florida can offer partial baseball scholarships and then get supplemental $ for players through there scholarship programs, basically offering a fully paid ride versus UT's partial. So, in short, Money and atmosphere may be doing alot of the recruiting against UT.

This problem has nothing to do with money, stadium, fan support, etc... It has everything to do with old "Ray Bans" and his attitude towards Tennessee high school players. What do you guys think that Corbin of Vanderbilt could do at Tennessee? He has already turned the Vandy program around and that may be one of the most difficult jobs in the country. When was the last time that the Vols won a series with a top 10 team? What Tennessee needs is for the AD to understand that a change needs to be made with the head coach. Until that happens the talent will continue to leave the state for ACC and other SEC schools. Ray Bans has now developed such a poor reputation among the states best players that it would be hard for him to sign some of them if he offered them 80%.

Coach D will sign a Knox County player in a couple of years...well...I guess not. His son will get on as a walk-on...

He needs to be shown the door...our basketball coaches are in about the same situation as Delmonico has been for a lonnnnnnng time. Not enough being done...if it's good for the folks that want Buzz and Fulmer out (which is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while) then it's good enough for me...I want Delmonico out!!! :unsure: