out of control

i was involved in a sub-state basketball game this weekend in shelbyville and i must say that you know as a coach you are not goin to have things go your way all the time be it that your players are not playin well or the officiating may not be up to par, but one thing i must say that really ticks me off. you have a class organization like the tennessee team pride and they are playin the tennessee liberty and a parent tells one of their players to break her darn neck i mean i heard this and as a spectator, coach, and parent that sends chills up and down my spine but that wasnt the over the top event. the same parent gave the point guard for the liberty the finger. i dont really know chris brown but i know that he dont allow this. and in his defense he wasnt there. but the coach for pride never said a word to his parents or made comments to not say those things. that is a definite no no. coaches have to sign a form before games like sub-state and state that says you are responsible for your parents actions. the liberty came out with the victory but the kids lost all respect for that set of parents. it wasnt called for. there is no place for that in todays aau programs. it goes against what it stands for.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are so right! Chris Brown would never allow that. I'm sure when he finds out about it , it will be addressed. This team you are referring to is new to the Pride family. They are formerly the Tennessee Gold. The Pride 13's that have been with Chris since they were 10's start their sub-states this week-end in Cheatham Co.

i am very happy to know that my thoughts reflect those of the organization of tennessee team pride. i knew they were formely tennessee gold. your organization is a very respected organization in tennessee and i dont want a parent, player, or coach disrupt that. i appreciate the last two replies to my post that means alot. thanks for your input.

I am only one of the nearly 100 families that are involved with the Tennessee Team Pride program. It is impossible to control this many personalities in a venue whereby a parent is so emotionally caught up in; their child.

This is not an excuse. All parents are told what the expectations are for decorum, but it goes without saying that aside from being ejected from a game, there is no recourse to such actions to prohibit their occurrence.

I witness a non-Team Pride game this weekend that a parent actually called the referee a vulgar name. I could not believe this person used this language with all the kids around. He was immediately throw out of the game by the ref. I wonder if this person will take the same action in another game. Who knows?

So it happens, not only with Team Pride parents, but with other programs as well. I can tell you that the TTP 16U parents cheer heartily for our girls, and we yell at the refs when we think we see a bad call. But I have never witnessed a TTP game where the parents are abusive, to refs, other teams, or other coaches. I do not consider this to be "cut-throat".