tullahoma

macdaddy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anjare' Washington killed everyone. As far as overall results go - and Kenwoodrun I'm sure can verify/correct - in the girls I think Kenwood got either 1st or runner up, and in the guys Riverdale got first, and it was either Kenwood or Tullahoma with runner up. Please correct me if I got something wrong. Anybody have printed results?

Guest kenwoodrun
Anjare' Washington killed everyone. As far as overall results go - and Kenwoodrun I'm sure can verify/correct - in the girls I think Kenwood got either 1st or runner up, and in the guys Riverdale got first, and it was either Kenwood or Tullahoma with runner up. Please correct me if I got something wrong. Anybody have printed results?

Boys: 1. Riverdale 107, 2. Kenwood 80, 3. Tullahoma 73.5, 15 teams scoring

Girls: 1. Tullahoma 180, 2. Kenwood 87, 3. Riverdale 82, 15 teams scoring

You are correct about Washington just destroying the field. We may have been runners-up, but we could have doubled our score and STILL lost to Tullahoma's girls. They abused the field. That's the first time I've ever really paid any attention to her. She seems really classy and bright as well. We were behind Riverdale all day until we won the 4x4, that squeaked us out 2nd despite the fact we got ZERO points in the 800, 1600 and 3200 for the first time ever down there :lol:

Ope, there are no printed results...they do everything by hand there so you aren't going to see results unless someone from Tullahoma transcribes them.

I will say whoever is in Coffee County's region (I think that includes McMinn?), this 1600/3200 fella from Coffee County, Alan Knox (??? i think?) was pretty impressive in the distances. He's going to be a load to handle in your sectional.

Kenwoodrun.....just to fill you in a bit on one of my favorite people in the world, who you said some nice things about. Anjarae Washington has accepted an academic scholarship at Vanderbilt where she will also be on the track team. She narrowed her choices down to Duke, North Carolina, Furman and Vandy before choosing Vanderbilt. Funny thing is, I always thought she would choose to play soccer in college because she's such a great player (she was regional MVP), but I think she felt she would be over her head in the SEC or ACC.

Your description—classy and bright—is right on the money. Add talented and ambitious to it and you've just about got her pegged. To give you an idea how she operates, Monday she won the regional pentathlon, and the 800 meter was the final event. Though she was leading before the 800 and her group had to run second, she was bugging coach Winningham to let her group run first because she was going to be late for her study group (and she was seious...lol). He made her wait, then she won the 800, won the event, and took off on a trot to her study group.

As you can tell, I think very highly of her. I'm a sportswriter here and it's kids like her that make my job so enjoyable.

By the way, great job at the Rotary meet. Your guys were right there with Riverdale. I think Tullahoma's boys had their best performance of the year but just couldn't hang with you guys in the end.

(P.S. Keep an eye on the Tullahoma girls 4x800 team. They've rarely run together so far (seems to usually work out where only three of the four are there) but they have a chance to make some noise)

Take care and hope you enjoyed your visit to Tullahoma. I thought sure we'd get you wet, but the rain held off and the meet was a lot of fun.

Guest kenwoodrun

Mike,

I didn't even speak to her, I just watched her from close distance go about the high jump, the 4x8, the intermediates...you can just tell when certain people are different. She'll be a great fit at Vandy, I hope she'll become the next coming of Josie Hahn...who came from a small school (Anderson County) and has become a pentathlete and a somewhat of a star at the SEC level in her events at Vandy. She was a great kid, as well.

I did enjoy Tullahoma's meet, more than you would imagine. We drive two hours just to get there. Our coaching staff goes to a little donut place because it is so good. A couple of us go to a little hair place to get our hair cut because they are so unbelieveably nice to us. And Coach Winningham is underrated in a million ways...this is a guy who has quietly coached state champs, kids who have gone on to Ivy League schools, done his job, and he has never raised his voice or said anything unsportsmanlike to anyone I've seen in any competition. I enjoy speaking to him every time we see them.

When got to the 4x8 (and we are pretty good, we haven't lost to many people when we are full strength), the first leg comes up and wishes us luck. Nobody ever wishes us luck. Anjarae runs the anchor leg and we lose by about 10 seconds, but it didn't even bother me to lose. I don't mind losing to that group of girls. I told my kids, "look...you just lost to a 4x8 that is going to finish in the top 5 in the state, that's a good team to lose to", and they understood.

I think if Tullahoma ever had a physics job come open and were to offer me girls cross country, I think I would have a moving van in my yard. That's how impressed I am with the people and program at Tullahoma. And I don't mind being quoted on that. Keep up your own great work and hope for both of our sakes that more kids like Washington keep coming down the line so we can all stay sane. I'll be pulling for their kids and their Coach. If I retire the gentleman that Clester is, then that means I grew into that kind the person I wanted to be.