District 4A

softballisforfun

Coalfield beat Midway 9-6 in a non-district, Region 2 contest.

Oakdale traveled to Cosby, so we probably won't get that score until late.

How about Oneida at Harriman? Anybody have a score on that one?

Not sure if Rockwood played today? Anybody know?

Sunbright was idle/didn't play today. They go to Oakdale tomorrow for a key 4A clash which together with the Harriman at Oakdale game Thurs. will go a long way toward determining the final seeding for next week's district tourney at Rockwood.

Rockwood and Coalfield have already wrapped up the #1 and #2 seeds respectively.

---rSquared

Sunbright also hosts Wartburg on Wednesday, according to ladytigersoftballhitter33.

What time is that game, Kandice? Is it a day game (1:00) or a regular game at 4:30 or 5:00? Check for me if you don't mind. I'd like to try and come if it's not during the school day.

Thanks, goose, for the score and congrats to Jayme on the no-hit game.

Did you find out yet if Rockwood plays any district games this week other than Harriman, goose?

And, is the Harriman/Rockwood game on Tues. or Wed. CoachT has it listed as today (Tues.), while TSSAA has it listed as Wed. ??? :D

---rSquared

Edited by rSquared

Harriman at Rockwood today. This is Rockwood's last district game.

I think the tournament is going to be great. Any of five teams can win it. I think each of the five are about the same offensively. I think whoever gives up the least amount of walks/errors will win it. I know that's kind of obvious, but there isn't a team that can give it to a pitcher and have her strikeout 15 with no walks in this district.

The Lady Tigers took a 6 to 5 victory over the Lady Eagles today. Congrats Lady Tigers on a great win!!!

The Wartburg game will be at 4:30 at Sunbright tomorrow, they really need to win this one as well.

Can anyone tell me how the tie breaker will work? The way it stands right now Sunbright is 6 & 5, Harriman is 6 & 4, Oakdale is 6 & 5 as well. Harriman still has two district games left, Rockwod today and Oakdale on Thursday I think, so it can very well come down to a three way tie if Sunbright beats Wartburg tomorrow, Harriman beats Rockwood and then loses to Oakdale. Assuming that the scores are correct on the scoreboard that is.

District 4A Scenario:

#1 Seed Rockwood 11-1

#2 Seed Coalfield 9-3

#3 Seed thru #5 Seed--- Harriman 6-5, Oakdale 6-5, Sunbright 6-5.

Each team has one remaining district contest.

Sunbright plays Wartburg today. If Wartburg wins, Sunbright falls to either the #4 or #5 seed depending on the outcome of the Harriman at Oakdale game Thursday. If Sunbright loses to Wartburg and Oakdale wins over Harriman, then Oakdale is in as the #3 seed, with Sunbright as the #4 and Harriman #5 by virtue of both finishing 6-6, splitting the head-to-head, but Sunbright defeating a higher seeded district team with their previous 6-4 win over #2 seeded Coalfield. (Both Sunbright and Harriman dropped 2 games each to #1 seeded Rockwood). If Sunbright loses to Wartburg and Harriman defeats Oakdale, then Harriman is in as the #3 seed with a 7-5 record, both Oakdale and Sunbright would finish 6-6, putting Oakdale in as the #4 seed by virtue of a head-to-head split and a win over a higher seeded team due to their previous 8-5 win over Rockwood, and dropping Sunbright to the #5 seed.

If Sunbright beats Wartburg today, then Sunbright finishes with a 7-5 district slate and could finish as the #3 seed IF Harriman defeats Oakdale on Thurs. A Harriman win over Oakdale in this scenario would leave both Sunbright and Harriman with identical 7-5 district marks, but since they split head-to-head, Sunbright wins the tie-breaker as a result of having defeated a higher seeded team. Both Sunbright and Harriman lost their season series with #1 ranked Rockwood, but Sunbright split with #2 ranked Coalfield, while Harriman dropped both games to Coalfield. In this case, Sunbright would finish as the #3 seed, Harriman would finish as the #4 seed, and Oakdale at 6-6 would finish as the #5 seed.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that's the way things would work out!

#6 Seed---Wartburg or Oneida. Wartburg if they defeat Sunbright today. Otherwise, I believe they both finish with one district win each head-to-head and it would be a coin-toss.

#7 Seed---Oneida or Wartburg. See above.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above scenarios!

Reminder: District 4A Coaches Meeting is Friday, May 7th at Ruby Tuesday's in Harriman at 11:00 to set the seeds, draw up the brackets, and discuss the upcoming district tourney at Rockwood.

---rSquared

---rSquared

Harriman actually outhit Rockwood 9-5, but the Lady Devils had two runners caught stealing and another doubled off first on a fly ball to right.

Turner and the Rockwood defense made them earn everything as she walked 3 and struck out 10. She didn't hit any and no Harriman player reached on an error.

Harriman's pitching and defense wasn't as good. Brown walked eight and hit one plus three Rockwood players reached on errors. Plus Harriman missed the cutoff on a play and let a runner advance that eventually scored. If not for the throw, she would have been stranded at second or third at the end of the inning.

All-in-all Rockwood remains amazingly consistent (especially on defense). Harriman simply made too many mistakes to win.