what do you think about the 4a tourney

luciouscheetah36

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pitcher's "leap" as you called it, has been questioned once or twice during the season but has found to be perfectly legal by the umpires. She has been taught by Darrell Williams at Diamond Academy and still goes to him from time to time. If anything was illegal about her mechanics/delivery, I believe Darrell would have caught it and corrected it by now.

Just noticed that you referred to "pitchers" as in the plural sense, so I came back to edit this response.

BOTH our pitchers go to Darrell at the Diamond right there in Rockwood. Maresa Sexton and Jessica Underwood. So you could give him a call if you still have questions or doubts.

---rSquared

Edited by rSquared

:) NFHS Softball Rule Book states in Rule 2-33 Leap: A leap is when both feet are airborne prior to delivering the pitch.

Rule 6-1 Pitching Regulations (FP) Art.2c. the pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag away from the pitching plate prior to the front foot touching the ground, as long as the pivot foot remains in contact with the ground and within the 24-inch length. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher's plate is illegal.

Note1: is is not a step if the pitcher slides her foot in any direction on the pitcher's plate, provided contact is maintained.

Note 2: Techniques such as the "crow hop" and " the leap" are illegal.

Rule6-4 Art. 2... The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher's plate until the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.

These are the rules.

All of Darrells pitcher crow hop, it is just if the ump decides to call it or not. He might even teach it for all I know, cause every one I have seen does it. A crow hop is easy to see, but not many umps call it. If the foot leaves the plate and then replants at or before letting the ball go, that is a crow hop. Its a great advantage on a drop ball if you can get away with it. The pitcher usually ends up sideways facing third when she lets the ball go. Most good pitchers can usually fix it if the ump says anything. Watch the heel of the pitcher. The toe will be pointing at the ump to start, then at replant, be pointing at third. That is not dragging away, that is moving your foot off of the plate and replanting it. My catching instructor told me that you can't get away with that in college like you can in high school and travel ball, and that I should help any pitcher that pitches to me to fix it.

Not all of "Darrell's" pitchers crowhop or leap. Rockwood's pitcher doesn't, and she started out training with him. I know for a fact that he does not teach this to his students. As a matter of fact, I witnessed Darrell telling a student that it was an illegal pitch, and worked with this pitcher to stop doing it.

How about that 1st baseman at RHS? :)

Well, all i have to say about the "crow hopping" is that if the umps call it then you just have to fix what your doing wrong or try anyway, but it is also illegal to step off the back of the rubber when you pitch too. and alot of girls do that at this tournament and i don't ever here anyone tell them to quit stepping off the back of the mound. I think all the talk about crow hopping started when that upset Rockwood mom yelled she's crow hopping to the umps and susie told her to shut up or leave the ball field.

There for a minute I thought we was talking about slowpitch. There's a big difference in "replanting" and "pushing off the rubber"" Replanting" allows you an extra step closer to the batter, while "pushing off" is using your leg muscle to put more "mustard" on the pitch. Somebody needs to watch more college ball, why else would these college and MLB baseball pithers workout with their legs constantly??????? To "PUSH OFF" with!!!

In TSSAA High School ball it is not illegal to step back on the pitch. However, if a pitcher gets in a habit of doing this she may have trouble in summer travel ball where you must have both feet on the rubber per ASA, NSA, and USSSA rules.

Edited by daisymae

Hey,

I currently go to the diamond academy and I think darrell is a wonderful man, as well as a great trainer. I go for my hitting and I watch his pitchers. If he sees a pitcher "crow hopping" or "leaping" he will stop them then and there and work with them for hours if need be to correct the mistake. He does the same with batting. When I first starting going he told me I had a terrible swing and he worked with me until it was fixed. If he didn't have the time, he had someone else that knew what they were doing to help. So, I know for a fact that he doesn't teach that. Also, I have hit against both the girls for Coalfield and I don't see where they "leap". I actually think they are good pitchers. Oh and by the way, I think Coalfield's doing a great job. Keep up the good work you all.

God Bless,

Kandice Heath #33

Edited by ladytigersoftballhitter33