weight lifting

baylaredraydaz

as lacrosse gets more and more popular, simply being able to twirl the stick better than others isn't necessarily the defining factor of how great a player is. How much do the teams around the area lift weights? do you feel its vital to a teams success? as state champs, we lifted twice a week at a minimum.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BIGRUSN

how do you lift 4 days a week and still have time to practice? do you do it before, after practice, that seems a little time consuming, and from what i hear MBA doesnt have a small amount of homework either.

My brother and I would usually lift before school. We'd usually go from 6:20 to 7:45. It wasnt exactly pleasant but being strong and physical is essntial. With all of the running/cardio you get in practice, 45 minutes to an hour of intense lifting can more than suffice.

Edited by Redtwin

this year at cbhs we never lifted, but we went old school and did push ups a lot at practice, we would do a drill where we would sprint the the restraining box, then do pushups, and then sprint to midfield and do pushups, etc... until we had done however much we were supposed to do

four times a week is more than enough for lacrosse i think, but if the players are willing to go in at 6 in the morning and no practice time is wasted then i think mba has some dedicated athletes. i think you can really tell a difference between teams who lift and dont lift, from what i saw i didnt think that webb lifted at all, because nearly all of them had cankles (no distinction between calves and ankles).

it doesn't take that long to get your workout in. i play football as well as lacrosse (lacrosse is better). one day you do upper body and the next your do lower-- four days a week so that you won't exaust yourself. it takes about 30 min after practice to get your reps in. i think it would definately improve the level of play in tennessee if players got in the weightroom more often. defense should abviously focus on everything-- they need to be strong. attack- more upper body and abs for faster, more powerful shots. middies- same as attack but probably more legs than the attack for all the running. i can't really think of a good reason for goalies to work out. i guess legs in order to make their steps easier. just some thoughts... i think the level of play would kick up a few notches if players were stronger.

whoa redtwin, we posted at the exact same time. creepy.

yeah i agree, the same goes for football too, power cleans are the best for an entire body workout as well as forming proper mechanics. But they also require the best technique and are hard to be good at.

Edited by baylaredraydaz

Since Farragut decided to shaft us and not sponsor us we arent allowed to use the weight room, so people have to do their own stuff or we can take a weight lifting class. The class really helps and especially explosion lifts like the hang and power cleans, also the jammers are probably the best thig you can do in my opinion.