Time to thank Memphis and the TSSAA

cartercountydufus2

Everyone please take time to send a message of appreciation to Ronnie Carter of the TSSAA and Memphis for putting on tournament. A sorry tournament where our girls had to play in Mississippi where we had no place to even sit to watch games on make shift fields, pay to park for events that are free other times and places and play back to back to back while baseball is extended 2 more days .Rest sort of helps a team.Thank them for allowing our kids and us to have to stay in hotels that should be 2 star because of filth and trash. Maybe enough letters will get us back in the same conditions next year. Make a few copies of your letters or e-mails and send them to Sports Illustrated and other magazines. People need to know how the TSSAA treats its softball ladies and that the all mighty $$$$$$$ is all that matters to them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain to me why we play in Mississippi? Last year the reason we were given was that memphis had built a complex but it was not ready. It is hard for me to believe that a year later; two years later it still is not ready. Until a group of schools saysNO to TSSAA we get what they dish out and they keep raking in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Again the white trash bag was presented to the coaches after the championship of the state tournament, and again no player recognition. Its all the same dont go out of your way to recognize the players just keep taking the money that should be TSSAA's byline.

Say what you want too about the city of Memphis but the fields we played on were in top condition and excellent playing surfaces. Outfields perfectly groomed and the infield surface was perfect. There was to me too much time between games but that is the state format. My only problem with Memphis was the panhandlers around our hotel.

Why would you want to thank Memphis and Tssaa,playing softball in Mississippi,late report of scores,which was not always accurate onTssaa scoreboard.If it were not for a few that reported the scores ,we may never know who won.The back to back playing for some teams,while others play and not have to play until the next day,and as far as Memphis goes nothing needs to be said.

Can anyone explain to me why we play in Mississippi? Last year the reason we were given was that memphis had built a complex but it was not ready. It is hard for me to believe that a year later; two years later it still is not ready. Until a group of schools saysNO to TSSAA we get what they dish out and they keep raking in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Again the white trash bag was presented to the coaches after the championship of the state tournament, and again no player recognition. Its all the same dont go out of your way to recognize the players just keep taking the money that should be TSSAA's byline.

Carter said last year that they weren't likely to move it away from Greenbrook if they were treated well there, and they didn't.

With softball in particular, some problems came up because a couple of people were so desperate to be associated with the Fling that they lied through their teeth about what they could and would do, and it created some serious problems in this area.

I'm not going to name names or what exactly happened, but like I said, the softball plans and staffing were dramatically changed Saturday morning because of the lying (not a misunderstanding, a flat-out lie), and that really wrecked some of the plans for getting softball up ASAP.

report of scores,which was not always accurate onTssaa scoreboard.If it were not for a few that reported the scores ,we may never know who won.

I understand in some eyes the TSSAA can't do anything right. But the Internet coverage of the Spring Fling in my view outstanding. Complete details of track results were on the website within 30 minutes of the conclusion of the meet. Baseball and softball scores were on the website within minutes of completion of the games. Box scores were up at the completion of each session. Soccer scores and line scores were done the same way.

There was an email notification of scores the instant they were received at headquarters.

No other state association comes close to having this type of coverage and to pull off this off was a tremendous logistical feat - when you have this much going on there certainly will be some errors. Go to any high school association website and see if you can find the same type of detailed coverage -- and remember what you saw on TSSAA was done in a timely fashion - but still people complain.

And all of this is FREE.

Yes it was free. Inaccurate but free boxscores. Also go to any other high school web site and see if you can find another state that plays their state tournament in another state.Spring Fling sucked as did everything else. Motels were nasty. People unfriendly. No stands. And 1/4 th of the baseball and softball teams eliminated before opening ceremonies. Girls forced to play back to back to back. Why? If I'm guessing right the complex was having another tournament this weekend. Heck with softball send it to Mississippi and get it out of our hair. We've already made ouir money from them.

Say what you want too about the city of Memphis but the fields we played on were in top condition and excellent playing surfaces.  Outfields perfectly groomed and the infield surface was perfect.  There was to me too much time between games but that is the state format.  My only problem with Memphis was the panhandlers around our hotel.

there's nothing like playing on rock infields. it's nice to see girls picking out rocks from their knees after sliding into a base. i also enjoy playing the games on men's softball fields. longer fences are great. how many home-runs ended up being only doubles or even outs for teams? i know one in particular had at least five, FIVE taken away. before last week, i was not a fan of those make-shift fences put up at different tournaments, but at least they were there. at least runs were given for the long balls. these home runs certainly would have made a huge difference in the games. i also loved staying in hotels with INAPPROPRIATE on every corner. i love having the tennessee state tournament in mississippi. it really shows how much tssaa cares about spring sports, softball in particular. thanks again tssaa!

Edited by QueenBee

there's nothing like playing on rock infields. it's nice to see girls picking out rocks from their knees after sliding into a base. i also enjoy playing the games on men's softball fields. longer fences are great. how many home-runs ended up being only doubles or even outs for teams? i know one in particular had at least five, FIVE taken away. before last week, i was not a fan of those make-shift fences put up at different tournaments, but at least they were there. at least runs were given for the long balls. these home runs certainly would have made a huge difference in the games. i also loved staying in hotels with INAPPROPRIATE on every corner. i love having the tennessee state tournament in mississippi. it really shows how much tssaa cares about spring sports, softball in particular. thanks again tssaa!

I hate the kitty litter infields too, but they do help in the event of rain.

The temporary fences were up when I was down there on Tuesday, depth in the 230-240 range. So what if there were less homers. Baseball teams don't whine about playing someplace that's 350/380/420 instead of 300/340/370.

If you stayed at hotels with, um, street walkers at every corner, you apparently were too stupid to find out where you're staying. Let me give you a hint that one of the teams apparently didn't get (by the fact that the hotel wasn't on the list): staying at, say, Brooks and Airways is just stupid and asking for trouble.

To the best of my knowledge, all the hotels on the official list were in pretty good neighborhoods. Welcome to urban life. Know where you're going, know what's going on around you, act like you know what you're doing, and you'll be fine. If you don't have a clue what's going on around you, you're just begging for major problems. If the hotel's only charging $30 a night or something, you might want to consider what you're getting yourself into. We can't help stupidity.

Captwillie, I realize that the fields at Greenbrook in no way compare to the great complexes in 8AA but hey you can't have everything. The surfaces were the same mix as most good complexes. Clay infield mix topped by turface (what you refer to as kitty litter) which is a dressing to help drain as well as prevent clumpping. The surface was crowned well and was very true on ground balls. Our girls had no problem with strawberrys etc from the infield when they slid. The outfields are bermuda grass and they have not fully matured but they were fine. I have seen and played on more surfaces than you have ever dreamed of including the field they are playing the college world series on. Compared to Warner Park in Chattanooga these fields were exceptional.

Opperman, as far as the hotels, after not being able to find rooms from the "list" the sports authority hooked us up with the Best Western at Third and Union. What a great place. I was approached by at least 5 panhandlers every time I left the hotel. That wa the only real problem as we were close to Beale's Street and the Rendevous and I ate my weight in ribs. I lved for two years from 74 to 76 in the Goodman House on Manasses Street and the neighborhood was pretty rough then.

Edited by std