Public/Private at Spring Fling

Actually my glasses tend to be tinted a shade of BBS blue!

Perhaps we all see what we want to see. I just see the public schools being more and more competitive against the small privates. This is the same thing that occurred in the early 90's as the small privates began to be more competitive against the small publics.

Yeah...more and more competitive...who knows...the small publics may win a title someday...ya think?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, track and field.

for what it is worth:

boys-

4 single A private schools scored, to only one public. and that was only one kid.

girls-

8 single A privates scored, compared to 2 publics with a total of 3 girls.

i didnt count the private participants, because i dont have the time.

but it does get more competitive when the privates match up with public schools twice their size. go figure.

BTW, I do not mean to diminish the hard work, dedication and performances of any of the athletes in any sport from any school, male or female.  They are all worthy of honor and respect.  It is just becoming more and more clear to me that there is not much difference between the public and private schools on the fields of competition.

SuperSteve, here is the difference:

6. Cory Herbert-came to GHS in 10th grade from another private school(DCA) to play for a better program.(copied from the Baseball Forum 'Mt.Pleasant vs. Goodpasture, Class A Championchip Game' thread)

RHSfan

ah, track and field.

for what it is worth:

boys-

4 single A private schools scored, to only one public. and that was only one kid.

girls-

8 single A privates scored, compared to 2 publics with a total of 3 girls.

i didnt count the private participants, because i dont have the time.

but it does get more competitive when the privates match up with public schools twice their size. go figure.

Did we see the same track results? Maybe I missed something. The results I saw only had two teams finishing in the top ten and only four in the top twenty in boys' track. I think in girls' track the results were very similar. (This is from memory -- it can be checked out at the tssaa website.)

BTW, I do not mean to diminish the hard work, dedication and performances of any of the athletes in any sport from any school, male or female.  They are all worthy of honor and respect.  It is just becoming more and more clear to me that there is not much difference between the public and private schools on the fields of competition.

6. Cory Herbert-came to GHS in 10th grade from another private school(DCA) to play for a better program.(copied from the Baseball Forum 'Mt.Pleasant vs. Goodpasture, Class A Championchip Game' thread)

RHSfan

Are you implying that this has never happened in the public school sector or with private school kids going to public schools?

"Did we see the same track results? Maybe I missed something. The results I saw only had two teams finishing in the top ten and only four in the top twenty in boys' track. I think in girls' track the results were very similar. (This is from memory -- it can be checked out at the tssaa website.)"

sure we saw the same results.

comparing SINGLE a schools, the privates had:

boys- 11 individuals and 3 relay teams scored 80 points.

girls-15 individuals and 4 relays teams scored 118.5 points.

from SINGLE a public schools:

boys- 1 individual scored 17 points

girls- 3 individuals scored 9 points

i always liked comparing apples to apples.

so the totals were:

privates-26 individuals and 7 relay teams-198.5 points

publics- 4 individuals and no relay teams-26 points

you are right, this is the closest it has ever been.

the teams you are so glad to point out CAN compete with the single a privates...

those are the teams they will be playing with the multiplier.

RHSfan

Are you implying that this has never happened in the public school sector or with private school kids going to public schools?

SuperSteve, it doesn't happen very often in the rural single A publics.

RHSfan

"Did we see the same track results? Maybe I missed something. The results I saw only had two teams finishing in the top ten and only four in the top twenty in boys' track. I think in girls' track the results were very similar. (This is from memory -- it can be checked out at the tssaa website.)"

sure we saw the same results.

comparing SINGLE a schools, the privates had:

boys- 11 individuals and 3 relay teams scored 80 points.

girls-15 individuals and 4 relays teams scored 118.5 points.

from SINGLE a public schools:

boys- 1 individual scored 17 points

girls- 3 individuals scored 9 points

i always liked comparing apples to apples.

so the totals were:

privates-26 individuals and 7 relay teams-198.5 points

publics- 4 individuals and no relay teams-26 points

you are right, this is the closest it has ever been.

the teams you are so glad to point out CAN compete with the single a privates...

those are the teams they will be playing with the multiplier.

That "apples to apples" thing is a nice theory. In reality, there is no such thing as single A and AA in track and field since they are lumped together for track and field. The single A privates did not dominate the A-AA track and field state meets -- either boys or girls. That is the point I made and I believe it is true.

RHSfan

RHSfan

But it does (and can legally) happen?

"That "apples to apples" thing is a nice theory. In reality, there is no such thing as single A and AA in track and field since they are lumped together for track and field. The single A privates did not dominate the A-AA track and field state meets -- either boys or girls. That is the point I made and I believe it is true."

actually it was about half a joke. there are no apples to apples comparisons to make in this discussion. despite my predilection for seeing unified competition, after spending much time wading thru the numbers i can find no supportable argument for privates and publics to compete for "championships". no matter how it is sliced, private schools win the vast majority of the time.

none the less, comparing privates to publics by student population, football 1-A private schools are a force against public schools three times their size in the 3 class and 2 class sports. the public schools in the same football class might as well not even exist.

sure, public schools 3 times the size of the ABC's took both track titles this year. you failed to mention that broke a 3 year string of private champions on the boys side. you also left out the fact that privates won (based on the tssaa-site spring fling results) all 6 of the other team titles this year. and this is your example of privates NOT dominating?

so there was no "point" here. just a couple of isolated factlets lifted from a vast pool of available data. you started the thread speaking of a cycle. you decry the idea that privates dominate. everything you need to make a point is available to you. so why not do it? show me the numbers.

RHSfan

RHSfan

But it does (and can legally) happen?

There is a young man who played baseball at FRA as a sophmore, Tullahoma as a junior and Brentwood as a senior. By the way, all within the rules.

Edited by Bighurt