What DI's are going DII?

The private schools in Mississippi are much smaller than the ones in TN. The largest, and probably the best athletically is Jackson Prep, which does not have as many MALE students as, say MUS.

It is not a coincidence that the private schools are smaller, and the public schools are larger (since most kids choose to go to public over private). I'm telling you, pound for pound, the publics in MS would beat the publics in TN. Moss Point High School has a better tradition (just one example) than any other PUBLIC school in TN...I'd say MBA might have been better nationally the last few years though...but this is public to public. One must realize, that the largest city in MS is Jackson, which probably has around 350-400,000 so population must be taken in to account.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly from the discussions back at the wrestling state tournament, the main schools coming from DI to DII are what are commonly considered the alphabet privates in the Nashville. I think that this can only make the competition amongst the small privates better and quite posibly elevate the status of some of these smaller schools after a few years of competition with their fellow private schools.

Also, on the other topic being discussed here in as a Memphis resident I get to see many matches and scores where TN schools play those from MS and I seem to remember many wins for the TN teams but most importantly some great games with our nearby neighbors...

My opinion is that MS football is better than TN. I am also from Memphis. Olive Branch and Southaven would probably beat the majority of the 5A Memphis schools, but not all of them. I dont know where you classify SBEC, who won the last D2-A state championship and competed in the two state championships before that...They are located in MS, but play in TN.

Olive Branch and Southaven always seem to have very dominant teams. As far as SBEC goes I think I would have to classif them as a TN team since they compete in the TSSAA and I know a large majority of their student body comes from our side of the border. But, if you look at some sports other that football ( even though I know that is the basis of this thread ) I think you will see that Memphis and TN definitely hold thier own.

Edited by WrestleSBA

Good work, GWAVE.  Ego, I, too, did not follow your comment.

GWAVE, you wouldn't happen to have individual TN schools' records vs. MS teams, would you?

It will take some time but I can get them for you. Keep checking on here and I will see what I can come up with.

Well like I said it took some time. The revised total for the past 10 years are as follows. Tenn vs Miss totals revised are 42-71

Millington 2-2, Southside 0-4, MUS 4-1, Bishop-Byrne 1-3, SBEC 0-3, Hardin Co 5-5, Ripley 0-2, Wooddale 1-4, Mem East 4-1, Middleton 1-4, Briarcrest 3-1, Treadwell 0-1, Collinwood 1-0, FACS 1-3, Mem Central 4-2, Hamilton 0-1, Trezevant 2-3, Hillcrest 0-2, Kingsbury 1-2, Mem Northside 0-2, Adamsville 1-1, St.Benedict 0-1, Raleigh-Egypt 1-3, Mem Catholic 0-4, Riverside 2-0, Kirby 1-2, CBHS 0-2, Houston 1-1, Fayette-Ware 0-2, McNairy Central 1-1, Ridgeway 0-1, Westwood 0-3, Harding Aca 2-0, Brentwood Aca 1-0, Loretto 0-1, Tipton Rosemark 0-1, Westside 0-1, George Carver 1-0, MBA 1-0, and Mem Overton 0-1.

Whew....hope that helps everyone who is interested. Sorry I did not place them in any specific grouping.

Thanks, GWAVE. I appreciate the time you put into the research.

As I expected, Tennessee definitely hasn't put all of its best teams up against MS schools (in the same breath, I'm not sure what they have put up against us). No Germantown games versus MS schools? Probably a smart move for most MS schools to avoid them.

Also, FWIW, I'm pretty sure CBHS beat South Panola out of Batesville in 1995, so they have at least one win.

The super 7 schools would do fine against the MS schools...I already admitted that MUS has handed it to Prep lately...but South Panola and Moss Point have been better the last few years than any other public school in TN besides possibly Maryville. Germantown doesn't play those MS schools, just as, they usually don't play MUS, or CBHS? It's not cus CBHS doesnt want to play them...its cus GHS chooses not to.

If you compare the small private schools in Mississippi (MPSA) vs their counterparts in TN (i.e. the small DI-Privates, and DII-A privates) schools like Boyd and CPA would dominate most of them (except only a few in the Jackson Area and maybe two others) year in and year out. However, there is a lot of rich tradition and great football that comes out of those schools every year. Most of their football programs have less than 25 kids on a squad (grades 10-12). This is not true of the larger AA and AAA programs.

• 2 weeks later...