what makes a good/great head coach?

irish

Ithink it takes 3 things to happen to make a good or great head coach

1. the school and the community must support 100percent.

2.he must have knowledgeable assits. willing to work as hard to achive the same goal.

3.there must be a good feeder program to supply skilled athletes. :P

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

The head coach and his assistants should have like philosophies, knowledge of the game, a love of kids, and a willingness to work hard.

Edited by region4fan

your players have buy into what your doing and understand your MO. They cannot doubt you. They can dislike you, disrespect you, whatever, but if the players don't buy into what you are trying to do, you're sunk. I saw firsthand in college what happens when players start doubting the staff. It will turn a very talented and good team into crap in a hurry. There are many other things, I agree with Irish and RebelRon. But they have to believe in you.

TO BE A GREAT COACH YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO TAKE PLAYERS THAT DOESNT HAVE MUCH TO WORK WITH MAKE THEM INTO A TEAM AND THATS WHAT GATLINBURG PITTMAN'S COACH BENNY HAMMONDS DOES EVERY YEAR

I guess the likes of Bear Bryant, John Madden, Vince Lombardi, Bill Parcells, Joe Paterno, Tom Landry, lou holtz, Joe Gibbs, etc don't make the cut... good call on that bias report!