Winning at any cost.

runtheball

It appears that winning is the only gauge used to determine if a coach is successful. What is more important, winning and selling out, or holding players accountable and playing with a player a little less talented , but does everything asked of him to be a team player only to be a back-up to a more talented ,less committed player. Championships don't mean alot if not done the right way. What do you think?

You would think that the bottom line would be winning,but its not.You have to win the right way.A coach that sticks with a program for 20 years,and gets no championship gets more respect in my book,than a coach that goes from one winning team to another to get a ring.I call it "The Phil Jackson disease" As far as players go,you have to put the kids out there that deserves the playing time.High school football is more than just winning and losing,you have to win and lose the right way.I have seen alot of talented kids,not playing because they didn`t have heart needed to play a team game.If you have a kid that give 110% in practice and games,it will be better in the long run if he plays,than a kid that only gives 50%,but has talent.What does it tell the other players when coaches play the most talent kid,who don`t give all the have,more than kids that want to play very badly and give all they have?

Guest region4fan

It definitely shows when the kid who was the "superstar" in high school can't cut it in college when they have actually to follow some rules and no one cares who their daddy is.

I agree that life lessons are the most important to learn and usually when you learn the rules and follow the rules, you can have some success on the field. I would rather be from a respectable program that one can be proud of , than one that has a reputation of druggies, thieves, and thugs that may have to pawn their ring for bail money.( I am not speaking of any program in particular...so don't get the old panties in a knot!!)

Programs that graduate their athletes in the upper percentages of their class also are to be applauded.

BTW JC4LIFE, how is Marty doing at Jeff County???

BTW JC4LIFE, how is Marty doing at Jeff County???

825291333[/snapback]

All the players like him,as far as I know.They love his passion and fire for the game.Some the fans are still crying,but fans will be fans,you can never make everyone happy.As a whole,I think Jefferson County has embraced the change very well.We're just waiting for fall practice to begin,so we can learn the offense and start this thing off.I don`t think the short spring practice will set us back too far.These kids can adapt to change fairly quickly,since we`ve had different Head Coaches,with 3 different systems in 4 years.BTW which kind of D did Euverard run at Oakland?

You cannot have rules based on the talent of players. Every player should be resonsible for their actions, missing practice, late for team functions, not participating in team edeavors should be the same for the sub or star. As a coach, say what you mean, and mean what you say. Team is first priorty, don't just play the 11 best, but play the best 11.

You cannot have rules based on the talent of players. Every player should be resonsible for their actions, missing practice, late for team functions, not participating in team edeavors should be the same for the sub or star. As a coach, say what you mean, and mean what you say. Team is first priorty, don't just play the 11 best, but play the best 11.

825291358[/snapback]

Sadly thats not the way it is most of the time.Its true from the high school level up to the pros's,if you are a star player you can get away with just about anything.The James Bank thing at Tennesee proves my point,what is this he's 3rd time getting into trouble? Where I come from 3 strikes you`re out. We all know star players get special treatment,its nothing new.Its not right,but its nothing new.

Please don't mention any team or player,but any of you players that do everything have any comments. I know there are a few of you that are living proof. Sadly if you ask some players they want to win so bad they don't care, but I really feel for the kid that busts his butt and never gets the chance until the star gets hurt or QUITS then the coach expects this kid to step up and play. Most time this kid has such a big heart that he does great proving that all along that you can win with him.

You would think that the bottom line would be winning,but its not.You have to win the right way.A coach that sticks with a program for 20 years,and gets no championship gets more respect in my book,than a coach that goes from one winning team to another to get a ring.I call it "The Phil Jackson disease" As far as players go,you have to put the kids out there that deserves the playing time.High school football is more than just winning and losing,you have to win and lose the right way.I have seen alot of talented kids,not playing because they didn`t have heart needed to play a team game.If you have a kid that give 110% in practice and games,it will be better in the long run if he plays,than a kid that only gives 50%,but has talent.What does it tell the other players when coaches play the most talent kid,who don`t give all the have,more than kids that want to play very badly and give all they have?

825291324[/snapback]

Hey JC4life you don't think S.M. now in Blount Co. has the PJD do you????? :)

What do you all think about this. A young man who I know who plays football at a local school told me he was told not to be disappointed because he would not start. This young man has worked his tail off this summer. He has the third highest total on the teamin the weightroom. He has done everything the coaches have ask of him. And he is very talented. He will be a soph. THe reason he was told he would not start at fullback is there is a kid who played his freshman year came out and quit his soph. year came out and quit his junior year, came out in the spring and only showed up about 1/2 to 2/3 of the time. He is going to play this fall and the coachs told him the quiter is not better than him but he is a senior. And deserves first shoot because he is a senior.

What do you all think about situaions like this.

I think if a coach takes a young kid who didn't show much respect or anything like that and by his senior season turn him into a fine young man with morals and respect then his job as a coach is done, regardless of how many state titles or playoff wins he has amassed during his tenure.

Isn't it amazing that most people, this includes principals and fans, see only wins and on the field success as being a good coach. I know a coach who could not look in the mirror at himself because he had gone against what he knew was right. All the success in the world can not get that taste out of his mouth. Coaches please don't fall in this trap. Play the kids that earn it and are team players and you will sleep alot better.