What ever happened to the tough guys

wiseguy

nodoubt, you nailed it.

some are as tough as they used to be but some arent because they dont wanna be.they arent dedicated to the idea of "team". to me the team comes first, before an injury or before a scholarship. the post made about an inner city kid trying to get out of a bad neighborhood on a scholarship. i'll by that. but a kid can play with a broken hand or something like that as long as its not a leg or head injury usually it will heal and wont hurt your performance. and if im a college coach im looking for a guy that is willing to play hurt. it shows heart.

i think trainers are a good idea if they know what they are doing. some trainers will think an injury is way more serious than it is and cost a player a few games when he shouldnt have missed more than 1.but some trainers are very good at what they do. and i think most kids know when they are hurt and when they are injured, you should know your body well enough to tell the difference.

"if you can walk, you can play."

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nodoubt, you nailed it.

some are as tough as they used to be but some arent because they dont wanna be.they arent dedicated to the idea of "team". to me the team comes first, before an injury or before a scholarship. the post made about an inner city kid trying  to get out of a bad neighborhood on a scholarship. i'll by that. but a kid can play with a broken hand or something like that as long as its not a leg or head injury usually it will heal and wont hurt your performance. and if im a college coach im looking for a guy that is willing to play hurt. it shows heart.

i think trainers are a good idea if they know what they are doing. some trainers will think an injury is way more serious than it is and cost a player a few games when he shouldnt have missed more than 1.but some trainers are very good at what they do. and i think most kids know when they are hurt and when they are injured, you should know your body well enough to tell the difference.

"if you can walk, you can play."

825307570[/snapback]

Amen!. This is football. It's high school football. You're not in Jr Pro or Pee Wee anymore. You're there to be a part of a team and to give what you can give to benefit the group.

It's still easy to seperate the true team players. They're the ones that will try to play through it all.

Amen!. This is football.  It's high school football.  You're not in Jr Pro or Pee Wee anymore.  You're there to be a part of a team and to give what you can give to benefit the group. 

It's still easy to seperate the true team players.  They're the ones that will try to play through it all.

825307620[/snapback]

You guys are hard core. I like it!

It's not about being physically tough. It is about being mentally tough. I thinks kids today lack the mental toughness to play through the pain. You spring your ankle now and you are out for 2 weeks. if you sprang your ankle 20 years ago, you taped and went on. Alot of it has to do with lawsuits now. If a kid goes to the trainer with an injury, the trainer has to cover him or herself and the company they work for. They can't afford to put a kid back in action that is complaining about an injury. It goes back to mental toughness.

I'll give a little different twist to the same take many of you have. Kids today are just as tough as when we were kids. When we were kids, our parents' generation said the same about us. Their parents said the same about them.

As technology increases, each generation lives a softer life, overall. However, that doesn't mean that kids aren't tough. As one person posted....it is a MENTAL toughness. My son is one of the worst kids I know when it comes to things like playing Xbox, watching TV, etc.....but, he also gets out and cuts a lot of grass for his part time job. He also gets out and does construction and helps plant, cut, and house tobacco. He is like many of the other kids on our team and in our community. They are spoiled to an extent, but they have good parents who still teach them traditional values. We were spoiled compared to what our parents had.

I am going to use Greenbrier as an example because they are the only ones I know. Those kids play tough as a whole. You have your onesies and twosies who don't, but as a whole the team plays very tough and the team plays hurt. We've had a kid play with a cast on his arm. We've had a couple play with fractured fingers, or separated shoulders, etc. But, I know they aren't the only team who does this.

So, my take is don't go trashing today's kids as a whole. Some are weak. We had just as many weak players 20 years ago as we do today. As a matter of fact, I'd say our guys are tougher because I know they hit a LOT harder than we did in high school. Plus, today's football players are a LOT bigger and faster than in our day.

If you want to talk about toughness, maybe we ought to go back to the day with just a leather helmet and no facemask....no hip or knee pads.....no shoulder pads. Let's just go out there and have at it!!! STREET BALL BABY! That's where the real tough guys are!