Has TSSAA dropped the ball

4AFAN

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that a lot of people that make these claims don't realize why Maryville wins.  Maryville wins for 2 big reasons...Discipline and Depth.  Those are two things that will not go away when we get to 5A.  Maryville has a good 90 kids go out and work their butts off every single year, why?  Because since middle school they've dreamed of being state champions and they want to go out and make that dream a reality.  George Quarles is at Maryville to stay (opinion), because he likes it here, he has family and friends that are keeping him here.  Our other, less heralded, coach that brings us so much success, Coach Ellis, has been here for some time and he's here to stay.  The discipline and will to win are alive and well.  Maryville doesn't really win games so much with their depth, they develop the future with their depth, and they have they have consistentsy with their depth.  In 2002 Maryville had a TON of injuries, but hardly anyone could tell because the backups filled in just as well as the starters did.  Thats how their depth helps them, and they don't have this depth because they are a big school, they have it because they are a successful program.  Now what I don't understand is that no matter what, if Maryville goes up to 5A and wins consistently then MBA and the privates will whine, "You're not the best in the state until you beat us!"  and its basically a never ending game.  So quit your whining and wait until Maryville gets up to 5A then if we will see who gets to say, "I told ya so!"

825312836[/snapback]

Interesting comment, seeing that it was “whining” by an assortment of Division I schools that caused the majority of the privates to be banished to Division II.

If one were to perform an exhaustive search on this site, one would find that the “whining” done by private schools as to who’s best in the state has been done largely in response to Division I supporters of a select few schools forcing a “we’re the best” attitude down everyone’s throat. Similarly, some private supporters have been guilty as well of a little too much braggadocio and chest-thumping, but there are a lot less of us on here. All this said, I certainly don’t mean to imply that everyone is like that. REBELRON, for example, is probably the most diplomatic Maryville supporter on the board, and I admire his tact in discussions like these. I also think he would be one of the first to remind everyone, including fellow Maryville supporters, that there are plenty of other “successful programs” out there with “discipline and depth” with kids that have “dreamed of being state champions”. I admire Maryville, for what the teams have accomplished on the field, for the passion of the game exhibited by the fans, and for the resiliency of the players and fans not to be overly affected by some of the idiotic jabs thrown by detractors. But let’s be real – Maryville certainly isn’t the patent holder for depth, discipline, and high aspirations and standards.

Division II’s, and particularly the Super 7’s, record versus I-5A and I-4A has been discussed many times on this board. The numbers are lopsided in Division II’s favor, and those numbers (wins) have been achieved, in many cases, versus certified powers in both classes. Just recently, the past two I-5A champions owe their lone losses in each season to non-champions from the Super 7. Supporters of private schools, and of Super 7 schools in particular, have earned the right, on a real, regular season field and schedule, to “whine” to be included in the discussion of who’s best. I do agree that the argument is a never-ending game, and it always will be no matter in what classification any school plays, but can anyone name a good reason why, for example, an MBA, with a fabulous record versus a loaded in-state and out-of-state schedule the past seven years, shouldn’t “whine” to be included in such a discussion?

The fact of the matter is that there are probably a half-dozen programs that can be considered in a group of “best-in-state” (and yes, Maryville is absolutely one of them). There is no one “best-in-state” program/team, though. Name me any program and I can give arguments for and against.