Look at this

CoachGonyeaSHS

Masters,

That is a good idea with the single elimination district dual, but for this season I believe it may be to late to all the district coaches to get together and make a decision. Next season there will be all new classification and regions, so maybe next year this problem may be solved. Maybe I should just shut up and let this issue go because it is not going to change, and I guess we can live with for the year.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked the handbook, and districts have essentially been abolished in wrestling as far as being a required level of competition. The region may select its dual meet champion by any method the region's members choose.

TDArtist, at A/AA level, the section is the basic unit, so your small schools would also wrestle the Knoxville ones in the duals.

That is correct you are not required to wrestle all the teams in the district, but thats leaves you open to alot of debate at times of who is the district champion. I would like to propose that we in region 5 start a 1-day district dual tournament. This may only apply to district 9 which is the larger of the 2 districts. I think it is a good idea and if we in region 5 could get organized maybe we could get this done by November. I would assume that this district dual would not count towards your regualr season 20 dates. We would host the tournament unless some other district 9 would like to have the tournament.

Edited by millerj

Jimmy....2 suggestions.

1. Have a single elimination district dual tournament on a Saturday or over Christmas.

2. There is no rule that says you must wrestle everyone in your district.  Our district does not.  For example, last year we did not wrestle Creekwood, but we were still crowned district champs.

I believe number 1 would be better for your scenario since most of the teams in your district are pretty equal when it comes to duals.

Johnny

Mark...Still no reply.

825322449[/snapback]

Johnny,

I have tried to e-mail you all day, my server keeps bouncing back my e-mail. But the word is no on the in school match.

Now, onto your point of District Duals. I really don't think you know our district as well as you think. Our teams are not as equal as you mention. We have not lost a district match in 4 years, and last year was a major down year for us. Our problem in the district is that some of us want to wrestle better teams, so we go out of the district. Then there are teams who do nothing but wrestle district teams 3 and 4 times a season. So then we run into the issue of a team wanting to claim district runner up because they beat team A twice but team B is saying that they should have it because they beat team A in their last bout. TSSAA needs to solve this problem by equally dividing the teams out by number of teams and then give strict guidelines about district championship. Right now, they say District championship can be decided by whatever method your district decides. That's absurd. According to this, we could come up with a Coin toss and have a more concise decision about who champion.

That is correct you are not required to wrestle all the teams in the district, but thats leaves you open to alot of debate at times of who is the district champion. I would like to propose that we in region 5 start a 1-day district dual tournament. This may only apply to district 9 which is the larger of the 2 districts. I think it is a good idea and if we in region 5 could get organized maybe we could get this done by November. I would assume that this district dual would not count towards your regualr season 20 dates. We would host the tournament unless some other district 9 would like to have the tournament.

825322669[/snapback]

Smyrna would definately like to host it. We have the capacity to run 4 mats and have plenty of seating. Also, Smyrna is a central location. However, I have been saying that we should do this all along. Call me Jimmy and we can start working on it. If you guys really want to host it bad enough, I wouldn't mind the haul to Tullahoma. You guys have a proven track record of running great tournaments with exceptional hospitality.

Gonyea

Edited by CoachGonyeaSHS

Thank you, our booster club busts their tail to pull those tournaments off each year and without them we couldn't have a tournament. If we could contact all the coaches in District 9 then I have no problem coming to Smyrna to wrestle a district dual tournament. The only catch is that if it will serve as a date this is a bad time to ask any of those coaches to drop a date that they have set earlier in the year. Although I still have 1 open date that I keep open for awhile just to see if something came along that we wanted to get in on. I think a possible date would be Jan 25 (Tues) with our region duals set for Jan 29 (Sat) at whatever schools has earned it this season. Mark and if this doesn't pan out for this season we should bring it up at the region meeting. This is all depending on what happens next year when the classification might change things, so we might have to just wait and see.

Thank you, our booster club busts their tail to pull those tournaments off each year and without them we couldn't have a tournament. If we could contact all the coaches in District 9 then I have no problem coming to Smyrna to wrestle a district dual tournament. The only catch is that if it will serve as a date this is a bad time to ask any of those coaches to drop a date that they have set earlier in the year. Although I still have 1 open date that I keep open for awhile just to see if something came along that we wanted to get in on. I think a possible date would be Jan 25 (Tues) with our region duals set for Jan 29 (Sat) at whatever schools has earned it this season. Mark and if this doesn't pan out for this season we should bring it up at the region meeting. This is all depending on what happens next year when the classification might change things, so we might have to just wait and see.

825323972[/snapback]

Give me a call, we'll work some things out.