Top Posters In This Topic

Defense play a good game. the offense gave the game to Campbell Co. The whole

offense need to be replaced. Coach Smith needs to replace QB,maybe few of the

offense lineman. Their is enougth good players on this team to have atlease

a avg offense. Coaching is the problem! Maybe coach seals needs to work with

the offense, He had couple of his best players out and the defense still played

good.

825317738[/snapback]

Replace the QB after the first game?? Give him some time, he's only a sophomore in his 2nd start(1st start against Davy Crockett, all he had to do was hand the ball to Charvez). Fumbling was a problem last night as was the O-line. I think that our o-line will get straightened out. #77 Stevie Ray, #73 Austin Coker, #55 Rob Davis, #35/60 Matt Southerland

What is the problem with the offense line? This is about the same line

we had last year. they would look good on one play, and the running back

would make a bad cut. I was at the game friday nigth, offense line looked

real soft right up the middle. Campbell Co middle linebacker never got blocked.

someone in the middle of that line has to block him on pass plays. Our young

QB was running for his life. We need to move some players around to get

the best 5 lineman on the field. We may need to move coker inside?

Well there wasn't much to cheer about on offense for the Canes vs. Campbell Co. and give the Cougars some credit for that. Although they are on the small side for a 5A team they are reasonably quick, and run to the ball effectively.

The O-line I don't feel is the problem, since it is mostly the same group we had last year and they were very good. There were some holes to run through but our backs did not hit the holes hard and looked sluggish. Maybe with the return of Jon Brown, and Blake Garretson the problem will improve, and maybe Kyle Vaughn or Boagie Greenlee could be the answer.

Our QB for the most part had a fair amount of time to pass but looked a bit tenative in pulling the trigger. I think Brad will be a good QB, but right now he is only a soph, and many of his passes floated on him, and he is not yet strong enough to break a lot of tackles, nor quick enough to avoid the pressure. These things will come with maturity, but that doesn't fix the immediate problem. Jerry Harris is more mature physically, but coach Smith's offense is somewhat complicated and from what I have been told he is behind Brad in being able to execute the offense. Austin Davis looked good running the option, but does not have a strong arm and would limit what you would be able to run offensively.

As for coach Smith being the problem, I don't think he has lost his ability to coach all of a sudden since last year. In fact he probably ran most of the same plays that was used last year. When you have a back like Francisco that is in the 210 pound range that can run over you or is fast enough to run around you, a QB in Palazolla that not only had a great arm but was elusive, hard to sack, and one of the fastest players in the league, and a WR in Simpson that had above average speed, good hands, and at 6'6" created mismatch problems with most DB's it can make your play calling look very good. All three of those players led the IMAC in their respective positions and accounted for over 3500 yards of offense last year. You don't find those types of playmakers every day, and they would make most offensive coordinatores look good.

The defense is very good, and gave up 0 points to Campbell County, but can not expect to shut out the likes of Powell, and M-West when they spend so much time on the field. I feel the offense will improve as the season progresses but at least early in the year Cane fans are going to have to be patient and let these players develope.

Edited by Sugarcane

Mr. sugarcane, if you read the sunday newspaper here in morristown, coach

Smith talk look we have know players at all. He said " we don't have the athleti-

cism right now to make the plays and do the things we have to do to have a

good offensive football team." This team may not have the offensive talent they

had last year, but this team has some athlete that can do the job. I hope the

player who read the newspaper don't get down on themself. You said give the

offense time, looks to me that the coach has giving up already.

Mr. sugarcane, if you read the sunday newspaper here in morristown, coach

Smith talk look we have know players at all. He said " we don't have the athleti-

cism right now to make the plays and do the things we have to do to have a

good offensive football team." This team may not have the offensive talent they

had last year, but this team has some athlete that can do the job. I hope the

player who read the newspaper don't get down on themself. You said give the

offense time, looks to me that the coach has giving up already.

825318851[/snapback]

BIGR35, it is actually Mrs. Sugarcane, but that is O.K. I don't think coach Smith is giving up, he said they don't have it right now, and from the first game I would have to agree they didn't show a lot of speed and athleticism Friday night on offense, with only 33 yards total offense. I hope the players don't get down on themselves either, which is easy to do especially when they are young and inexperienced. The defense is usually ahead of the offense at this time of the year, and I think the Cane O will improve as the season progresses, for if not it could be a long year.

East got to change something on offense. they will not win a game with that

kind of output. We have 2 more games before we start region play. We need

to try something else, what I hear is that this offense has been bad all fall camp.

why throw away the season waiting for our young QB to grow-up. O-line played

terrible at times. Who is the offense line coach? he had done a terrible job. this

line blocked for a 3000 yard passer, 1500 yard running back last year. They

looked confused on who to block, that is coaching. I am really up-set because,

I know we have the talent to make the play-off. Sugarcane, how long, or how

many game must we lose, before we try something else.

If you want to know what the problem is on offense look no futher than the graduation of 1600 yard rusher, 1600 yard passer and a 6'6 receiver. That is the problem with the offense so all of the posts about the coaching is crazy. East has an inexperienced QB and absolutly no RB that is very good. The biggest disappointment from friday was the OL. This is a veteran group who must play better in order for East to win. Look for a better performance on Friday night from both sides of the football.

shaunman2006, I think you are right so I'm going to give credit to the Cougars. They went on the road and did what they had to do to pick up the win, so congrats. From what I saw their O needs work as well to be able to beat the teams in their region, but either their D is very good or the Canes O is not very good, it is hard to tell at this time of the year.

BIGR35, I feel your pain, but I got to agree with roger on this one, your are talking about the same coaches basically that did such a good job last year, so I don't think they have been taking stupid pills over the summer, but rather lost a lot of talent on the O side of the ball. You also said why wait a year for a young QB to grow up? Who have you got in mind, they are both sophs and have very little experience, and although Davis is a senior he didn't even play football last year so he is very inexperienced as well. In high school you got to play with what you got and right now ALL the QB's have very little experience, and the only way to remedy that is to play. I'm sure that if one does not get the job done that the others will get a shot as the season goes along, because in my experience as a coach nobody wants to win any more than the coaches and they will play who they think gives the team the best shot at winning.