Clinton Dragons

OrangeCrush23

I was just finishing up some college homework and decided to come back to the site where I spent most of my time last year while being a senior at Clinton. I just wanted to say good luck to the football team and Shattuck for the rest of the season. I know it's been tough sledding the first 3 weeks. I was at the OR game, and there wasn't a whole lot to cheer about. I know it will all come in time though...one day we'll be on the high end of the score of the OR game. Even if it doesn't happen until my kid goes through Clinton, it will be exciting when it starts to happen. I know it will be kind of rough in the sports department at CHS for a while, with a ton of leadership and talent gone from the State Tournament basketball team. 3 senior leaders gone and a guard transferring to Halls if I'm not mistaken. But this is a football forum, right? Get some small victories under the belt and the wins will start pouring in. There's an OR guy in my spanish class at UT, and I asked him if he went to the game. He said "No, but I read about it. That's natural when we play Clinton." I thought, what a ######, a typical OR person I guess. You gotta kick their a for me, so I can have some pride when I say I'm from Clinton. I'll have pride anyway, and always be a Clinton Dragon fan.

A typical Oak Ridger? I know I am about to slammed because I am one of those Oak Ridgers but the Clinton game is not as big to Oak Ridge as it once was. Most people in Oak Ridge think of Dobyns-Bennett as our number one rival. We did a poll of the players and 32 of them said that DB was their top rival. Its not that Oak Ridgers look down on the game but in the past 30 years Oak Ridge has won 27 of them. Its not unusual for Oak Ridge to win this game. I really hope that Andy turns things around because the Clinton game with Oak Ridge isn't the same anymore to me either. That's probably what he meant. Its not a slam of Clinton. Good Luck against the Cougars.

Yes, a typical Oak Ridger. In my experience, I know a lot of them like that. Not all, but a lot. Well, the reason it made me mad was because his tone, just the way he said it. I understand that OR has had tremendous success against us, but it still makes me mad when someone disrespects my school like that. You would understand, like if someone from Clinton talked about if we beat you in basketball this year and said "Yeah, that's pretty typical of us." You wouldn't like it. Sorry if I offended anyone, but I don't really care. Shattuck just needs some time. It's been a while since Clinton has produced a player that really stands out to anyone. The last person I can think of is Matt Lopez three years ago. I know his players will play hard for him, but it's hard to achieve the type of success that Clinton has had in the past without many good players. A big factor is the size and speed. I understand the freshman class is huge, just like last year's. There were 300+ if I'm not mistaken, and this year's freshman class is even bigger. The middle school has been pretty dominant, so hopefully the players (and parent's) will stick with the rebuilding program and not transfer to another school. Who knows? Maybe we wouldn't have a 14 game losing streak if we had some of the players that went through the middle school program.

By the way I understand that us playing each other isn't the highlight of the county anymore. While it became oldhat for you to not even worry about us, it's still circled on our calendar (for me at least). It's always "This could be the year." To me, if we beat OR and lose the rest of the season, it's an ok season. It has a lot of history, as I was growing up I was taught to not like ORHS, because they're the enemy. I know they're tons of good people that live in OR, but they're still from OR and I'm from Clinton. It's just ingrained to not like them.

Edited by OrangeCrush23

No problem. I love the Oak Ridge Clinton game like you. I just grew up hating Farragut. As long as Oak Ridge beat Farragut I was happy. I have never really had a problem with Clinton but I do get tired of losing to you in basketball. Haha..Don and Chris have done a great job over there and the enviroment for that game is awesome. Maybe next year is our cry in basketball.

Is Oak Ridge and Farragut a rivalry? Or is it just personal to you. Well, I wouldn't really get your hopes up for a good basketball game between us like the ones you have seen for the past 3+ years. This is a rebuilding year. Lockard will still have them competing, but more than likely it won't be a Region Championship/State Tournament team. When you lose players like Mykail and T and AJ, it's hard to bounce back. Unless the name on your jersey is White Station. I don't know how updated people are with the players, I talked to AJ recently and he said that he was going to get immediate playing time at LMU, maybe even a starting position as a freshman. Not too sure about T and Mykail, but I'm sure they're doing fine. I do know that the coach at Wisconsin-Green Bay said T was the "gem of his recruiting class", and he would probably be playing power forward because of his shooting touch.

I guess Oak Ridge and Farragut was once a bigger game back in the day but it isn't so much anymore. In the 50's my mom says that Chattanooga Central was their big rival. In the 70's I think it was Central and Farragut. In the 80's it was Jefferson County and Farragut. In the 90's Central and Riverdale and in the 2000's Dobyns-Bennett. From 1958 to 1970 Oak Ridge and Clinton didn't play each other. I guess It depends on how you look at things. In basketball, Clinton is the rival though.

Yeah, basketball has been the game of choice for the Orange Crush the last 3-4 years. It just has a different atmosphere than football, it's so much more "intimate", because you're right there on the court. Even though last years team had so much success, I actually believe that the 01-02 team had more of a shot to win a State Tourney game. While we still had Mykail, AJ and T, we had Black Sharp, Jerel Beamon, Travis Marlow and Morrow, and Jesse Rodd (who was ranked the #1 forward in ET, maybe even the state at one point). Lost only one district game all year, at Karns where almost nobody wins. I believe we swept OR that year too. 2nd game by a layup and a free throw to win with 1 second left to play (still the 2nd best game I've ever seen, after Maryville in Region last year and it's tied for 2nd with Farragut game in Region last year). Unfortunately we were beat out by William Blount in the 1st round of Region. It seems like even though we have a supposed better team and more talent from top to bottom, OR always challenges us every year.

Edited by OrangeCrush23