Weight Certification

fhsd

Not sure how it will all work out yet.  However, if it seems unfair to some of the wrestlers on your team, it is probably the same on others.  This may have the effect of wrestlers who would have dropped a class and met each other, still wrestlinng each other at the higher weight.

I would anticipate some adjustment to the rules after there is some data to examine.

Oh yeah, you don't have to wait, come up with the very reasonable 12 bucks.

825382899[/snapback]

I would agree on many of the same wrestlers stilling seeing each other because neither will be able to drop. I definitely think there will be some adjustment to the rules after we live with them for a year. And in reference to someone's comment on not many wrestling coaches being mathematicians, I can name a few who could fit the bill...

And as soon as I finsih being a full-time college student, with a part-time internship, and a full-time volunteer coach then I can promise you I will be joining the PLUS members so I can rant and rave all year long. The $ is just tight right now, luckily I don't forget comments and can wait a while to make 'em.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree on many of the same wrestlers stilling seeing each other because neither will be able to drop.  I definitely think there will be some adjustment to the rules after we live with them for a year.  And in reference to someone's comment on not many wrestling coaches being mathematicians, I can name a few who could fit the bill...

And as soon as I finsih being a full-time college student, with a part-time internship, and a full-time volunteer coach then I can promise you I will be joining the PLUS members so I can rant and rave all year long.  The $ is just tight right now, luckily I don't forget comments and can wait a while to make 'em.

825382916[/snapback]

Glad the boards are open again. Good luck in you college classes this year.

Glad the boards are open again.  Good luck in you college classes this year.

825382919[/snapback]

Thanks for the luck, I can always take a little of that, but by this time in the senior year it really starts to get a little more like wrestling in that luck is great to have on your side but it is the hard work that pays off every time. Much like we keep telling our wrestlers the results will be there at the end.

Goodluck to you and yours this season as well.

My 145 was recently tested. He weighed 146 with a less than 7% body fat. The assessor told him that he could only lose down to 145.5 which will put him in the 152 class. Is there no way to fight this? The kid is tall and lankey and hasn't dieted. Heck, wrestling season hasn't even started yet. When we hit the mats Nov. 1, how am I suppose to keep him from losing weight due to the weight he will naturally lose during workouts?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but, if the above mentioned wrestler weighs in for a match at 144, he will not be able to wrestle, even at 152, because he is below the "standard" they have set for him at 145.5? If that is correct, can someone please enlighten me on how I can get my kids in shape without them losing too much weight and being able to wrestle at their optimum weight.

I understand the need for some kind of rein being put on weight loss, but to tell a kid that it is healthier for him to wrestle at 152, although he weighs 145, is ridiculous.

Can someone shed some light on this scenerio? I have tried to get some answers from R. Carter and Co. but haven't had any luck.

As an outside observer, it seems to me that the new Weight Certification is going to negatively affect the seniors that will be trying to certify their weight at a lower class for the Senior Nationals. For some that could mean the difference between wrestling in college or not.

Do the rules for weight certification apply to Tennessee teams for out of state tournaments?

i am having the same problem but it is a little more complicated...the hydration test i was 123.5 and i onli had 6.5% body fat and to wrestle i have to atleast weigh 124.6 which is my certified weight and i cannot go any lower or i will not b able to wrestle...so for me to wrestle at 125 i have to weigh in between 124.6 and 125 which is a little complicated to try and keep my weight in between those two weights...especialli since i have to gain weight jus to get to that weight class...well if anyone else is having these problems please post tso the people at the tssaa will see that this test is a little messed up....and if you hav any answers please leave sum...

thanxx

weeman580

Do the rules for weight certification apply to Tennessee teams for out of state tournaments?

825387548[/snapback]

The rules apply to all Tennessee wrestlers regardless of where they wrestle. If your team goes to Alaska to wrestle, you are still required to use the standards established during the weight certification / body fat test.

Weeman "...so for me to wrestle at 125 i have to weigh in between 124.6 and 125..." weeman580

Weeman,

I'm not an expert, but I don't think you've interpreted the weight certification rules correctly (at least, I hope you have not).

Both of my sons are in your situation (less than 7% body fat) and it is my understanding that they are allowed to wrestle at whatever weight class their weight on certification day allows (i.e. one son was 115# with 4.5% body fat. I understand that means he can wrestle 119# weight class, but will not be allowed to lose down to 112# weight class).

As I understand it, you will be allowed to wrestle in the 125# weight class even if you weigh in at say, 121#.

Of course, I could be wrong. If I am, someone please correct me.

Quick Advertisement......

Have all you Coaches and Insiders sent your team info to Matman (matmantn@hotmail.com) and TNranker (TNranker@hotmail.com)???

O.K. Good luck Gentlemen and ladies!

Bye the way, I thought that I was a stat wiz until i had to sit and try to figure out what each kid would have to weigh before dropping below 7%!!! Can there be some sort of supplement paid to the coaches that have to crunch these numbers and do the extra reporting???

What happens when kids move in to the School or come out after the start of the season who have not been certified.

825388718[/snapback]

They are to arrange a test with one of the certified testers in their area. They might come out to your school, but I wouldn't count on it. The more likely scenario is that your athlete will have to go to where the tester is located to have this done. The one key thing is that a wrestler may not participate in any matches, Fresh, JV, Exhibition, Varsity or anything else you want to call it until he has been certified by testing.