Which School is #1?

Guest Rebelnation

Guest Rebelnation

Which school in TN has it all? Which is the most rounded? The best mix of sports, academics, student culture, facilities, etc. You can base your answers on actual governemt or media polls, personal experiece, experience thru your kids or a combination.

For me, I'd make the short list as follows:

Maryville-the rebals had a whole lot when I graudated in 90, but MAN, has that place grown and changed. There is a whole new sports complex, thanks mainly to the Don Story family, the stadium is in the best condition in years and the football team, basketball teams and several other sports are thriving. Academics have always been strressed at Maryville and it just seems like they get better every year. The kids, for the most part, are still well adjusted, with manners and have obviously been raised well.

Oak Ridge-Football and academics eclipse everything else. I'm not sure if anything has ahcnged lately, but the school is an older facility. what they lack there they really really mkae up in GPA and teaching. The football program has a great, winning tradition that's easy to cheer for and for other teams to want to emulate.

Brentwood Academy-10 championships canot make a wrong!! Academics are stressed as well. I have never been personally to the school itself, so I can't speak to that part. I can say that all accounts put this school in everyone's top 5 for sure. Just lots of class and tradition.

These three schools are also regularly featured on most regulatory listings in the tops of TN state high schools and sometimes ranked highly even regionally and nationally. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A case for Montgomery Bell Academy….

The senior class of 2004 had 113 students – 21 were National Merit Finalists and 26 were Commended Students. Roughly 34% of the class scored 700 or better on the Verbal SAT 1; 24% scored 700 or better on the Math SAT 1. The middle 50% of the class had SAT 1 Verbal scores of 600-710; Math 610-700. MBA has sent numerous kids to Ivy League schools and top national universities over the years, including Princeton, Penn, Yale, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Brown in 2004. MBA’s Debate team is recognized nationally for its success.

MBA’s students are contributing athletically and academically, and in many cases simultaneously. Over 20% of last year’s senior football players were National Merit Finalists or Commended Students (how many schools have overall senior student populations where 20% of the students are Finalists/Commended Students?). The Valedictorian of the senior class was an all-state linebacker for MBA’s nationally ranked football team. The football team has won eight recognized titles (second in state history), including five of the seven “Super 7” titles, and has been nationally ranked three times in USA Today’s final poll. MBA has also earned other titles over its 137 year history in baseball, tennis, basketball, and other sports. Two former MBA student-athletes are currently playing in the pros – Hunter Hillenmeyer (who himself had around 1470 on his SAT) in the NFL and R.A. Dickey (former Olympian and UT GTE Academic All-American) in MLB. MBA is 8-5 all-time versus Brentwood Academy in football, including four Clinic Bowl wins.

MBA’s former students have succeeded in many walks of life. Bill Frist is the current Senate Majority Leader. Tom Schulman won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for Dead Poets Society. Frank Andrews was a chief Air Force figure in the early 1900s; Andrews Air Force Base is named for him. Bill Wade was the number one pick in the 1952 NFL draft.

There are many well-rounded schools in Tennessee, both public and private. MBA is definitely worthy of mention on any short list.

FULTON HIGH SCHOOL OF KNOXVILLE,TENNESSEE HAS THE BEST EVERYTHING!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FALCONS!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!

I personally know a few of the coaches that were basically hand picked to go to Ensworth to start the programs. They are very deserving. Great coaches and great men. Coach Pack, Caudill, Bowers will do a great job on the football end. The school and facilities are phenominal. I really like the "indoor practice facility" disguised as an auxillary 3 floor basketball gym. The campus is beautiful. Great location. Look for big things from Ensworth in the very near future, both in academics and athletics. :blink:

Maryville does have great academics. Maryville has a nice practice field,nice training facility,nice stadium and great coaches. They need their own baseball field though.

Alcoa has great academics. Alcoa has a great stadium and the nicest high school gym I ever been to.

Oak Ridge is one of the highest ranked academic schools in the state. Blankenship field is very nice.

Fulton's complex is outstanding. Very few HS in Tn (east, middle, or west) that can compare. Fulton's complex is not old compared to most HS. They can't build something new each year like UT. BUT, fulton lacks the high academics. MARYVILLE is a constant at the top in athletics and academics. MILAN is an outstanding in west TN. Of course most of the private schools would top all of the public schools, but that's like comparing UT and Vandy.

Guest Rebelnation
Maryville does have great academics.  Maryville has a nice practice field,nice training facility,nice stadium and great coaches. They need their own baseball field though.

Alcoa has great academics. Alcoa has a great stadium and the nicest high school gym I ever been to.

Oak Ridge is one of the highest ranked academic schools in the state. Blankenship field is very nice.

825363254[/snapback]

Ron, don't you think they should build a baseball stadium where the practice field is and practice at the middle school....or vice versa? Not sure if a nice baseball stadium would fit at either, but there's 2 spots that might work.

You think Alcoa's basketball gym is nicer than Maryville's? Is there a new one? If so, I'd have to take your word.