Gordonsville @ Monterey

xplay20

Well I have to admit, I thought G-Ville would win this, but I would also like to stake claim to telling a certain poster that tradition has never won a ballgame, that players win ballgames!

825373786[/snapback]

Players do win ballgames...but tradition is important too. In close games...that go down to the end...it is especially true. I have seen teams that refuse to lose when they should because of tradition. One game that comes to mind is Maryville vs Hillsboro in the state title game a couple of years ago. They were down the whole game until the final minute. They scratched and clawed and refused to lose. I really thought Hillsboro had the better team that year...but Maryville found a way to win. Those kids never gave up even though they faced a big deficit.

Trousdale was down to Livingston in the 1st quarter 19-0. They hadn't done anything at all. I knew they would come back and maybe win that game. They came back and went ahead 22-19 in the 4th. They lost the game...but they did come back. I think tradition had a lot to do with that comeback. Teams with tradition never give up...no matter the deficit. Teams with no tradition usually fold. Some differences in talent can't be overcome. That's what's wrong with Gordansville this year. They just don't have the number of players they have had in the past.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players do win ballgames...but tradition is important too.  In close games...that go down to the end...it is especially true.  I have seen teams that refuse to lose when they should because of tradition.  One game that comes to mind is Maryville vs Hillsboro in the state title game a couple of years ago.  They were down the whole game until the final minute.  They scratched and clawed and refused to lose.  I really thought Hillsboro had the better team that year...but Maryville found a way to win.  Those kids never gave up even though they faced a big deficit. 

Trousdale was down to Livingston in the 1st quarter 19-0.  They hadn't done anything at all.  I knew they would come back and maybe win that game.  They came back and went ahead 22-19 in the 4th.  They lost the game...but they did come back.  I think tradition had a lot to do with that comeback.  Teams with tradition never give up...no matter the deficit.  Teams with no tradition usually fold.  Some differences in talent can't be overcome.  That's what's wrong with Gordansville this year.  They just don't have the number of players they have had in the past.

825374914[/snapback]

Thank you Antwan you took the words right out of my mouth lol. I'll have to give Monterey all the credit apparently they are for real. G-ville must really be down however.

Thank you Antwan you took the words right out of my mouth lol. I'll have to give Monterey all the credit apparently they are for real. G-ville must really be down however.

825375117[/snapback]

I think Gordansville has a very good coaching staff...therefore they just don't have the players for whatever reason. I know several quit...and with the terribly unfortunate injury to a very good tailback (Chad Hunter) they are really struggling.

I don't know whether it was tradition or not but I can tell you Gordonsville defientely did not give up at any point in the ballgame. They have good players with heart. They kept playing until the final whistle blew, it was one of the best games I've ever been a part of. It was a fight to the end just like our coach told us it would be. Niether team ever gave up.

Looks like Monterey will end up in second place if they can knock off Watertown! Gordonsville will have to beat both Watertown and Clay in weeks 9 and 10 to make 3rd place.

825373812[/snapback]

ELA...where you that unimpressed with Watertown when you guys played? You are already conceding that Watertown pretty much has no chance for 2nd. They played Friendship's tail off for the biggest part of 3 and 1/2 quarters. Just wondered if you knew something I didn't????

I don't know whether it was tradition or not but I can tell you Gordonsville defientely did not give up at any point in the ballgame. They have good players with heart. They kept playing until the final whistle blew, it was one of the best games I've ever been a part of. It was a fight to the end just like our coach told us it would be. Niether team ever gave up.

825375189[/snapback]

That's what I was refering to when I said G-ville would beat you with tradition. G-villes' tradition goes back to coach Ford- Medley and now Dillard. Apparently your team finally has a coach that knows football, hopefully Monterey can start building a tradition similar to that of G-villes. Because Monterey has pretty much been weak when it comes to football. Good luck Wildcat 87 hope your team advances deep into the playoffs.