CPA gets scare

divepix

CPA squeeks by Davidson 19-7 in Coach Wade's return to his former team, CPA, as DA's head coach.

DA controlled the ball almost the entire 1st half by running effectively and not making any mistakes (no turnovers, busted plays and only 1 penalty). Ross Coffee is the real deal and DA's overall team size is rediculous for a 1A team. They have to be the biggest 1A team in the state. Coffee probably had 100 yards in the 1st half (70 on their 1st drive that they scored on).

Give CPA credit. They bent, but didn't break and held DA scoreless the rest of the game after DA's first possession.

CPA's offense moved the ball in the first half, but an interception on a good drive and lack of time of possession made it 7-7 at half.

The 2nd half CPA's depth again was the difference as DA's players were not as quick and CPA started shutting down Coffee and the run. DA also got several penalties in the 2nd half, in one case killing a good drive and try for a FG.

With under 4 minutes to go, Pollock hit Travis Sikes on a 60 yard home run ball that Sikes made an INCREDIBLE catch and run on. he got flagged for celebration after the catch and CPA missed the 35 yd. XP. After the kickoff, CPA's defense forced DA to give up the ball inside their own 10 yard line late and Sikes ran it in for the last score. CPA missed another XP.

For the 2nd week in a row, CPA's run defense in the 1st hald was less than effective; however, I believe DA is the most underrrated 1A team in the state - definitely a Top 10 team.

Edited by divepix

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good report DP, some stats

TOP DA 33 CPA 15 it was DA 19 CPA 5 at half.

Total yards. DA 222 CPA 235

Rushing yards 172 82

Passing yards 50 153

Turnovers 0 1

Individual Stats.

Ross Coffee, DA 29 att 125 yds 1 TD

Luke Landers CPA 7 att 63 yds

Receiving

Travis Sikes 9 receptions 112 yds. 1 TD

Passing Josh Pollock 21/14 153 yds. 1 Int.

Hope we don't have to play them again!!

Great job Paul Wade!!

Edited by robjim

Coach Wade had DA ready to play. I was amazed at the size of their line. These boys are big. Held Landers in check most of the night. Sikes came up with some big catches. Harrison will be a big player for CPA in the future. Good tough win, maybe we will get back on track the rest of the year.

It appears DA has improved since I saw them get swamped by DCA 3 weeks ago.  Was CPA just off of their game or is DA improved?

825373533[/snapback]

I think the DA team is progressing daily as Coach Wade has more time to put in his system and methods.

Also, I believe DCA's run defense and offensive line may be a bit better than CPA's. CPA starts slow but their depth and 2 platoon system make them a really tough 2nd half team.

DA is for real and could make waves in the playoffs.

Guest region4fan

DA came to Oakland's camp this summer and I was very impressed by their discipline, work ethic, coaches, and players. I wish them all the best and hope they return again this next summer.

ive been saying this for a while DA is a very good team, and this is just round one, i think these teams will meet again in the playoffs, i dont think cpa played bad at all. DA got the lead early and controlled the clock but cpa kept their composure. i will say that coach wade has done an incredible job with that team, enough talk about mt pleasant, wayne county and all those teams...get ready for davidson, cpa, and dca one of these teams will go to state