HS Football Rules Question

tee1up

Over the course of the past few years... I have noticed something in HS Football that I think is either a bad rule...or I don't understand it...and need clarification...

Here's the scenario...

Team 1 is on offense and it attempting to run the clock out at the end of the game. It is First and 10 to go...the Defense has two timeouts... 2 minutes left...

First Down...offense runs off tackle for small gain. Defense calls timeout.

Second Down...offense runs for no gain. Defense calls it's LAST timeout with about 1 minute to go...

Third Down...offense runs for no gain... and it seems that the defense has held and will get the ball back... BUT...

Offense runs the clock down to :38 seconds...and an offensive lineman jumps out of his stance...and is called for a false start...

Referee winds the clock again...Offense now can run the clock down to :13 seconds...

Lineman jumps again...Refs reset the clock and the game is over...

Offense, in effect...is rewarded for getting two penalties...

Is this legal? From what I understand...this is the current rule...

Over the course of the past few years... I have noticed something in HS Football that I think is either a bad rule...or I don't understand it...and need clarification...

Here's the scenario...

Team 1 is on offense and it attempting to run the clock out at the end of the game.  It is First and 10 to go...the Defense has two timeouts... 2 minutes left...

First Down...offense runs off tackle for small gain.  Defense calls timeout.

Second Down...offense runs for no gain.  Defense calls it's LAST timeout with about 1 minute to go...

Third Down...offense runs for no gain... and it seems that the defense has held and will get the ball back... BUT...

Offense runs the clock down to :38 seconds...and an offensive lineman jumps out of his stance...and is called for a false start...

Referee winds the clock again...Offense now can run the clock down to :13 seconds...

Lineman jumps again...Refs reset the clock and the game is over...

Offense, in effect...is rewarded for getting two penalties...

Is this legal?  From what I understand...this is the current rule...

825377017[/snapback]

This is the current rule. The ref can determine in his own opinion if the penalty was to intentionally run out the clock. He can choose to stop the clock or wind the clock. This is all up to the ref.

Here's a similar scenario that more coaches should take advavntage of. Same time frame as the previous scenario only this time you snap the ball and all the offensive lineman blatantly tackle all of the defensive lineman giving the running back a huge hole to run through. If you get the first down because you are holding the defense has no choice but to accept the penalty therefore costing them another whole down and again wind the clock. The defense can't win on this scenario.