Dekalb County Football

southernpride

I know some sports teams seem like they already have the team picked. Girls softball and the sport that you keep mentioning is the girls basketball team. Things run in cycles in this town some times there are more kids from under the hill that make the team but lateley it seems there have been more kids from up here that have just happened to make the team. So who is being unfair you talk about this alot just would like to know who is being unfair. You must be talking about girls softball and girls basketball. Everyone picks a little different and some have more thorough tryouts. Good luck to all sports.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The girls basketball coach is not from Dekalb. He is only picking girls that he knows can play. It's not like there is a lot of girl basketball talent in Dekalb anyway. As for bashing the head football coach, this is ridiculous. Don't get on here and bash him. Instead of poor-mouthing him, why don't you players try to work a little harder? Handle your business and hope your teammates are doing the same.

Girls softball here is a great team, so whatever they're doing to pick the team let it continue as long as we're still winning. Because in all reality girls softball and baseball are the only teams in DeKalb that really win anything besides the band, and we take all three of those for granted. I never hear anyone talk about how great the baseball team or the softball team is. Both of those teams won their district and made it to region play last year. The band isn't under rated but just because the band parents work hard to make them known and set their expectations high for the band, which the band usually always meets their expectations. I think what we really need to focus on is football and the boys and girls basketball teams. These teams are the oldest ones in our school and they're the worst ones in our school. The basketball teams were usually always good up until recently. So my question is what happened to DeKalb Co. basketball?

The girls basketball coach is not from Dekalb.  He is only picking girls that he knows can play.  It's not like there is a lot of girl basketball talent in Dekalb anyway.  As for bashing the head football coach, this is ridiculous.  Don't get on here and bash him.  Instead of poor-mouthing him, why don't you players try to work a little harder?  Handle your business and hope your teammates are doing the same.

825388930[/snapback]

No one is bashing the head coach, we're simply just throwing out suggestions on how to improve the program here. Everyone knows we need a new football program, and yeah most people do blame it on the coach. Which is an easy thing to do. If a coach has a loosing season he's going to get blasted by the people of that community any way you look at it, because he's the easiest target. I for one like our head coach. He's a great guy like I said ealier, and I don't want him to leave personally. I just think we need ALL our football coaches working more together and on the same page. Because if our coaching isn't in rythm then our team isn't going to be.

The girls basketball coach is not from Dekalb.  He is only picking girls that he knows can play.  It's not like there is a lot of girl basketball talent in Dekalb anyway.  As for bashing the head football coach, this is ridiculous.  Don't get on here and bash him.  Instead of poor-mouthing him, why don't you players try to work a little harder?  Handle your business and hope your teammates are doing the same.

825388930[/snapback]

:blink: You are wrong I think. The girls BB coach is from Dekalb. He lives in Smithville. Look in the phone book. You might be right, but some of the best talent(both boys and girls) may be sitting on the bench, or not even on the team, who knows? Guess we will see when season starts.

I know some sports teams seem like they already have the team picked. Girls softball and the sport that you keep mentioning is the girls basketball team. Things run in cycles in this town some times there are more kids from under the hill that make the team but lateley it seems there have been more kids from up here that have just happened to make the team. So who is being unfair you talk about this alot just would like to know who is being unfair. You must be talking about girls softball and girls basketball. Everyone picks a little different and some have more thorough tryouts. Good luck to all sports.

I know some sports teams seem like they already have the team picked.  Girls softball and the sport that you keep mentioning is the girls basketball team.  Things run in cycles in this town some times there are more kids from under the hill that make the team but lateley it seems there have been more kids from up here that have just happened to make the team.  So who is being unfair you talk about this alot just would like to know who is being unfair.  You must be talking about girls softball and girls basketball.  Everyone picks a little different and some have more thorough tryouts.  Good luck to all sports.

825388915[/snapback]

:blink: Ok, cleandog I guess you are right. I just think tryouts should last at least a week, ( all sports, boys and girls) Everybody has a bad day ever now and then.What if the a real good player had a bad day that day and didn't make the team? That is what I am talking about. Also, sometime HS basketball teams practice in the Middle school gym (boys and girls) and MS. practices in thier gym. The coach has to get to know those players . West School players never get seen. Also, why would they announce a freshman, at the football game and in the review, that made the softball team when they haven't had tryouts yet? I just can't figure that one out! Ok, I'll shut up .This is a football thread. LoL

Go tigers! ( All sports)

The girls basketball coach does live in Smithville, but is not a born and bred Dekalb Countian. He does not play politics because he doesn't know anyone. Trust me, if there was talent there, the coach would play them. The coach wants to win period. As for football, a new coach may be needed, but it seems the attitudes of the players also need changing. Of course, that attitude could be blamed on coaching, but who knows? Good luck Dekalb Co. athletics in 2004, it looks as if you are going to need it.

whataboutfutbol,

Soccer is a new sport and not very big in Dekalb County or most other middle Tennessee schools. I doubt you know much about the inside workings of the school or sports. Believe me, if you could help the team and not be on drugs or in trouble at school the coach would play you.

Softball has a fall team and this goes a long way into making the team in the spring. What you do in middle school also plays a factor in making a team. Coaches talk...to other coaches and teachers they want to know what type of citizen the kid is as well as player.

I can't believe there is already 2 pages of this stuff, but I know what happened, some got off track and started talking about other stuff, go to gossip.com or something like that, this is a football forum, and it started off good talking about the coaching situation at dekalb and whether or not a change is needed, which is a good thread to discuss, cause I can remember when dekalb was competitive and was not to be overlooked, and now, that's not hardly the case. coach cantrell has been there a long time in some facet, and has had good teams, but not any good ones in a while, that were actually contenders. it seems like an edge has been lost and who knows if it will be regained, so yes a change would probably be a good idea, get some new blood in there, cause there is usually some good athletes on every team they have, they could be a lot better.

Billy...

You are correct this has gotten off track. There needs to be more pride put into sports in Dekalb. It seems like kids have other interests than sports. Football is meant to be a very disciplined game, there is none on that team. I think somebody put it correctly when they said you could come and go with no real punishment. How many players came back to starting positions when quitting in the spring? Winning 9 games in 5 years is not going to cut it--ANYWHERE

Most wins and losses are on the players (coaches can't catch, throw, or tackle for the player), but poor leadership and practices and discipline is on the coaches.

Billy...

You are correct this has gotten off track.  There needs to be more pride put into sports in Dekalb.  It seems like kids have other interests than sports.  Football is meant to be a very disciplined game, there is none on that team.  I think somebody put it correctly when they said you could come and go with no real punishment.  How many players came back to starting positions when quitting in the spring?  Winning 9 games in 5 years is not going to cut it--ANYWHERE

Most wins and losses are on the players (coaches can't catch, throw, or tackle for the player), but poor leadership and practices and discipline is on the coaches.

825389464[/snapback]

Will the good old boy network ever allow them to bring in a quality head coach and some assistants? I know they have some good young guys on the current staff but there also needs to be some men with experience!

I see these boys every weekend. There is some size and speed walking the halls of the school. They need someone who will come in and work the halls and get a team together, then teach them a system that will allow them to win games. Then they need to keep the core of the team together and provide them with discipline and focus. Don't anyone tell me it can't be done in Smithville because I've heard that before! It can be done with the right staff and support from the administration.