Greenbrier vs Marshall county

green1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some "firsts", we never forget. The first time our kids rode a bike, or the first time they got a big award at school, hit a homerun or made a touchdown...but sometimes it's easy to not recognize "the last" times.

It just dawned on me last night that tomorrow night will be the last regular season Home game for the Senior Class of 2005. Not just for the football team, but for the classmates, parents and fans that cheer them on week after week. That leaves a lump in my throat.

My son is a member of the Class of 2005, and even though he is not a football player, so many of these players are his good friends. This Class of '05 is definitely a unique group, players and non-players alike. I think their performance in the classroom as a whole sets them apart academically, and extracurriclars and sports acheivements is icing on the cake. These kids take pride in each other's accomplishments, and I feel they will be there for each other for many years to come.

As parents, having watched these kids grow. from early elementary years through their Senior years, I am so proud of these young people at Greenbrier. From remembering the "first" football game when my son's friends starting playing as scrawny freshmen, through them more and more having roles in the game and being such an asset last year to the first Regional championship and ensuing run for the title, to this year, as these young men stand as THE role models and example for teams to come. These young men will always look back with the pride that they were part of something special...the Greenbrier Bobcat Football team, but even moreso, they will always be a part of the awesome Greenbrier Class of 2005.

We thank the Bobcats for being so much fun to watch, and we are so very proud of you. Make your last "regular" home game a great one...and let's bring the playoffs home to us!

EZ - there is just something special about Greenbrier all together. The kids come together no matter what the background. The kids decide who they will make their friends. They see the others for who they are not what they have. You do not find this in most small towns.

As for football - When we moved back to Greenbrier and my son decided to play for the first time (his whole life) in the 7th grade, I was told by a few people that he would never see playing time. I was told "you know how small towns are, they go by your last name, money, etc..." They told me other kids never get to show their talents because it is all one sided and who you know type thing. THEY ARE WRONG! Because of our coach's knowledge of football and my son's talents he is on the field! If I went and stood beside those coaches they couldn't tell you who I am from Eve! Oh they have probably seen me with Tyler, kissing him after a game, talking to him etc but they have no clue past that. I have not kissed anyone's bottom, paid them money, took them to dinner etc...It has been pure talent and the love of the game from my son, nothing more nothing less. Greenbrier coach's are not like that and that is one reason they have winning football teams!

Tyler was accepted for the most part by everyone within a short amount of time. Now he is in the 10th grade but feels as though he has been there forever. He will be the first to tell you that the upperclassmen have treated him with nothing but respect. They have helped him if he needed it and never thought anything about it. He told me that is the way it should be and the way it will continue to carry over with his class. He loves his friends, coaches, teachers, friend's parents more and more with ever passing year.

We are very blessed to live in a great community....

And before I forget, I pick Greenbrier by 10!

GO BOBCATS!!!!!

EZ  - there is just something special about Greenbrier all together. The kids come together no matter what the background. The kids decide who they will make their friends. They see the others for who they are not what they have. You do not find this in most small towns.

As for football - When we moved back to Greenbrier and my son decided to play  for the first time (his whole life) in the 7th grade, I was told by a few people that he would never see playing time. I was told "you know how small towns are, they go by your last name, money, etc..." They told me other kids never get to show their talents because it is all one sided and who you know type thing. THEY ARE WRONG! Because of our coach's knowledge of football and my son's talents he is on the field! If I went and stood beside those coaches they couldn't tell you who I am from Eve! Oh they have probably seen me with Tyler, kissing him after a game, talking to him etc but they have no clue past that. I have not kissed anyone's bottom, paid them money, took them to dinner etc...It has been pure talent and the love of the game from my son, nothing more nothing less. Greenbrier coach's are not like that and that is one reason they have winning football teams!

Tyler was accepted for the most part by everyone within a short amount of time. Now he is in the 10th grade but feels as though he has been there forever. He will be the first to tell you that the upperclassmen have treated him with nothing but respect. They have helped him if he needed it and never thought anything about it. He told me that is the way it should be and the way it will continue to carry over with his class. He loves his friends, coaches, teachers, friend's parents more and more with ever passing year.

We are very blessed to live in a great community....

And before I forget, I pick Greenbrier by 10!

GO BOBCATS!!!!!

825392866[/snapback]

Excellent post. I've been around GB sports for longer than I want to mention and I've continually heard the same thing from a lot of disgruntled people. I agree. This group of coaches want to win and they're going to play the ones that they think will help them do just that. They'll never be always right or will they be always wrong but they do what they think is right. It seems to be working.

I've been checking out the boards all week back and forth between several teams playing head to head this week. Looks like there are going to be good games closeby but none like this one between the Bobcats and Tigers. Isn't this the first time Marshall has come to Greenbrier?

Giving a "prediction" is hard on this one because I can't put my finger on the numbers. After reading the messages above, I've gone back and looked at the scheduling for both teams, and there is no doubt that Greenbrier has played some tough teams. Or maybe I should say more "winning" teams than Marshall. Their wins on their schedule look good until you start looking at the teams they have beaten which several have not had many wins all year. So, it's hard to compare Marshall's win against the win of another team when the beaten team has been beaten by almost everybody. This is NOT saying that Marshall isn't a good team. It's just hard to measure their potential without having seen them this year. I think the game with Greenbrier will be tough. It may hold some surprises for both teams in the plays that take place, but I still think that Greenbrier will have the upper hand. The Bobcats fans and support will be loud and proud, and the Bobcats confidence at home is much greater. (For the Marshall fans, you're entering "Bobcat Country" which is a "football frenzy zone"). I give the edge to the Bobcats who never say "die", so I think this will be a Bobcat win by 10.

As for Senior night menitoned above--there isn't enough that can be said about this Senior class. Seeing them go off in different directions at the end of the year will be a heartbreaker. They have been a "band of brothers (and sisters)" and they have made a real difference in the the small town of Greenbrier. This ENTIRE team has brought fans out of recliners on Friday nights into the football stadium! The Senior players were taught by the teammates before them, and now it's time for this years Senior players to pass the torch. You've set the bar, and lit the path well, guys. Thanks.

Go GREENBRIER----BEAT MARSHALL COUNTY! thumb

Edited by GreenbrierCat2

Gosh, with all this emotion and special farewell stuff to a very special Greenbrier senior class it seems like an already tough task for the Tigers is going to be a whole lot tougher.

Greenbrier is more physical, Greenbrier has better runningbacks, Greenbrier

has more experience, Greenbrier is the defending region champions,

Greenbrier beat Lipscomb..Lipscomb destroyed the Tigers. It goes on & on.

How in the world can Marshall County possibly stand a chance ?

Don't know. But they do. Not everybody believes that, but there's enough that

do.

Predictions...naah. Put on the pads & play it on the field.

May the best team win.

825392963[/snapback]

Thanks, Tigerman, but flattery will get you nowhere. :unsure:

Hope you all have a safe trip to Greenbrier!

The last time Marshall was at Bobcat field was 2001. This was not there first time either as Greenbrier and Marshall have played Home/Away series in the late 90's.

Good Luck BOBCATS

825393070[/snapback]

And that last game included one of the nastiest, quickest, coldest, and most windy games that I've ever seen. The night started fine with temps in the low 60s. Then light rain. Then, within a matter of minutes, the temp dropped probably 15 degrees, the wind came from the north and blew everyones umbrellas off the back of the bleachers (I'd estimate 40 to 50 mph gusts),and the bottom fell out. I bet we had an inch of rain in 30 minutes. I've been involved in some other football game monsoons, but never anything like this.

Gosh, with all this emotion and special farewell stuff to a very special Greenbrier senior class it seems like an already tough task for the Tigers is going to be a whole lot tougher.

How in the world can Marshall County possibly stand a chance ?

Don't know. But they do. Not everybody believes that, but there's enough that

do.

Predictions...naah. Put on the pads & play it on the field.

May the best team win.

825392963[/snapback]

tigerman,

I get the impression you are a little miffed at all the Greenbrier "talk" on here.

First, nobody around town thinks that victory is "guaranteed". Most folks (especially our coaches and players) know if we don't play our best, we could easily lose this game. However, we do EXPECT to win! And, to do that, you have to play your best against other good teams in the region. I don't think we played "our best" last week against Page and it showed.

Second, I would hope you guys are coming in here expecting to win. If you didn't, then you would need a new coach and new attitude in Lewisburg. Greenbrier is not "unbeatable". But, when they play their best, they are very tough to beat!

And, if you guys were to upset us, this town will still have the same feelings and emotions about this super group of kids that play football. It goes much deeper than W's and L's (although getting the W's are really fun!). It is about the attitude, hard work, perseverance, and togetherness.

Good luck to both teams tomorrow night. And, as you said, let's strap 'em on and may the best team win!