Venues at State

BigG

i dont think that the state tourney should be in memphis because that is the place that teams would have to travel further. Teams from north east tenn. (knoxville, bristol) would have to tavel further than mephis area to chattanooga or vis versa. i think that nashville would be a great place to keep it just for the concideration of traveling. but being from chattanooga i hope that it stays here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about Finley field.  That usually was a great venue to play on.  The TSSAA is talking about shifting the tournament to the 4 major cities (Memphis, Nashville, Chatt, and Knoxville) after 2005.  I know that Knoxville does not have one venue that can host all the teams.  Webb's field is the nicest, and CAK's is big, but still needs a lot of work.  I don't know where AAA would play.

Anyway, congrats to all of the girls for a great season.

825393880[/snapback]

Knoxville has several facilities thank can hold the state games. We have played at watts road, north shore, cellular fields, and one off middlebrook pike. You are always WELCOME to play in Athens. The high school and TWC fields plus the regional park. Memphis is just way to far for the team in the north east to come. Nashville area would be better if not Chattanooga.

I don't think those fields are near adequate enough to host the state tournament. They are great for AYSO, and for middle school soccer, but for a quality field like Finley, CCS, or Mike Rose, those can't compare. Of the ones that you stated, the cell fields are the best choice, but they are not large enough to host a highschool state tournament. What about the UT women's field?

The Mike Rose Complex has a Stadium that Memphis Univ. plays in. I don't think that school affiliation is important, it's about the surface.

Granted, there was a tremendous amount of rain prior to the tournament, but if Finley has so much use that is more important than the State Soccer Tourney (i.e. McCallie/Baylor football, UTC soccer, UTC football) then perhaps a site that is more soccer friendly should be used.

The Nashville area has a number of sites that may be used, such as Trevveca Nazarene, Vanderbilt, Cheek Park, Brentwood. Theses are just a few that have dedicated SOCCER fields that are well designed to drain and are of a size that is appropriate to soccer.

I saw several games at GPS and felt that field handled the pressure well considering the rain, saw several games at Finley and it was awful, what a joke...pathetic! Didn't see CCS.

The field was horrible when we played on it. When you were playing in the center of the field you felt like you had suction cups attached to your shoes, Im sure it is a great field when its not soaked in mud and rain, but why take that chance if you already know that the field cant hold up all that rain. Mike rose in memphis or in the Nashville area in my opinion would be better choices for a state soccer tournament, but then again thats just my opinion. have a great day.

• 4 weeks later...