Region 8-5A Playoff Picture

Opperman

Tonight threw the Region 8-5A playoff picture into total chaos, with Houston beating Whitehaven and Germantown beating Collierville.

As of right now, Collierville is first at 4-1. Germantown is in second at 4-2. Houston, Whitehaven, and White Station are all 3-2.

Houston and White Station, quite frankly, have easy wins coming up next week as they play Hamilton and Kirby. And in the big game, Collierville goes to Whitehaven.

If Collierville wins, it's simple -- Collierville is first, Whitehaven is out, Germantown/Houston/White Station are split up somehow.

If Whitehaven wins, though, this gets interesting. All five teams would be 4-2 in region play., all going 2-2 among the five and 2-0 against Kirby and Hamilton.

I can't wait to see how this shakes out...

(and in other news, Bartlett will be playing whoever ends up on top, probably coming in 2-8 overall)

I don't know if anyone will agree with me or not, but I think it is ridiculous for a team to go 2-8 and still make the playoffs. I think they should take the best 8 teams out of the 2 regions and have 1's play 8's and 2's play 7's and so on. Am I outta my mind here or is there someone out there thinking the same thing?

I hope Whitehaven wins so we will all have something confusing to talk about!!!

As for losing teams in the playoffs - I think they should be forced to forfeit round 1 if they have a losing schedule - giving the other team a bye in the first round. There shoud be some decent standards. This wont happen however due to the extra $$$ TSSAA would receive.

I don't know if anyone will agree with me or not, but I think it is ridiculous for a team to go 2-8 and still make the playoffs. I think they should take the best 8 teams out of the 2 regions and have 1's play 8's and 2's play 7's and so on. Am I outta my mind here or is there someone out there thinking the same thing?

825395742[/snapback]

Well, the criteria is to be in the top four. The way I look at it, though, Bartlett shouldn't be punished for their non-region schedule. They played two very good 5A schools, two very good 4A schools, and a good D-II-AA school. They'd be 6-4 or 7-3 if they'd ducked the competition and scheduled a bunch of really awful teams...but would that really make them any more worthy of a berth?

Alright, here's the scenario:

1. Head to head among tied teams.

2. Best overall record

3. Most wins against teams .500 or better

4. Most opponents' victories.

5. Fewest opponents' losses.

6. Most wins within class.

7. Overtime Monday at 7:00.

IF Whitehaven wins...

Whitehaven, Houston, Germantown, Collierville, and White Station all 4-2 in region play.

First tiebreaker is a wash. Second tiebreaker, best overall, goes to Houston at 8-2.

With first place decided, it goes back to the top, so head to head among Whitehaven, Germantown, Collierville, and White Station. Germantown went 2-1, Whitehaven would have gone 2-1, Collierville and White Station would be 1-2. I don't know if they would then give Germantown second place for having beaten Whitehaven head to head or if it goes to the next tiebreaker, which is overall record. I think the latter, because there's no single second place team.

Germantown and White Station are 7-3, Collierville would be 6-4, Whitehaven would be 6-4. Still no definitive second place.

Third tiebreaker is most wins over teams .500 or better. Whitehaven would have three (Coll, Germ, Mitchell). Germantown would have five (WS, Coll, Covington, Kingsbury, Cordova). White Station would have four (Harding, Craigmont, Whitehaven, Houston). Collierville would have two (WS, Houston). So Germantown gets the two seed.

Now it's a three way tie for third place, between Whitehaven, Collierville, and White Station. First is head to head, which is 1-1 all around.

Second tiebreaker is overall record, which goes to White Station at 7-3, with the other two 6-4.

Now it's a simple tie for fourth place, and Whitehaven would be in by having beaten Collierville.

IF Collierville wins...

Collierville is first outright.

Houston, Germantown, and White Station are in the playoffs at 4-2 in region play, tied.

First tiebreaker is head to head, all three were 1-1.

Second is overall record, it goes to Houston at 8-2.

Now it's a tie for third place, and Germantown beat White Station head to head, so they are third place and White Station fourth.

So Collierville is either in first place or at home, Whitehaven is either fourth or at home. Houston is first or second, Germantown second or third, White Station third orm Serth.

What a mess.