Region 1 - 5A Playoff Picture

raiderray

I apologize if this has been covered in another post, but I looked back to Friday night, and didn't see anything, so here goes my take:

After all the guesses concerning who was in, and who was not, I checked the TSSAA Football regs, and here is what I think happens:

DB is in, obviously.

Karns is in, a win over CC makes them 2nd, a loss puts them 3rd due to wins over SC and JC.

Now here is where it gets messy.

If JC or SC lose Friday, they are out. If they both lose, SC qualifies due to win over JC (and Science Hill if it should upset DB)

If Karns beats CC, and JC and SC win, as I read it, the tiebreaker for 3 way ties:

**Head to Head - they all have beaten each other

***The team with the greatest # of victories - They would all have 6 wins total

****The team with the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50% or more of their games:

CC currently only owns a win over Sevier County that qualifies. They have wins over 4-5 Morristown East and 4-5 Science Hill. East plays Crockett and Science Hill plays D-B.

Jeff County owns a win over CC that qualifies. They own wins over 4-5 Morristown West, and Science Hill. Morristown West plays Cherokee.

Sevier County owns wins over Jeff County and Seymour that qualify. They have wins over 4-5 Halls, and 4-5 Science Hill. Halls plays Carter.

As I read the rules, if Sevier County holds onto the advantage in this tiebreaker, then they finish 3rd. If that happens, the tiebreaker reverts back to head to head, and JC finishes 4th due to win over CC.

Of the scenarios above, I believe East will defeat Crockett, giving CC two "quality wins". M West has had a strange year, and I am not sure they are a cinch to beat Cherokee. Cherokee is tied for first in that district. The Science Hill game postively affects all three teams, so that is a wash. If Halls beats Carter, that clinches it for SC.

Should Sevier County and CC both end up with 2 "quality wins", and JC has one, then CC would finish 3rd, and SC would be 4th. Should they all finish with the same "quality wins", then:

***** The team whose opponents have the most # of wins.

For ease of comparions, throw out the district opponents.

Sevier County's opponents are Oak Ridge (8-1), Seymour (5-4) and Halls (4-5) Total - 17-10

Cambell County opponents are Morristown East (4-5), Clinton (1-8), Scott (3-6)

Total - 8-19

Jeff County opponents are Rhea County (6-3), Morristown West (4-5) and Cocke County (3-6) Total - 13-16.

Looks like Sevier County wins this tiebreaker, and then Jeff County wins head to head tiebreaker.

So JC is rooting for Halls, CC is rooting for Morristown East, and not Morristown West, and Sevier County just has to win.

All other thought are welcome!

Edited by raiderray

I apologize if this has been covered in another post, but I looked back to Friday night, and didn't see anything, so here goes my take:

After all the guesses concerning who was in, and who was not, I checked the TSSAA Football regs, and here is what I think happens:

DB is in, obviously.

Karns is in, a win over CC makes them 2nd, a loss puts them 3rd due to wins over SC and JC.

If JC or SC lose Friday, they are out.  If they both lose, SC qualifies due to win over JC (and Science Hill if it should upset DB)

If Karns beats CC, and JC and SC win, as I read it, the tiebraeker for 3 way ties:

****The team with the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50% or more of their games:

CC currently only owns a win over Sevier County that qualifies.  They have wins over 4-5 Morristown East and 4-5 Science Hill.  East plays Crockett and Science Hill plays D-B.

Jeff County owns a win over CC that qualifies.  They own wins over 4-5 Morristown West, and Science Hill.  Morristwon West plays Cherokee.

Sevier County owns wins over Jeff County and Seymour that qualify.  They have wins over 4-5 Halls, and 4-5 Science Hill.  Halls plays Carter.

As I read the rules, if Sevier County holds onto the advantage in this tiebreaker, then they finish 3rd.  If that happens, the tiebreaker reverts back to head to head, and JC finishes 4th due to win over CC.

Of the scenarios above, I believe East will defeat Crockett, giving CC two "quality wins".  M West has had a strange year, and I am not sure they are a cinch to beat CherokeeCherokee is tied for first in that district.  The Science Hill game postively affects all three teams, so that is a wash.  If Halls beats Carter, that clinches it for SC.

Should Sevier County and CC both end up with 2 "quality wins", and JC has one, then CC would finish 3rd, and SC would be 4th.  Should they all finish with the same "quality wins", then:

Sevier County's opponents are Oak Ridge (8-1), Seymour (5-4) and Halls (4-5)  Total - 17-10

Total - 8-19

Jeff County opponents are Rhea County (6-3), Morristown West (4-5) and Cocke County (3-6)  Total - 13-16.

Looks like Sevier County wins this tiebreaker, and then Jeff County wins head to head tiebreaker.

So JC is rooting for Halls, CC is rooting for Morristown East, and not Morristown West, and Sevier County just has to win.

825397660[/snapback]

Is that all? LOL :P

DB is in, obviously.

If JC or SC lose Friday, they are out.  If they both lose, SC qualifies due to win over JC (and Science Hill if it should upset DB)

If Karns beats CC, and JC and SC win, as I read it, the tiebraeker for 3 way ties:

CC currently only owns a win over Sevier County that qualifies.  They have wins over 4-5 Morristown East and 4-5 Science Hill.  East plays Crockett and Science Hill plays D-B.

Jeff County owns a win over CC that qualifies.  They own wins over 4-5 Morristown West, and Science Hill.  Morristwon West plays Cherokee.

Sevier County owns wins over Jeff County and Seymour that qualify.  They have wins over 4-5 Halls, and 4-5 Science Hill.  Halls plays Carter.

As I read the rules, if Sevier County holds onto the advantage in this tiebreaker, then they finish 3rd.  If that happens, the tiebreaker reverts back to head to head, and JC finishes 4th due to win over CC.

Of the scenarios above, I believe East will defeat Crockett, giving CC two "quality wins".  M West has had a strange year, and I am not sure they are a cinch to beat CherokeeCherokee is tied for first in that district.  The Science Hill game postively affects all three teams, so that is a wash.  If Halls beats Carter, that clinches it for SC.

Should Sevier County and CC both end up with 2 "quality wins", and JC has one, then CC would finish 3rd, and SC would be 4th.  Should they all finish with the same "quality wins", then:

Sevier County's opponents are Oak Ridge (8-1), Seymour (5-4) and Halls (4-5)  Total - 17-10

Total - 8-19

Jeff County opponents are Rhea County (6-3), Morristown West (4-5) and Cocke County (3-6)  Total - 13-16.

825397660[/snapback]

What a breakdown...so I'm going for....Mo East, and not West? correct?