College wrestling

ijtx

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've met Coach Swint a couple of times and talked on the phone with him as well. He is building a program and is doing a great job. My son loved going to his work outs, thought the guys on his team were great, loved the intensity of the work out and learned a lot from Coach Swint while he was going.

I got the impression that he was going to get more involved with some of the state activities once he got the program rolling along good.

Good luck to the Bulldogs this year, you have an amazing freshman class and will do well at the NAIA's.

a couple of years ago, I had a wrestler that I had promoted to C-N, Cumb. Univ, & Cumb. College. I personally spoke with 2 of the coaches and both were very eager to speak to me about my wrestler. One even called me on my way down to UTC for States. My wrestler seperated his shoulder in the semi's and these coaches were never heard from again. I emailed both and even tried to call both, but got NO response. Good ending though. This wrestler is at Maryville College where he was 8th at Nationals last year as a freshman. This same wrestler carried a 4.0 during H.S. and finished his freshman year at Maryville with a 3.8. He is working to be a doctor.

I have watched athletes "fall through the cracks" for the past 20 something years, that could have competed at the next level if only they were given that opportunity. These college coaches don't have the resources and/or time to visit H.S. matches whether that be districts or regions. Heck, you get very few, if any other than Coach Brands, to come to the state tournament because they have meets or tournaments during that time period themselves. What that means is that it is our (coaches & parents) responsibility to insure that these athletes DON'T "fall through the cracks". Give them the opportunity. Make them aware of the schools that have wrestling programs. Most of these schools have questionaires online that these wrestlers can complete and return on their own. Show your wrestlers that you are going to work for them, and they will work for you!

I will second RCPatriot.

If you know of a young man that would like to continue with the sport past HS, don't depend on your local HS coach or luck.

Apply to the NCAA clearing house and follow through so that a perspective college will know that you are academically eligible (the college coach will be more interested if he knows that you will be able to compete).

Determine the programs where you might have an interest and go online to their athletic page and fill out the contact questionnaire.

Schedule a visit to the schools where you have an interest. Include a scheduled meeting with the coaching staff as part of your visit. Even better if you can watch a practice to see if it is a good fit for you.

If you are serious about a program, apply for admission to the school (the college coach will be more interested if he knows that you will be able to get into his school).

Apply for all possible financial aid to the school, both need based and merit based. The most athletic scholarships allowed by the NCAA in wrestling is 9.9. Iif there are 30 members on the team you can do the math to see that a full ride is very unlikely (the college coach will be more interested if he knows that you have already secured a large portion of your funding).

Compile a highlight video of yourself showing what you do well and what you have accomplished 15 to 20 minutes in length (the college coach will be more interested if he can see you in action and he is not gong to be able to attend a large number of high school events as they occur during the college season).

Swallow your pride and stay in contact with the programs where you are interested. Most of these coaches are very busy during the season. Get his e-mail and keep him updated on how your season progresses. Build a relationship and you will get an even better feel for the program.

Remember, if they want you to come on an official visit (where they pay your way, NCAA limitation of 5), then they are really interested. Many visits they may not pay your way, this doesn't necessarily show a lack of interest. The program may not have the budget to support official visits.

i currently go to maryville college and wrestle here. i am the 125. if people dont remember im from lincoln county. i was recruited to come here last year. yes maryville has wrestling and has an awesome team. we have 3 guys who got 8th or better last year at nationals. not to mention a georgia state champ and a guy who placed 6th at state last year (the state champ beat him). maryville has a full squad and is looking to do great this year.