Volleyball

Tacoma

The ONLY way that this will be resolved is when TSSAA kicks private schools out of Division 1. I believe it will happen, and relatively soon, because public schools will force the issue just like the multiplier. Complain long enough and loud enough and things will change. Whether this is fair or not...

Once private schools are gone, they will next bring up the issue of urban vs. rural. I wonder what those facts are.

Tacoma, I understand that you are just stating the facts. That is the whole point of the site, isn't it? I don't know a resolution, but I enjoy the debate.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ONLY way that this will be resolved is when TSSAA kicks private schools out of Division 1.  I believe it will happen, and relatively soon, because public schools will force the issue just like the multiplier.  Complain long enough and loud enough and things will change.  Whether this is fair or not...

Once private schools are gone, they will next bring up the issue of urban vs. rural.  I wonder what those facts are.

Tacoma, I understand that you are just stating the facts.  That is the whole point of the site, isn't it?  I don't know a resolution, but I enjoy the debate.

825404865[/snapback]

No. The only way this will end is when public schools across the state make volleyball a MAJOR sport instead of a MINOR sport. Private schools take volleyball SERIOUSLY, as opposed to a minority of public schools that do.

How many public schools put any old Joe out to coach their county-pride girls' basketball team? Ponder that for a moment. Now consider how many of these SAME schools put out any old Joe, who is delegated the job, into the volleyball coaching position. And you expect these folks to bring home a state title? Are you kidding me? Do you have any clue how many volleyball "coaches" don't even know the rules of the game? Half of your precious single-A schools put out programs just to satisfy Title IX. These girls are being done a disservice by not getting quality coaching nor the crowd support that they DESERVE.

You want more single-A schools to take state titles? Put in better coaching. Actually, just put in competent coaching, not "quality". AA schools take volleyball seriously. This is why the Pages and East Ridges of the state have been so strong for so long. They have parents, students, and administrations that CARE about the volleyball programs that are in place. And for that matter, even the best programs don't get the support they deserve. Page HS can't even get a banner for the championships they won in 2001, 2002, and 2003!!! Private schools take volleyball seriously. They're in the same boat as the Pages and East Ridges, in that the support is there for the program and coaching staff.

So before you lecture me on why all the private schools should be spun out of A-AA, get off your couch, go support your local single-A school's volleyball program and get an understanding of where I'm coming from.

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

Question - at what levels, and at what ages, is volleyball played?  We all know about YMCA and PeeWee football programs and AAU basketball programs and summer league/Babe Ruth baseball teams, but I never hear much about volleyball. 

Are there summer league volleyball leagues?

Are there volleyball programs in elementary schools (perhaps with ping pong nets)?

Just wondering how much talent is "recruited" at the younger levels and how much is actually developed at the higher grade levels.

825403274[/snapback]

A lot of the early "learning" in volleyball begins in either middle school or in club ball. Club ball has programs for all ages, depending on where you are. I think Williamson County is starting a public club program, the first "public" one, as all the others are privately run.

I don't know of any elementary schools in the state that have volleyball. As far as club ball locations go, I know of programs in Memphis, Collierville, Nashville, and Chattanooga. Some of the students in schools near the Alabama border (think Loretto) play in programs based in Huntsville, and some girls in schools near Kentucky may play in Kentucky. There are probably more club programs out that I'm unaware of.

If you want more specific information, please PM me and I'd be happy to answer your questions!

Thanks for thefeedback, TGLJ.

It seems to me that volleyball is a sport that is played by fewer kids, at generally older ages, and with fewer leagues outside of school than the so-called major sports, which to me would say that any implications of private schools snapping up volleyball talent at the younger ages hold even less weight than similar allegations made regarding the other sports.

I think coaching and dedication has a lot to do with success as well.

When was the last time that a single A, PUBLIC school won the championship.

825403132[/snapback]

I don't find any in first, but two have been runners-up--Trousdale County in 1989 and Eagleville in 1999. Which is two more state finalists than the little privates (defined as those that would be single-A with multiplier) have had. This is as much an issue of number of classes as anything.

Tacoma...My daughter`s school Madison Academic is a true 1A public school. It`s only in it`s second year and they competed very well with USJ and JCS (both state tournament teams) this year. Madison is very young and only had 1 senior so I look for them to stay competitive.

However, unlike most 1A schools Madison is in a larger city and it has open zones. So I think there are more issues here other than just public and private

oops....I`m referring to soccer and not volleyball. :huh:

Edited by VolunteerGeneral

I don't find any in first, but two have been runners-up--Trousdale County in 1989 and Eagleville in 1999. Which is two more state finalists than the little privates (defined as those that would be single-A with multiplier) have had. This is as much an issue of number of classes as anything.

825405411[/snapback]

I agree with you, silverpie. AA, in terms of strength and competition, is in a league of its own against single A. The issue to TSSAA, though, is that there aren't enough A and AA schools, as seperate classes, to justify a split. And I honestly only know of a very few single A schools that are even close to the level of most competitive AA schools.

Also, please reference my website and look at the research I did back almost a year ago on a private school spin-off from A-AA. Notice how many A schools are left, as well as AA schools, and how districts would look. Also, you can see what an A/AA split would do. A few of the remaining single-A districts would literally have one team. Another would have ZERO teams! And the great majority of single-A schools are unheard of in the volleyball world.

FYI, Boyd Buchanan, USJ, and Trinity are all single-A teams by student population. Again, please feel free to email/PM me about these issues, as I believe that volleyball needs its own districting. When you have one region consisting of 3/11 team districts (Region 4), and then another consisting of 13/14 team districts (Region 3), there's something not 100% fair about that. I'll hop off my stump for now.

What I would like to know, is what the feeder programs (public middle schools) put into their volleyball programs. I know in the private schools in Knoxville, there are at least 2 if not 3 middleschool teams, as well as quite competant coaches. What is coming up from the 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. Are these highschool programs starting from scratch, or are you saying that it lies mostly on the coaching?

What I would like to know, is what the feeder programs (public middle schools) put into their volleyball programs.  I know in the private schools in Knoxville, there are at least 2 if not 3 middleschool teams, as well as quite competant coaches.  What is coming up from the 6th, 7th, and 8th grades.  Are these highschool programs starting from scratch, or are you saying that it lies mostly on the coaching?

825406019[/snapback]

I'm glad you brought up middle school programs. If a girl starts out in 6th grade and knows absolutely nothing about the sport, she can be ready for some serious ball when her freshman year comes around. Good middle school coaches understand and appreciate the system the girl's future high school uses, and will teach those girls what the coach will be using. (i.e. 6-2 offense, various serve-receive positioning patterns, using back-row setters, etc) The most important thing about MS ball, though, is not being thought the previously mentioned things. It's about nailing down fundamentals.

Fundamentals are a HUGE factor and difference in great programs and mediocre ones. When a freshman girl walks in the first day of practice, with solid fundamentals, that's a whole lot less time that the coach has to spend in practice getting fundamentals learned. They can focus so much more time on strategy, defense, and strong hitting. So many programs, especially where coaching is ok at best, have to devote a lot of time to getting fundamentals down. They don't have the time to advance themselves with strategy and better defense and stronger hitting. Ever noticed what teams like Brentwood and Harpeth Hall and Father Ryan do so well? They dig. They cover each other when they dive to save balls. They set so beautifully. They pound those balls into the floor.

Middle school is meant to be the building block that creates strong high school programs. Private schools know this and appreciate that fact. And more importantly, many of them act upon this knowledge. Many of the Williamson County MS teams are fairly strong. Although several of the girls play club ball, they still have coaches who know the game, and these coaches ARE preparing their girls with the systems their high school coaches are using.

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

TGLJ: I said single-A with multiplier (which covers Trinity but not USJ or BB, who will play AA on the hardwood and the diamond next cycle). And I was only looking at state finalists, because that's what the historical data on TSSAA's website includes.

825406884[/snapback]

You should be able to find all teams who have been in the state tournament, beginning with the 1997-98 season forward. Click here and scroll to the bottom. Getting to info is a bit of a pain, but it's there. :lol: