Giles County Scrimmage

bigt56

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maplewood stuck with a 2-2-1 press most of the game up the court. It was pretty tough at times for GCHS to even get past half-court. Then when they did get it down there Maplewood went to their 2-3 zone look.

To Giles County's credit, Tyler Smith didn't practice Friday due to a sprained ankle.

Guest catfish-hunter
Giles County was beaten at their own court for the second straight game (dating back to last year's substate game) today by Maplewood. It was a very well played game by Maplewood and not so very well played by Giles County.

Hopefully this isn't a sign on things to come for the Bobcats. They looked extremely sloppy and once again their achilles heel came on the free throw line.

BTW, MAJOR PROPS to #14 on Maplewood for a solid game. He can hoop.

825420258[/snapback]

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Giles County fans, but Sycamore beat Maplewood last year. How did that jumpshot look for the great Tyler Smith in this one??? You see, when Giles plays teams that are just as athletic as themselves they always seem to fold.

Maplewood could have went to state last year, if they didn't lose many key players off of this year's squad. That team that showed up Saturday was a very athletic and physical team. Tyler had no dunks, parly because he played on a sprained ankle. Channing threw down a half-court alley oop from Michael Hayes, which caused the Maplewood coach to immediately call a time-out.

The game was tied with 30 seconds left in the game and Giles County had the ball. For some reason they came storming down the court and Tyler threw up a shot which missed, Maplewood rebounded and #30 threw down one of the hardest dunks I've ever seen to put Maplewood up by 2 with about 20 seconds left. Tyler comes down and is fouled and misses the 2nd of 2 FT's that would have tied the game. Maplewood is fouled, but isn't in the bonus yet so on the next inbounds finds a man wide open on a back-door to put them up by three. Coach Holt calls time-out puts in his son Darin and some other players and GCHS prepares to tie it up with a three pointer.

Darin has a great look from the corner for the tie, but the shot misses. Darin and Zach Roberts are usually money from 3-land. Roberts, especially, but the shot just wouldn't go down. Maplewood comes down and makes 2 more FT's to make it like 86-81 or something to that effect.

If Giles County makes all of their FT's it's like 100-86, Giles County.

Oh well, good luck to Maplewood the rest of the year.

Edited by wneely

guys like somebody else said it was a scrimmage.you scrimmage to work on getting better not wins and losses,never heard anyone winning the state in a pre-season scrimmage!

825422979[/snapback]

As mentioned earlier, it's just a scrimmage, but it was great. The play of both teams were great and it was very entertaining. Tyler showed people that he deserves to be top dog in the state and Maplewood showed their intensity by not backing down from GC. The game had lots of dunks. Torye Pelham threw down monsterous dunks. He will be a force. Both teams were great. It was a little taste of what the season holds.

Edited by jk

Honestly, I don't know how Giles County could have the big head. They did not live up to their potential last year. As a matter of fact, they were beat like a marching band's snare drum during the sub-state...not impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching Tyler and company play, but to not play to your potential everytime you step on the floor is absolutely unacceptable at any level. For you GC fans that are wondering who I am...here's a hint...Krogers!!