DUNKING IN WARMUPS?

hhooligans_05

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Tennessee you can do anything but touch the rim. As long as you don't your fine and won't get a tech.

825445805[/snapback]

Not all the time. It depends on the ref. Last year during warmups before a Hickman County game one of our players just dropped the ball in like he had been doing all year but the refs T'd him up for it. It all depends on who your refs are.

Whether they still allow it or not I'm not sure, but at the Arby's Tournament in Bristol, they used to allow dunking in warm-ups. It is a top ranked tourney with some of the best h.s. teams around and some from other countries. It was always great to watch the top guys from each team turn warmups into a showcase and sometimes a fan contest among the crowd.

825445195[/snapback]

they have schools from differant countries come to arbys tourny?

Dunking in warm ups is a violation of NFHS rules which TSSAA abides by. It is a bench tech resulting in 2 free throws and the ball out of bounds at mid court. This rule has been in effect since the beginning of time and is called as a form of taunting of the opposing team. States can adjust certain rules, but most don't and abide by NFHS.

NFHS = National Federation of High Schools

Edited by GLee

A reporter told me a few years ago at a game he was covering, Memphis Northside was playing somebody in a late-season game...they came out and everybody lined up for their best player, who went in and did a 360 dunk to start warm-ups...they figured the two free throws and the ball would be worth getting the crowd jacked from the get-go. For better or worse, I think they won.

we (SIEGEL) had dunking going on in warmups...next thing we know we are T'd up and they shoot 4 foul shots to start the game...how crazy is that.

mr. hooligan

825444634[/snapback]

I agree that is a crazy rule. I dont see what it hurts. I mean we dont have many that can dunk, but if i could i would like to. Wonder why that rule is still enforced? ;)

I think it would be great if they let players dunk before the ball games.... If you have someone who can throw it down let them showcase it before the game... Dunking is a art form that will be enjoyed by the fans and get the students pumped up before the game... Taunting ..lol please the other team should be paying attention too their on rim anyways.. So I say let the kids dunk its good for them and the fans.

825445122[/snapback]

Good Point! thumb I definately agree