mercy rule

mjuhb

http://db.tennessean.com/hs/site/tennessea...=y&storyid=3294

i think it is a good idea i was at the riverdale tullahoma game i about got up and

left but i stayed the game lasted untill about 8:15 in the newspaper they talk about

a runing clock in the fourth querter

if its 50 point at half time a second half running clock and the ref need pull back a

little on the ticky-tack fouls

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The decision should be left in the hands of the coach that is giving the whipping. Changing the rules is really not an option. You would figure that the TSSAA would adopt a shot clock, but that hasn't happened yet. Interesting subject though!

825450598[/snapback]

With the maturity level of a lot of coaches now I will have to disagree on the winning coach making that decision.. Often times they are in the game to pad their ego as much as the score........

I have seen this first hand. Last year a coach was still in a full court press with 2 minutes to go in the game winning by nearly 60 points. I know it wasn't something being done in retaliation to a game from the past since they were playing a first year school.

So the rule needs to automatically start after at halftime. Without anyones permission (winning or losing coach)

Finding a qualified person to run a shot clock could be a real problem.

The mercy rule is necessary. Maybe when one team goes up by 30 the clock runs non-stop from that point on. This would address 50 point leads in the first half as described above. I agree that it needs to go directly into play as laid out by TSSAA or the Federation. Getting two coaches to agree could make things worse.

Finding a qualified person to run a shot clock could be a real problem. 

The mercy rule is necessary.  Maybe when one team goes up by 30 the clock runs non-stop from that point on.  This would address 50 point leads in the first half as described above.  I agree that it needs to go directly into play as laid out by TSSAA or the Federation.  Getting two coaches to agree could make things worse.

825456603[/snapback]

But what if you have a player late to a game for some weird reason and this player is the leader of the team and a top scorer and you start the 2nd half with her but got behind the first half by 30 or 50. You are limiting this teams ability to have enough time to have a full run at winning. I'm not saying that would happen but you are setting limits.

However I think the shot clock will help eliminate some of the problems and most players play AAU and they are use to it anyway.

But what if you have a player late to a game for some weird reason and this player is the leader of the team and a top scorer and you start the 2nd half with her but got behind the first half by 30 or 50. You are limiting this teams ability to have enough time to have a full run at winning. I'm not saying that would happen but you are setting limits.

However I think the shot clock will help eliminate some of the problems and most players play AAU and they are use to it anyway.

825456681[/snapback]

If a player isnt there on the book before the game they cant be added later and play>>>>>>..........................

I agree that a shot clock should be used in high school however the issue will be having someone that knows how to run it correctly. The solution would be to have a official do it but this will never fly because the schools would have to pay for it.

825456831[/snapback]

Most schools are paying for 3 officials I don't think they want to pay a fourth.