How do U submitt News Articles?

rigger101

i.e.

Carroll salutes national champs, Pharr

Diamond Ads finish No. 3 in BaseballAmerica final national poll; FHS team state titles total up to 25

Alan Sloan - Thu, Jul, 1, 2004

The FHS baseball team unveiled its 2004 championship banner during a celebration gathering at The Ballpark at Farragut Monday. - Alan Sloan/farragutpress

Having its boys soccer team crowned national champions is only the latest and most dramatic success story for Farragut High School’s two most successful sports teams during the past two seasons.

While this is believed to be the first FHS national champion in any sport, “I have no idea, but I kinda doubt we’ve had one before,” FHS athletic director Mike Carroll said. “I’ve never heard of one, especially since I’ve been there (since 1990).”

It’s the second consecutive year that coach Wallie Culbreth’s two-time Class AAA state soccer champs (24-2-0 record) and Tommy Pharr’s defending back-to-back state baseball champs (46-2) have finished No. 3 or higher in the nation in at least one of two major polls.

While the soccer Admirals also finished No. 2 nationally in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll, the Diamond Ads ended up third nationally in the final BaseballAmerica poll and among the top-5 in the Student Sports final poll.

The Admiral soccer team was named national champions by Student Sports last Thursday, June 24.

CARROLL SALUTES SOCCER

“I’m extremely proud of all the coaches, and what the boys have done,” Carroll said of Culbreth and assistants Derek Wright and Adam Starkey. “I’m sure it’s an extreme honor to be recognized that high in the nation, regardless of how they arrive at that. It’s a tremendous honor.”

While saying Culbreth has “an exuberant personality,” Carroll emphasized that team behavior, as much as winning championships, “is one of the things I really like about our soccer coaches.

“One of the things I asked them to do is represent Farragut High School, show that we’re a class act at all times,” Carroll added. “And they have really done that well. Our kids have behaved themselves and showed class at all times. I’m really proud of the coaches for that.

“You can tack on a pair of state championships, and now a little national recognition, but quite frankly I’m really more impressed about the way they run their program.”

In addition, team manager Brooke Culbreth was the first-manager to ever earn All-District honors in District 5-AAA.

CARROLL SALUTES BASEBALL

“He’s certainly got Farragut to the forefront in baseball, that’s for sure,” Carroll said of Pharr, who in seven seasons at FHS has won two state titles and finished No. 2 in Tennessee three other times. “At this point we’re the dominant program in the state, no doubt about that.

“The great thing about coach Pharr is he’s just as modest winning the state championship back-to-back, you couldn’t tell if he hadn’t won a game or he’s won a state championship,” Carroll added. “He stays even-keel the whole time.”

In 2004, Pharr was assisted by Zach Pretzer and Keith Guthrie.

STATE TITLE RECORDS

Adding on an individual state title in wrestling from Admiral junior Scott Dix (140-pound class) during the 2003-04 school year, “that gives us ninety-some-odd state champions at our school,” Carroll said of the all-time team and individual titles in FHS school history.

“We’re real proud of that.”

The baseball and soccer state titles raises FHS’s all-time team total to 25, ranking them 11th all-time among all TSSAA schools, public and private.

The school’s first-ever team state championships were earned in 1982 by both the softball and baseball teams.

That’s in addition to more than 60 individual and dual/relay state titles earned as far back as 1931, when a student referred to simply as “Wallacks” on the TSSAA Web site was named Mile Run Champion (4:43).

In the so-called modern era (post-World War II), Farragut’s first individual title came in 1971 from Mark Gilmer in the 120-yard high hurdles according to the TSSAA site.