Memphis High School All-Star Game

kwc

Who, in the Memphis area is going to attend the 2nd annual Memphis High Scool All-Star Football game at MUS? I didn't attend last years game, but I'm thinking about going to this years game. What team do you think will win, red or blue?

Here is the CA story on it.

Prep standouts dot all-star game

Hamilton back hopes to build recruiting buzz

By Jason Smith

November 25, 2004

Hamilton senior fullback Nolan Turner honestly isn't sure whether he'll get the opportunity to play at a big Division 1 college.

A 5-11, 220-pound fullback, Turner has long dreamed of playing at Tennessee, but to this point hasn't been offered a scholarship by the Vols, or any other school for that matter.

"This game is a chance for me to really show out," Turner said. "It'll show how well I can play against other good players."

Turner is one of 74 senior standouts from 34 public, county and private schools selected to play in the third annual AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star Game Dec. 11 at Memphis University School.

Tickets for the game are $7 at the gate. Kickoff is set is 1:30 p.m.

Turner, whose Hamilton team finished just 2-8 this season, is hoping to catch the eye of a college coach who might have overlooked him because of the Wildcats' struggles this season.

"I just want to show them my talent," Turner said.

Turner is part of a Red team led by Frayser coach Terry Ryan that includes five Mr. Football finalists.

The Blue team, coached this year by Christian Brothers head coach Kevin Locastro, boasts five Mr. Football finalists as well, including Class 4A finalists Malcom Rawls (East) and Gregory Hardy (Melrose).

"It's a blast, because for one you get to work with coaches that you don't ordinarily get to work with," Locastro said. "A lot of times Division 1 and 2 coaches are secluded from one another.

"This gives us all an opportunity to interact with each other."

Anybody have a list of the red and blue team rosters? From what I hear ... the dividing line is Poplar Avenue. All schools south of Poplar are on one team, all schools north are on the other. What do you guys think?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who, in the Memphis area is going to attend the 2nd annual Memphis High Scool All-Star Football game at MUS? I didn't attend last years game, but I'm thinking about going to this years game. What team do you think will win, red or blue?

825477015[/snapback]

It'd be fun to see, but I'm going to be at the Tigers' basketball game against Ole Miss.

Volunteer[/url'>General' date='Dec 9 2004 - 09:51 PM']But still they need several LB`s in this game for both sides. From what I understand he is still a D-I prospect.

825477507[/snapback]

The way I understand recruiting ... You garner attention your sophmore and junior seasons. Your senior year is just for recruiting trips and the such. Todd Cox is still very much a D-1 prospect. He will be playing at whatever major D-1 school he wishes, regardless of what his senior season stats are. Those players who garner attention during their senior season are usually classified as sleepers. Todd isn't a sleeper, he's a known prospect. It might not be fair to some players ... but that's how it is none the less. That's why this game is such a big deal in Memphis. Coaches from D-1, D-2, and D-3 schools are invited to come watch the area seniors. It's great exposure. They have been practicing since last Sunday I believe. Coaches from all over get to come and watch them practice, as well as, play in the game. It's great for those who may still be under the radar to be seen, or have ANOTHER school get to see a young man perform. I won't be surprised to see Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga follow suit in the years to come. Memphis has set up the model.

Side note on recruiting:

It has been my observation that the high school coach is the best PR person for recruiting there is. First, he has to have the players ... undoubtedly so ... but the coach is the point man ... he's the one who can make or break a young mans recruitability. In Todd Cox's case ... his coach had a professionally made highlight film produced of his star player ... sat Todd down and asked him what schools would he like to playy football for. Todd listed USC, UT, Oaklahoma, and a few more. His coach sent the film to those schools, Viola! Instant hot recruit! Pete Carrol of USC was so impressed, he made a personal visit. That's just one instance. I also remember Tim Thompson when he was the Melrose coach a several years ago. He often worked the summer camps at Bama and Kentucky and things like that. He had major D-1 prospects every year as a result. He aslo had very good dominating teams as well.

Just something to think about.

It has been my observation that the high school coach is the best PR person for recruiting there is. First, he has to have the players ... undoubtedly so ... but the coach is the point man ... he's the one who can make or break a young mans recruitability. In Todd Cox's case ... his coach had a professionally made highlight film produced of his star player ... sat Todd down and asked him what schools would he like to playy football for. Todd listed USC, UT, Oaklahoma, and a few more. His coach sent the film to those schools, Viola! Instant hot recruit! Pete Carrol of USC was so impressed, he made a personal visit. That's just one instance. I also remember Tim Thompson when he was the Melrose coach a several years ago. He often worked the summer camps at Bama and Kentucky and things like that. He had major D-1 prospects every year as a result. He aslo had very good dominating teams as well.

825479679[/snapback]

I'm not sure how good Todd Cox is right now, but he can fly, and that's what has him as a high D-I prospect. Coaches see the speed and know if they can harness it and put a little weight on him, he could be a star. Cortez Mack was, IMO, a better player for them this year, but he doesn't have the size and speed to be a bigtime recruit.