MJ Fresh

Mailman05

I just saw in the paper MJ beat Leb Fresh 103-7, that is really sad if you ask me....Why would MJ see the need to run up the score like that...that shows no class whatsoever and now Leb entire Fresh girls team has quit....Im ver disapointed in MJ i would have thought they would have had more class but obviously not.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, just maybe, other teams don't work as hard as these girls do. Yes they do have seven players, (now down to six because the point guard has moved to the varsity for the time being), and they can't just simply stop playing. I have watched them all year and coach Sharpe calls off the press usually in the late 2nd or early 3rd quarter, and they still score at will. So if you're a MJ defender and you know you can intercept the terrible pass and go in for a layup, do you just stand there and do nothing? Is there a rule if you are up by 50 you should just dribble out the game? This is school ball, not pay-to-play, grow up. Maybe the whiners should look internally at their work habits/coaching/conditioning and just maybe their players. Go four corners on offense if you have to, just stop whining. Oh, by the way, this is a very, very good team...did I mention that? thumb

In the 4th quarter when you are up big you do not continue to score at will you run 5 out or something and take as much time of the clock as possible.....The way this MJ team is very good but i have lost a lot of respect for them.....Thats just not the way you play basketball....but what goes around comes around ;)

Try running an offense besides a fastbreak. How about a zone defense instead of a half court trap! MJ has a great team but their coach is either clueless or classless

825483582[/snapback]

Amen to that. It's funny how the rumor mill has it that the team continues to press even when up 40 or 50 points. The Hendersonville paper seems to think the same thing after reading an article about it. No matter how good a team is, when your talking about girls basketball and especially at the freshman and/or middle school divisions, there is literally no way you can continue to score 100 plus points without pressing, snow-birding, and jacking up 3's like it seems that MJ is doing even when up 40+ points.

First of all, the MJ Freshmen girls are very talented and have been playing together for a long time. Not a lot of coaching had to be done with this group when they got to the ninth grade. They are also catching a lot of teams that have several girls pulled up and not playing at the Freshmen level, at a time when MJ really has no where to put good Freshmen as they are obviously loaded at the varsity level. Thirdly, I don't believe in telling kids not to score. I do believe in dropping into a 2-3 zone and not running out on a steal when you are up by a margin when you feel comfortable the game is out of reach. Maybe Coach Sharpe doesn't feel comfortable when up by 40+?! I don't have a dog in the fight anymore but I have seen these girls play. There is no reason to press and try to score 100 points which seems to be their goal every night. It will do two things, make people not want to schedule you anymore and remember, it may not be today and it may not be tomorrow and it may be at a different school, but what goes around always comes around. I would be interested to know their scores from all year. I have seen the Lebanon game which we know the score of and the Gallatin game which they won 116-26.

Also, unless you are a coach with a huge ego or a player who never did anything at the varsity level, you have to remember that no one will ever care what your record was or what you did as a Freshman. Although it is very important to these girls as Freshmen, it won't be important to them at all after this year!

i disagree with people who think that this team runs up the score. the game in question with lebanon if im not mistaking, the paper says they only shot ONE three pointer the whole game. and i think if i were a coach on the opposite team and i was getting killed at half i dont believe i would like it if the team beating me so bad comes out and holds the ball for the majority of the second half. i think thats more unclassy then playing basketball and continue to score. i dont believe either, that teams who blowout teams benefits them either. granted they do get playing time and valuable experience, but they dont get to play against teams of their own caliber. but i dont know of any freshmen teams that are as good.