Timmy Blakely.

Port_Vol

Blakely had 17 points, 10 boards in a match-up against AAA Morristown East (Cosby is Class A). The Eagles lost by only 4.

He's just impressive on and off the court.

He's been doubled the whole year nearly, and still churns out the average double-double.

Also has a good attitude, which is noticeable.

He should get a lot of looks

You forgot to mention Timmy's 3 pointer. :blink:

He was 1-2 I think. That could scare some teams.

I'm known for always raising my arms when Cosby makes

a 3. (I get a little tired some nights). Timmy was joking with

me that "maybe you'll get to do that for me soon."

His prediction was right.

I hope teams keep (trying to) double Timmy. He is a great

passer and always seems to find the open player.

What impresses me about his game is he plays almost

mistake free.

Who is the point guard at Cosby this year? I guess Dexter Manning is a shooting guard, but I haven't really heard of the other guards Cosby has.

825490284[/snapback]

On the Varsity, Jared Young and Todd Jenkins are the other two guards. Young primarily runs the point, although Manning could at times, as well if needed. Jenkins is a SG as well, and much like Manning, can shoot the lights out, and if he gets hot watch out.

Young runs the point well, with good ball handling, averages around 6 ppg.

The JV has Jody Lowe and Cody Lowe (brothers) at the guard slots. The JV squad has put together some pretty impressive games for Coach Coggins this year, so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Blakely had 17 points, 10 boards in a match-up against AAA Morristown East (Cosby is Class A). The Eagles lost by only 4.

He's just impressive on and off the court.

He's been doubled the whole year nearly, and still churns out the average double-double.

Also has a good attitude, which is noticeable.

He should get a lot of looks

825488572[/snapback]

Cosby Newspaper-cocke County

COSBY-Upon scanning the 2004-05 Cosby schedule, one date stood out in particular, that the Cosby faithful circled, which was last night?s rare tussle with District 2-AAA foe Morristown East, out of the Inter-Mountain Athletic Conference, giving both the Eagles, and the Lady Eagles a strong test early in the season, against a higher level, AAA competition.

The Lady Eagles (5-2) overcame a 3-of-32 performance from the field in the first half, to see Whitney Hannah score 24 points, leading her squad to a 47-38 victory over the visiting Lady Hurricanes (1-6)

Meanwhile, the Hurricanes (5-4) of head coach Calvin Decker dispatched the Eagles (5-2) 52-48 in the nightcap despite not being able to stop Timmy Blakely, as the 6-4 junior captured his fourth double-double in as many games, scoring 17 points, and capturing 10 rebounds.

Eagles Have Positives,

Yet Too Many Negatives

?Every time we seemed to do something really good, and get something going, we did something bad,? said Cosby head coach Brad Flatford following the loss. ?We just made too many mistakes down the stretch in the last four minutes.?

The Eagles blazed out to a quick 7-2 lead in the game behind Blakely and Dexter Manning, saw the Hurricanes battle back strongly, going on a 16-4 run to close the period, and take an 18-11 lead.

?We didn?t find #21 (Cory Shaw) in a zone. They did a good job, he got loose, and had 15 points in the first half,? said the Eagles head man of the quick lead evaporating.

Morristown East continued to build on the lead, before Jenkins connected on a three-point play, followed by a 3-pointer with 38 seconds in the half, to pull Cosby to within 29-27, before the ?Canes pushed their halftime lead to 30-28.

Out of the locker room, there was a good chance someone doused lighter fluid on East?s Kent Basile.

The 6-2 sophomore shot the lights out, as he could not miss from the field, as he scored nine consecutive points for the Hurricanes, culminated with a trey at the 2:47 mark of the period, which pushed the Morristown East advantage to 41-35. The Hurricanes scored two more in the period to lead Cosby 43-35 heading into the final period.

To open the frame, the Eagles Nest was rocking, as it appeared as if Cosby was on the comeback trail. The Eagles opened the period on an 8-2 run, which had East ahead 47-43 with 3:24 left in the period.

A bucket by Blakely pushed the score to 47-45, before trouble ensued. At the 2:05 mark, Blakely picked up his fourth foul of the evening, and on the inbounds play, Shaw got lost behind the Cosby defense, giving him what appeared to be an open lay-up, however Blakely, trying to prevent the easy basket, committed his fifth foul, as he prevented Shaw from making the basket.

?I don?t know whose fault that was,? said Flatford of Shaw getting behind the Cosby defense. ?It was probably a combination of everybody there, a guy got loose, and Timmy picked up his fifth.?

However, with Blakely gone, Cosby was still very much in the ballgame, trailing by four after Shaw converted his free tosses. And it was sophomore Todd Jenkins breathing a breath of fresh life into the Eagles when he connected on a key 3-pointer, bringing Cosby to within one, with less than one minute to play.

However, just as quickly, the Hurricanes knocked that fresh breath out of the Eagles, as alertly of the inbounds, Andrew Pierce found his way streaking down the court on a fast break, leaving the Eagles defense in the dust. Manning caught up to Pierce, fouling him as his lay-in went down. Pierce connected on the free throw, making the margin 52-48.

Two consecutive turnovers off ill-advised passes sealed the victory for the Hurricanes, who take on West Greene on Monday.

Shaw and Basile led the Hurricanes with 17 each, while Pierce scored 10. Dustin Farthing scored four, while Daniel Deaderick and Chase Goins each had two. East was 18/44 from the field, while shooting 12/19 from the stripe, and grabbing 17 rebounds.

Only four Eagles made their way into the scoring column, as Blakely led the way with 17, followed by Jenkins and Manning with 15 each. Scott Walker added one. Cosby was 20/48 from the field (5/18 from beyond the arc), while shooting only 3/5 from the free throw line. Cosby grabbed 24 rebounds, seven offensive, 17 defensive.