Best 3 Point Shooters in East TN......

chill

BBandBBFan,

Obviously you do not know the OR coach or you would not make such a statement. The point is not that looking at stats is a substitute for quality scouting, but making a decision to not make it any easier on one's opponents. As far as being lazy I am sure there are people out there that do not call in such stats because of laziness, but that would be the exception and not the rule. Don't get too caught up in the stats they are very misleading. Just because a coach does not report stats definately does not mean they are not helping their players further their athletic and academic careers. I can guarantee you that is not the case with the OR coach. Selfish seems to be more interested in stats than in wins and losses!! thumb

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBandBBFan,

Obviously you do not know the OR coach or you would not make such a statement. The point is not that looking at stats is a substitute for quality scouting, but making a decision to not make it any easier on one's opponents. As far as being lazy I am sure there are people out there that do not call in such stats because of laziness, but that would be the exception and not the rule. Don't get too caught up in the stats they are very misleading. Just because a coach does not report stats definately does not mean they are not helping their players further their athletic and academic careers. I can guarantee you that is not the case with the OR coach. Selfish seems to be more interested in stats than in wins and losses!!  thumb

825500576[/snapback]

Good point. I don't know the OR coach, but would simply say he was putting his win/loss record before his players. That is just simple logic. Again ,since when do stats substitute for scouting? The only way some college scouts may take notice of a player on a remote team , may be through stats. So I ask what comes first ....the kids or the coaches win/loss record. Your response implies the latter. It is just a matter of priorities. Let's put the kids first........

BBandBBallFan,

I respect your opinion, but obviously you know very little about recruiting. Who do you think is the point person in high school kids recruiting process? The stats are nice for the parents but mean very little to the college coaches. Most stats are sooo inflated that they do not mean much. A player may average 28 points, but he takes 35 shots a game and is out of control all of the time. Don't confuse making a player look good in the paper with making a player a better player through the coaches help, and to me that means putting the kids first! I've never seen a coach get fired or reprimanded by the administration for not reporting the kids names in the paper so their parents can read about them, but I have for not winning games and developing these young people both on and off the court. Upward basketball sounds like a good alternative!

BBandBBallFan,

I respect your opinion, but obviously you know very little about recruiting. Who do you think is the point person in high school kids recruiting process? The stats are nice for the parents but mean very little to the college coaches. Most stats are sooo inflated that they do not mean much. A player may average 28 points, but he takes 35 shots a game and is out of control all of the time. Don't confuse making a player look good in the paper with making a player a better player through the coaches help, and to me that means putting the kids first! I've never seen a coach get fired or reprimanded by the administration for not reporting the kids names in the paper so their parents can read about them, but I have for not winning games and developing these young people both on and off the court. Upward basketball sounds like a good alternative!

825501396[/snapback]

All I can say is you must be a high school coach, who does not report stats? :blink:

I never said stats are the only method of recruiting. They are just one indicator , but must be combined with film and scouting etc.

Are you a coach? :P Do you report stats?

We are on the same page I think.....I am not totally rejecting your comments, just trying to emphasize the importance of "all participating" to make stats meaningful and to give credit where it is deserved ...WITH the KIDS! Can I at least get an AMEN to that? This forum is supposedly trying to get all caoches and teams to participate in "reporting stats". Let us all support that attempt.

Knoxville

I agree. . . BBandBBallFan doesn't have a clue how recruiting works in this area.

825501510[/snapback]

Let's get it straight.....it is not just about recruiting! How many kids ever make it at the next level any way?

It is simply a matter of giving credit where credit is due.....with the players....you know , with the kids....not with the coach's win/loss record.

Really fairly simple....it should be about the players and recruiting may be a small part of that.

Sounds like some "smoke screens" are being laid, to make this topic about "recruiting", when the real issue may be , coaches avoiding dealing with the real issue

Which is, Why they don't and/or won't post their team/player stats!

FOR THE FINAL TIME...I HOPE?

SOUNDS LIKE THIS HIT A SORE SPOT WITH SOME COACHES? :lol:

Thanks for the kind words Rebelsman.

BB,

I am not a high school coach nor do I want to be one. I made a statement why some coaches do not post their stats that is a FACT not an opinion! You are missing the point! Right or Wrong this is a very valid reason for not doing so. The only reason I continued to have this conversation with you is because you made statement that questioned the OR's coach motive for not reporting stats. My kids played for this guy and he did not report their stats but he busted his rump to help them play at the next level. Not only did he work hard for my son but he is a Rock Solid Guy!!! If that's not for the kids then I do not know what is. If you only knew what these guys do on a daily basis for these kids you would never make such a statement. Case Closed!

BB,

I am not a high school coach nor do I want to be one. I made a statement why some coaches do not post their stats that is a FACT not an opinion! You are missing the point! Right or Wrong this is a very valid reason for not doing so. The only reason I continued to have this conversation with you is because you made statement that questioned the OR's coach motive for not reporting stats. My kids played for this guy and he did not report their stats but he busted his rump to help them play at the next level. Not only did he work hard for my son but he is a Rock Solid Guy!!! If that's not for the kids then I do not know what is. If you only knew what these guys do on a daily basis for these kids you would never make such a statement. Case Closed!

825501676[/snapback]

I think we've got ya TNBreakers. Tell the guys to hang in there with the Bulldogs. I know it's frustrating for them, but they'll start clicking eventually.

BB,

825501676[/snapback]

Good point......I was not talking about the OR coach specifically when I mentioned this. You are entitled to your opinion. My comment was meant in general....I cannot see someone's motives. I can only see the results of such lack on the part of coaches and I think that is significant. Case closed too!

These guys are shooting at least 35% from behind the three point line and have hit at least 15 threes this season...These stats are from the Knox News Sentinel...

Dexter Manning--Cosby, 55% from three, 16 threes, 4 games, 21 ppg....

Michael Mott--Anderson County, 52% from three, 26 threes, 7 games, 15.7 ppg...

Brett Connor--Catholic, 46% from three, 28 threes, 6 games, 28 ppg.....

Andy Maples--South Doyle, 48.9% from three, 22 threes, 11 games, 11.5 ppg...

Willie Buchanon--Knox Halls, 41.7% from three, 15 threes, 10 games, 6 ppg...

Aaron Eakins--William Blount, 41.5% from three, 17 threes, 4 games, 24 ppg...

Brian Oxley--Union County, 41.5% from three, 17 threes, 9 games, 13.6 ppg...

Scott Shipwash--Karns, 40% from three, 23 threes, 8 games, 12 ppg....

Steven Kite--Austin East, 39.5% from three, 15 threes, 12 games, 12.8 ppg...

Cameron Sharp--Halls, 39.5% from three, 15 threes, 10 games, 16 ppg....

Danny Saxe--Maryville, 38.1% from three, 16 threes, 8 games, 10 ppg....

Shane Fox--Anderson County, 37% from three, 18 threes, 7 games, 11.7 ppg....

Who are the strongest three point shooting teams around Knoxville.....

AAA -- Clinton, Bearden, Karns, Halls, Heritage, other?

AA -- AE, Seymour, AC, Union County, Rutledge, other?

A/Private-- Cosby, Catholic, Oneida, CAK, Wartburg, other?

825498831[/snapback]

Brandon Berry from Campbell County 40 % from threes is well below what this kid can do