Powell vs. Karns Round 2

nada02

I agree that Lee Smith has a very good game. Soft hands, good touch, good feet, strength, etc... he in my opinion is the premier post player around Knoxville. Powells perimeter play is getting better and will only continue to do so. This will make them a team to contend with. Although Hargis is a very good p.g. and improves with each game I can't agree that he is better that the Sharp kid at Halls. Sharp is much further along and more skilled in my opinion. Sharps problem is he has to carry his team where as Hargis only needs to lead his team. Hargis has a far superior supporting cast. But you know what they say about opinions. Only time will tell. Either way two of the best P.G. around are playing in Noth Knox Co. and will be on display Friday at Powell.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said that for years...

825516428[/snapback]

Apparently you guys that believe that about the so-called home cooking at Karns must not have seen their games with Cleveland and S-D earlier.They were called for a boxing out call,a time out was awarded to Cleveland when the ball was already in Karns possession and a extra possession when the ball was clearly out on S-D.I believe if I was from Clinton I would look at the KHS and CHS games and see it looks like the home team dominates every time except for a couple times the last few years!

No doubt rob, our students showed less class than Karns did, but nothing was vulgar. I liked the "0 and 3" chant. That was a nice touch.

Overall, it was a good game. I don't think that Karns could play much better than they did, and Powell still won on the road. Addis and Connor made big shots in the second half, and Lee Smith is starting to just dominate games. I love his game.

I also think that it is time to start giving more credit to Matt Hargis. All the kid does is efficiently run his team, play good defense, and hit the open shot when it is given to him. Most high school point guards will never play to the level that Hargis is playing at right now, and he is just a sophomore. Cameron Sharp is a very good player, but come Friday night, I don't have any doubt who will be the best point guard on the floor. He'll be the one playing for the Panthers.

825516183[/snapback]

825517424[/snapback]

moc30,I believe you are getting ahead of yourself because in the fourth quarter Karns had several unforced turnovers and missed some open 3's that they usually make down the stretch.We are not taking anything away from Powell,they played a tremendous game.For your sake lets hope Powell can shoot 70% from downtown because if you do, you will be very tough down the stretch!Good luck the rest of the way.

Its much easier to shoot a high percentage when you aren't being guarded.

825517678[/snapback]

Karns did what many teams will try to do against Powell down the stretch -- they played a tight zone to try and neutralize Powell's size advantage. This is risky for several reasons:

1. Powell's perimeter players are gaining confidence by the game. Addis, Connor, and Hargis can all shoot the ball well.

2. Lee Smith is NOT a selfish player. He can get into the high-post, catch the ball up high and beat a zone from the inside out. Ask Anderson County. It was Smith's assists to Connor that provided the two clutch 3 balls that won that game about a month ago. Smith's passing ability is vastly underrated, and is primarily responsible for Powell's improved outside shooting.

3. Ben Ward is versatile enough to play outside and this really stretches a zone.

By the way, Powell was 11-19 the other night from 3, 57.8%. Karns three ball's were almost all contested in the fourth quarter. Ithink that is why they did not go in. Of Powell's 19 3-ball attempts, I would guess that only 3 or 4 were contested.

cddragonz u are full of so much crap ur eyes should be brown, i dont know why u think clinton is the greatest thing to come to basketball since MJ because they are not that good, and with the talent u all had last year u should have blown us out but u diddnt u had three dudes over 6'8 we had one skinny 6'5 kid and u only beat us by 11 thats not alot and a player of ours who was puttin up 30 points a game wasnt there either. SO STOP LIVING IN THE PAST,and yes scott shipwash did quit the team. I dont know why everyone always wants to get on karns what about oak ridge they have the most talent in the district and the can hardley keep at 500 so why dont u get on them. most of u guys who talk about karns couldnt even hold the same court with us, how can talk bad about someone or some team knowing they they are 10 times better basketball player than u are, u guys are prolly some washed up fans who cant even play the game so u wanna down talk us. thumb

Karns did what many teams will try to do against Powell down the stretch -- they played a tight zone to try and neutralize Powell's size advantage. This is risky for several reasons:

1. Powell's perimeter players are gaining confidence by the game. Addis, Connor, and Hargis can all shoot the ball well.

2. Lee Smith is NOT a selfish player. He can get into the high-post, catch the ball up high and beat a zone from the inside out. Ask Anderson County. It was Smith's assists to Connor that provided the two clutch 3 balls that won that game about a month ago. Smith's passing ability is vastly underrated, and is primarily responsible for Powell's improved outside shooting.

3. Ben Ward is versatile enough to play outside and this really stretches a zone.

By the way, Powell was 11-19 the other night from 3, 57.8%. Karns three ball's were almost all contested in the fourth quarter. Ithink that is why they did not go in. Of Powell's 19 3-ball attempts, I would guess that only 3 or 4 were contested.

825517827[/snapback]

825518194[/snapback]

I guess the word contested means to me,that a hand in the face of a shooter and toward the end of game that was not happening for Powell,but that game is over.What is the most treys that Powell has made in a game this year?We also know that basketball is a tournament sport and the district is at OR where not many teams have success in recent years