Jordan Leen

Nainten

I've never spent a lot of time in New York.  Just on visits and pass-throughs, so I can't say much about their wrestling on the high school level.  What little I do know is mostly from what I've heard and read.  My impression is that NY is rich in  quality D1 wrestlers but plays second fiddle to neighboring Pennsylvania and often New Jersey in the east.  No question, however, that it's one of the top wrestling states in the country in terms of putting out a large number of good college wrestlers. 

I've lived a nomadic existence.  I've lived in Boston, Puerto Rico, Maryland, Rhode Island, San Diego, and now I reside in the great state of Tennessee.  I just moved to the Memphis area about six months ago. :)

So while you were in NY, did you become a Y-Y-Yan-Yan...give me a second here, I have trouble saying it...YYankees fan?...whew, there I said it.  Sorry.  It's tough for me to get that word out.  A little easier nowadays but still tough nonetheless.  :D

825548295[/snapback]

Nainten,

Welcome to the Memphis area by the way. I would think that NY is pretty close to Jersey in the amount of DI wrestlers they produce but I could be wrong since I am going solely based on perception rather than the numbers I am too lazy to look up. Penn definitely has them both outclassed though.

I would wager a guess that the nomadic existence is due to the militray life no? Do you have trouble with that Y word because you lived in Boston or because you are already a true southerner?

By the way you have any kids wrestling in the Memphis programs? I seem to remember you having a few insightful remarks on the wolfpack boys.

I have really enjoyed this thread so keep it coming. You seem to be a close follower of the Simpsons and Jordan as I am since I wrestled at the same time as Phillip and Patrick and saw Jordan in his first state tourney as an 8th grader!

Edited by WrestleSBA

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nainten,

Welcome to the Memphis area by the way.  I would think that NY is pretty close to Jersey in the amount of DI wrestlers they produce but I could be wrong since I am going solely based on perception rather than the numbers I am too lazy to look up.  Penn definitely has them both outclassed though.

I would wager a guess that the nomadic existence is due to the militray life no?  Do you have trouble with that Y word because you lived in Boston or because you are already a true southerner?

By the way you have any kids wrestling in the Memphis programs?  I seem to remember you having a few insightful remarks on the wolfpack boys.

I have really enjoyed this thread so keep it coming.  You seem to be a close follower of the Simpsons and Jordan as I am since I wrestled at the same time as Phillip and Patrick and saw Jordan in his first state tourney as an 8th grader!

825548354[/snapback]

WSBA,

Thanks for the welcome. Being new to the area it took me a little while to connect your handle with St. Benedict's but "light dawned on Marblehead" eventually.

I was basically raised just north of Boston so I am a true blue Red Sox fan. That's where my aversion to the word "Y-Ya-Ya"...well, you know... came from. I didn't even consider the "southerner" aspect of it, but I laughed a bit when you mentioned it. Ironically enough I guess in that sense, I actually am a Y-... well, you know. It may take a little while before I become a "true southerner" but I don't expect to be moving anywhere in the foreseeable future, so it will probably happen eventually.

Right now my 12 year-old goes to Mt. Pisgah middle school but he is being coached by Jason Thiry and Chris Helling (sp). They are trying to start a feeder program for Cordova. I kind of help out with the practices and have gotten to know some of the varsity kids in the process because they help out too. We've taken in a couple of their duals too. Once you meet these kids it's hard not to root for them.

I agree with your take on NY-NJ. To me it seems the difference is that NJ puts out more "top-tier" guys. NJ has a huge wrestling tradition and although PA is the the best high school wrestling state in the East (and arguably in the country), NJ comes close to it, IMO. Every year someone on the national forums comes up with a list of the D1 AAs and what state they came from. I don't remember how NJ, NY, and PA did. Maybe I'll look it up when I get the time.

BTW, Sorry it had to be your Cardinals that took the hit in the WS but we were desparate.

I've never spent a lot of time in New York.  Just on visits and pass-throughs, so I can't say much about their wrestling on the high school level.  What little I do know is mostly from what I've heard and read.  My impression is that NY is rich in  quality D1 wrestlers but plays second fiddle to neighboring Pennsylvania and often New Jersey in the east.  No question, however, that it's one of the top wrestling states in the country in terms of putting out a large number of good college wrestlers. 

I've lived a nomadic existence.  I've lived in Boston, Puerto Rico, Maryland, Rhode Island, San Diego, and now I reside in the great state of Tennessee.  I just moved to the Memphis area about six months ago. :)

So while you were in NY, did you become a Y-Y-Yan-Yan...give me a second here, I have trouble saying it...YYankees fan?...whew, there I said it.  Sorry.  It's tough for me to get that word out.  A little easier nowadays but still tough nonetheless.  :D

825548295[/snapback]

A good part of my wrestling life has been in Tennessee (on and off). I keep coming back as RMC should :D . I've lived in California, Oregon, Idaho, Utah (BYU), NY, Texas (where there are pockets of decent wrestling) and GA. I've wrestled guys in both Pennylvania, Florida and Georgia and have found these areas to be exceptionally physical with the skiil level, especially on feet going to PA. Perhaps PA is the most aggressive I've seen anywhere in the nation.

Hope you enjoy Memphis. I love to visit there every month or so, but I prefer Middle and East TN. Check out Interstate Bar-B-Q and the Cozy Corner one block from St. Judes. There's another good spot across from Methodist Hospital. Go by and se Coach Lewis "Papabear" at Christian Brother's High and Coach Bray @ Ridgeway, not to mention Coach Delago!! Lots of good wrestling to get involved with. I've always wondered what happend to Raligh-Egypt and Bishop Byrn, I guess Cordova and Colliersville took away some next generation wrestlers over like Soddy Daisy and Bradley did in the Chattanooga area ...Where East Ridge, Central, Hixson and Red Bank used to be dominate at all levels. A little history lesson :angry: (a small one about urban strength shifting rural I guess).

soms

So while you were in NY, did you become a Y-Y-Yan-Yan...

825548295[/snapback]

I was in a few towns in NY: Wellsville/Olean, N. Tonawanda, Oswego/Fulton, Watertwon (45 below real temp), Ithaca/Owego over two years in the early 80's. Never really cared much for the Yankee's :angry: , but before the strike in the early 90's I followed the A's.

soms

WSBA,

Thanks for the welcome.  Being new to the area it took me a little while to connect your handle with St. Benedict's but "light dawned on Marblehead" eventually. 

Right now my 12 year-old goes to Mt. Pisgah middle school but he is being coached by Jason Thiry and Chris Helling (sp).  They are trying to start a feeder program for Cordova.  I kind of help out with the practices and have gotten to know some of the varsity kids in the process because they help out too.  We've taken in a couple of their duals too.  Once you meet these kids it's hard not to root for them. 

BTW,  Sorry it had to be your Cardinals that took the hit in the WS but we were desparate.

825548497[/snapback]

Nainten,

Yeah it takes most DI people a second to catch on to the handle.

My little sis attended Pisgah for a year or two and is now a freshman at Cordova (actually Jason is her gymn teacher I believe). Jason and Chris are doing a great job with that feeder program (and the HS as well). Was your son one of the guys that got a match with some of mine before the Cordova Call O' The Wild tourney about a month or so ago? Those kids really impressed me for it being their first time in a real match situation.

Parent involvment is such a boon for the sport in our area, I am glad to have another involved parent around the area. Not to mention that you have some tremendous kids over there at Cordova. I have had some great conversations with Stewart and John Hannah.

I have told Jason and will extend the words to you guys but during the MS season if your kids want to get practice in other than what they get a Cordova they will always be welcome in my MS practices (I know it is tough for Jason to spend time with the MS as he tries to run the HS program as well). The more kids we can get in and the higher we can raise the level of competition in this area the better off we will be.

Go by and se Coach Lewis "Papabear" at Christian Brother's High and Coach Bray @ Ridgeway, not to mention Coach Delago!!  Lots of good wrestling to get involved with.  I've always wondered what happend to Raligh-Egypt and Bishop Byrn, I guess Cordova and Colliersville took away some next generation wrestlers over like Soddy Daisy and Bradley did in the Chattanooga area ...Where East Ridge, Central, Hixson and Red Bank used to be dominate at all levels.  A little history lesson :angry:  (a small one about urban strength shifting rural I guess).

soms

825548576[/snapback]

Both Raleigh-Egypt and Bishop Byrne have lost their wrestling programs in the last few years. I know Raleigh-Egypt had one within the last few years as I remember wreslting there as a junior (that was 5 years ago now) but Byrne has not had a team at least since 1997, but I think it goes back farther but I know how to find out. As part of the history lesson the man who lead Byrne to its dominance and what is still the highest placing West TN team in the state was Carlo Pirani Sr. and one of his sons, Carlo Pirani Jr. is now the head coach at SBA. The elder Pirani still comes by and helps us out with weight-lifting etc. from time to time and is affectionately known as "Senior" by the boys.

Nainten, Here is the link to the article in the Pittsburgh paper last year, http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...l/s_172356.html. Lane, a 135 lb. Soddy wrestler got MOW and Soddy won it all... The article talked about "Tennessee, a state with a much lesser wrestling reputation than Pennsylvania", when referring to a seeding situation. They never bothered to compliment Soddy in spite of the lesser reputation after winning the tournament though.

Maybe more big wins like that one & all these new feeder programs developing all over the state + the sheer increased numbers of teams/competition will push TN wrestling into the limelight one day.

I know RMC, Collins Hill should be our model, sorta like the GA Lottery was? Well, maybe not... Ramos and Co. walks the walk... And delivers, huh? Who will be attending the Duals next year, any big ones? Should we do matchups of top teams from Ga and TN like they do in football?

soms

Hope you enjoy Memphis.  I love to visit there every month or so, but I prefer Middle and East TN.  Check out Interstate Bar-B-Q and the Cozy Corner one block from St. Judes.  There's another good spot across from Methodist Hospital.  Go by and se Coach Lewis "Papabear" at Christian Brother's High and Coach Bray @ Ridgeway, not to mention Coach Delago!!  Lots of good wrestling to get involved with.  I've always wondered what happend to Raligh-Egypt and Bishop Byrn, I guess Cordova and Colliersville took away some next generation wrestlers over like Soddy Daisy and Bradley did in the Chattanooga area ...Where East Ridge, Central, Hixson and Red Bank used to be dominate at all levels.  A little history lesson :)  (a small one about urban strength shifting rural I guess).

soms

825548576[/snapback]

Soms, I am enjoying Memphis just fine, thanks. I'll check out the Interstate BBQ and Cozy Corner when I get the time. My wife and I are still looking for a good Chinese food place in the east Memphis area. I'd like to get around and meet folks in the local wrestling community and am sure eventually I'll do so. I know Christian Brothers has invited our (Cordova) MS school kids to come practice with them whenever we can and WrestleSBA has invited us as well so I plan to get around and meet some of these guys.

One thing: I am a little slow on the uptake so forgive me but I don't know what RMC refers to in your posts. Can you clarify?

Edited by Nainten

Nainten,

Yeah it takes most DI people a second to catch on to the handle.

My little sis attended Pisgah for a year or two and is now a freshman at Cordova (actually Jason is her gymn teacher I believe).  Jason and Chris are doing a great job with that feeder program (and the HS as well).  Was your son one of the guys that got a match with some of mine before the Cordova Call O' The Wild tourney about a month or so ago?  Those kids really impressed me for it being their first time in a real match situation.

Parent involvment is such a boon for the sport in our area, I am glad to have another involved parent around the area.  Not to mention that you have some tremendous kids over there at Cordova.  I have had some great conversations with Stewart and John Hannah.

I have told Jason and will extend the words to you guys but during the MS season if your kids want to get practice in other than what they get a Cordova they will always be welcome in my MS practices (I know it is tough for Jason to spend time with the MS as he tries to run the HS program as well).  The more kids we can get in and the higher we can raise the level of competition in this area the better off we will be.

825548699[/snapback]

Ah, you're the MS coach for the SBA program. That's Great. I see SBA every Sunday when I go to church right there across the street on Chimney Rock. We're actually throwing the idea of private school for my little one around at home.

Yes my son was among those that wrestled. We only have about six regulars in the "room" and three of them wrestled only about 4 weeks before those bouts. Like you I was surprised to see them perform as well as they did. Thanks for the invite to wrestle with your guys. Hopefully we’ll get the chance to meet and talk sometime soon.

Yeah I’d like to get more involved in helping Coach Thiry build the program but at this point I don’t know how much time I can set aside for it and I don’t want to commit to it only to have to back out a few months down the road. For the time being I’m incline to wait and just help out during the practices.

I have a few of questions for you if you don't mind:

How many kids do you have in your MS program? Do your kids wrestle during the free style season? Does SBA fund you or do you do your own fundraising. Is it a combination of both? . Are the parents of your wrestlers actively involved in the program? How long has your MS program been around? Thanks in advance.

Soms, I am enjoying Memphis just fine, thanks.  I'll check out the Interstate BBQ and Cozy Corner when I get the time.  My wife and I are still looking for a good Chinese food place in the east Memphis area.  I'd like to get around and meet folks in the local wrestling community and am sure eventually I'll do so.  I know Christian Brothers has invited our (Cordova) MS school kids to come practice with them whenever we can and WrestleSBA has invited us as well so I plan to get around and meet some of these guys.

One thing:  I am a little slow on the uptake so forgive me but I don't know what RMC refers to in your posts.  Can you clarify?

825549743[/snapback]

RMC is a big booster of one of the finest schools in wrestling in the southest and which recently broke the top 40 in the nation. You may have heard of Kyle Maynard? If not Google it, great story!! RMC will gladly offer advice in growing a wrestling program. He's very kind in that way and in most ways, but don't you cross him on his Eagles from the NE side of Atlanta!! :ph34r: I've obviously crossed a few on this board now (Chattanooga has always prided themself as being the ultimate in TN wrestliing, and Bradley Co. has become a hub of wrestling in that area (another history lesson).

By the way, You've chosen a fine place to live. I have always been impressed with Bartlett, Collierville, Germantown, Cordova areas. Good people, lots of trees, beautiful homes with lots of familys.

North MS is getting that way fast too I see. Nice farming folks north of town toward Covington as well.

You have got to get a stake at the Butcher Block on Germantown Rd.

soms

Nainten.....I'm RMC..and I can't come back to Tennessee until Sommers leaves.

If I can answer any questions or help in any way just let me know. We started a program from scratch about 10 years ago and have had some modest success.

The strength of the program has come from the development of our youth program and the involvement of the parents. It sounds like you are one of those good parents and are getting off to the right start.

In keeping with the thread topic...Jordan Leen....what a super kid. I just wish he was somewhere where I could see him more.