Starters vs. Bench Players

moc3balla

I've been noticing for some time that when players come off the bench -- the coaches expect more out of them than they do their starters sometimes.

When a starter misses shots or make bad plays -- the coaches don't seem to get overly upset, but when a kid goes in for a starter and makes 1 mistake --- LOOK OUT!! KATY, BAR THE DOOR!!

The players that come off the bench don't even have a chance -- as far as I can see it, because they're not given the chance. Yes, I understand that the bench players are expected to always be "ready" to play when called upon, but sometimes I feel they get a bad rap.

I used to coach high school basketball -- and as I look back I was guilty of doing the same thing.

What does everyone else think about this?

I don't see that happening at Cumberland Gap High School. The boys team has 6 players that start, and 2 sophomores that play big roles, so they go 8 deep, and play as needed. I haven't seen any player benched for 1 mistake.

The girls team goes 7 deep, and the same is true concerning mistakes. Back to back fouls is the most likely cause for an expidited exit.

I have seen coaches and officials act in many unprofessional ways at many schools over the years.

All I can say is that they need to remain professional, and remember that they are working with teenagers, not professionals.

It makes me really appreciate Sherrill King & Ron Vannoy, and the Cumberland Gap experience.

yeah -- i see this happen quite a bit at one particular school.

The coach expects the players to be "perfect" all the time.

He'll put bench players in and expects them not to make any mistakes -- and if they do he pulls them out of the game almost immediately in disgust. Many times the bench players don't stand a chance.

A bench player is just filling in for the starter to catch a breath. Most coaches realize that, but they also expect the bench player to be mistake-free. That's not really too much to ask though. The coach doesn't expect them to start running the offense and putting on a show. I think coaches get frustrated when a player comes in off of the bench and tries to impress people and makes a stupid mistake. Can you really blame a coach though?