Freshman Basketball

AirForceOne

In 2000, we started the Charles Davis Foundation AAU team of Chris Reed and Kenny Wayne Lyons at Guard. Felton Jones and Deandre Carter (RIP) at forward and Jonathan Primm at center. We went 19-1 with one loss to Whites Creek. We beat the Creek in the district finals and then Ryan in the City Championship. In 2001, we actually went 12-4 in the regular season, but ran the table in the tournament beating Pearl-Cohn in the City Championship game at Pearl to finish 16-4. Antwan Sykes started in the post along with Dee Morton. Alton ( A.J.) Price, Darnell Collins and Ralph Richardson ran a three guard rotation. Honestly, the 2000 team was much better. 2001 just got hot when it counted. Great guys on both teams.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2000, we started the Charles Davis Foundation AAU team of Chris Reed and Kenny Wayne Lyons at Guard.  Felton Jones and Deandre Carter (RIP) at forward and Jonathan Primm at center.  We went 19-1 with one loss to Whites Creek.  We beat the Creek in the district finals and then Ryan in the City Championship.  In 2001, we actually went 12-4 in the regular season, but ran the table in the tournament beating Pearl-Cohn in the City Championship game at Pearl to finish 16-4. Antwan Sykes started in the post along with Dee Morton. Alton ( A.J.) Price, Darnell Collins and Ralph Richardson ran a three guard rotation.  Honestly, the 2000 team was much better.  2001 just got hot when it counted.  Great guys on both teams.

825548599[/snapback]

That 2000 squad got revenge on The Creek, huh. Who was on the Whites Creek team? I think it was ANdrew Cannon and Dewontae Wilcox's squad. In middle school Jones and Carter had some classic battles w/ Cannon and his Ewing Park team. Hillsboro should've had a good squad that yr. They should've had the twin towers of Russell and Sanders. SOrry for getting off topic a bit. Pearl-Cohn in 2001, who'd they have? WHat happened did those guys not produce on the varsity? Its weird that good fr squads don't always translate to good varsity squads...............

As far as campbell he is a good coach but in 2002(stratford freshman) , he took an L against MLK(Johnny Lee and Co.). Campell had Eric Orr, Quan Taylor, Lavoriss Hyde, WIlkerson, etc. UNDEFEATED and couldn't get it done.

That Stratford team had a great PG in Troy Murphy, who got hurt and didn't play in any of the tournament games. As you can tell by Stratford's struggles without Henry Harris, and Troy not playing, no PG leads to struggles, and MLK had Johnny Lee and compay were tough.

All you people trying to criticize should know the facts. 22-1 ain't bad.

That Stratford team had a great PG in Troy Murphy, who got hurt and didn't play in any of the tournament games. As you can tell by Stratford's struggles without Henry Harris, and Troy not playing, no PG leads to struggles, and MLK had Johnny Lee and compay were tough.

825548770[/snapback]

Good info Bleacher. I didn't know that. Troy decided to concentrate on football after his 9th grade yr I do know that. Game still should of been closer. Stratford even without Murphy was more talented than MLK. That explains why they had trouble with the press and the defensive pressure.

Freshman Tournament Seedings

District 12

1. Pearl Cohn 13-2

2.Hunters Lane 13-2

3. Antioch 13-2

4. Stratford 9-6

5. McGavock 8-7

6. Maplewood 5-11

7. East Literature 3-13

8. Whites Creek 2-13

9. Glencliff 1-14

Creek vs. Glencliff winner plays Pearl, McGavock vs. Stratford, Antioch vs. Maplewood, Hunters Lane vs. East Lit

They were squabbling about something forever and I had to leave so I don't know when the games are.

District 11 AAA

1a MBA 12-4 1b Father Ryan 13-2

2a Hillwood 9-6 2b Franklin 13-2

3a Ensworth 7-9 3b Ravenwood 11-5

4a Hume Fogg 2-14 4b Hillsboro 9-7

5a MLK 1-15 5b Overton 6-10

6b Centennial 2-13

On Saturday

MLK-Centennial

Hume Fogg-Overton

Franklin-Ensworth

On Monday

Hillwood-Ravenwood

Hillsboro-MLK/Centennial winner

On Tuesday

MBA-winner of Hillsboro game

Father Ryan-overton/Hume Fogg winner

Wednesday

Semi-finals

Thursday

Championship

Edited by bigchief

825548770[/snapback]

I remember a team at Maplewood that Coach Campbell coached that had little to no talent. I believe it was Curry's freshman year at Stratford. I know that Curry played in that game for Stratford. Coach Campbell's bunch won the district over Stratford. Coach Campbell's victory in that game still may be the best coaching job I have ever seen at that level, or for that matter maybe any level. And believe me, as far as his Stratford freshman that year, if you have PG problems you have real problems. Hunters Lane is good because of the relentlessness and superb coaching of Coach Campbell!

12-AAA Boys Tournament begins in earnest Monday afternoon. The Boys quarterfinal games are at 5:15 and 8 PM on Monday and Tuesday. PC plays the play in winner on Monday. I believe that McG and Stratford play Monday night too.

Tuesday's quarters will feature Antioch and Maplewood at 5:15 and HL and East Literature at 8 PM. None of these quarterfinal games should be very competitive other than the 4-5 game of McG and Stratford, I'll take McG in that one, they are much more talented than their record.

HL and Antioch and PC vs McG will be a great games in the semi's on Wed. Look for HL to outcoach the boob from Ant, same for PC.

Last year though, this district had the 8-9 play in winner beat the number one seed in the quarterfinals so you never know.

I look for this year to be like last year when HL and East Lit played in the 12-AAA championship and the city championship, we'll see soon enough!

I remember a team at Maplewood that Coach Campbell coached that had little to no talent.  I believe it was Curry's freshman year at Stratford. I know that Curry played in that game for Stratford.  Coach Campbell's bunch won the district over Stratford.  Coach Campbell's victory in that game still may be the best coaching job I have ever seen at that level, or for that matter maybe any level.  And believe me, as far as his Stratford freshman that year, if you have PG problems you have real problems.  Hunters Lane is good because of the relentlessness and superb coaching of Coach Campbell!

825554077[/snapback]

Yea well having Josh Henley don't hurt. :D

Yea well having Josh Henley don't hurt.  :D

825555038[/snapback]

Hey campbell can coach, i just think that MLK has his number. Actually Curry was enrolled at maplewood his FR yr than transferring to stratford. making an already intense rivalry even more intense. I saw some of that game. maplewood had darius lee, marquis cox, and a few others. but guess what MLK won the city that yr too. :) good luck to campbell. i will say this he is definitely the best coach in 12-aaa freshman hands down. Even this yr i think that antioch and pearl have better teams. but their coaching is average. HL will win 12-aaa FReshman tourney and possibly the city. Watchout for MBA and Father Ryan......................though, they shoot better than 12-aaa competition.