Weekly Carter County -- Top 5

osubrutus

1. Unaka (22-1) - Won at Cosby; Monday Twin Springs; Tuesday the game of their

year thus far vs. Cloudland; @ Johnson Co. on Thursday; Only

the Cloudland game matters Watagua Valley Conference title on

the line

2. Elizabethton (19-5) - Clinched Conference title with big win over Unicoi Co.;

Tough game tonight as Greeneville rolls into town;

Tuesday Volunteer comes in to try to disrupt a perfect

Conference record; @ Johnson Co. on Fri.

3. Cloudland (17-7) - Big wins over Unicoi Co. and North Greene; Are in a position

to share Watauga Valley Conference title; @Unaka Tuesday;

Hampton comes to the Mountain on Thursday.

4. (Tie) Happy Valley (8-15) Lost to winless Johnson Co; Beat Hampton; Tuesday

@ Central; Friday @Unicoi Co.; Looks like a TOUGH

week ahead for the Warriors.

4.(Tie) Hampton (8-17) - Lost to Central, Crockett and HV; @ Cloudland Thursday;

North comes in on Friday.

Unaka did nothing to lose their # 1 ranking. If EHS can beat Greeneville, it would warrant a tie with Unaka, if both win the games on this weeks schedule.

HV losing to Johnson Co. is the reason for the 4th place tie. Hard to believe that happened.

Happy Criticizing!!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets talk some more about the Rangers and Landers game tonight. Will not be able to make it, but it should be a dandy. The Rangers have every advantage imaginable. They have quicker guards that can shoot and they have taller and skillful post players. Plus, they have the home court advantage. They will have to come with their game faces on, cause the Landers have a transfer who played very well in her first start. North Greene made the mistake of double teaming Lunsford, and they didn't realize that Banner is just as good. For the Landers to have a chance, Banner and Lunsford have to shoot well from outside. I don't see much production happening in the paint as Roberson and Ensor are too strong. If they don't cut off the base line, we will see a repeat of the last game. The Landers let the little point guard drive the ball in whenever she wanted to, and they made it too easy for Roberson to post up. Whatever happens, may the best team win. thumb

Conference title and only 1 loss.....reconsidering the tie for first even with the Greeneville win. A team with 5 losses tied with one with a single loss? I need convcincing.

825559527[/snapback]

Try analyzing quality wins, strength of schedule, and common opponents. Four of the Cyclone losses are to pretty good basketball teams, only glaring loss was to Sevier County who banked in a three at the horn to win. Hard to discount two wins over Unicoi, a win over Greeneville, a solid JJ Kelly, and a 68-26 win over Cloudland. Also, 13-0 in a AA league is certainly comparable to 6-0 in an A league. Anyone can have an off night as Unaka's overtime scare against UH will attest. Cyclones were awful in the Greene County tournament. Both teams appear to be playing well heading into the tournaments. And the main reason you should co-rank them #1 is you said you would if Betsy beat Greeneville. They did. I really hope to see both teams in Murfreesboro.

Edited by coachh17

Well, brutus, you're a lot like an old bald guy from up the Creek: better be careful what you promise. (OK, Kim, time out, take a pill, drink lots of water, take a deep breath....now GO, MAN, GO!)

The Single A vs AA conference schedules comparison simply doesn't wash; and that's primarily because Unaka has played a few of the same teams: Sullivan South, Sullivan North, Volunteer, Happy Valley, Unicoi, Hampton; which is actually only six of your conference opponents (and I'm reasonably sure that they offered to play another team, but were turned down ;) ). Do you really think Unaka couldn't match-up in the Mighty District One AA?

And you do remember that against North, South and Volunteer the Rangers were without Julie Roberson, Tiffanie Babb and Jessica Osborne? So, if we take Rikki out - that's an All State Forward as Roberson is an All State Center. You take Valneesha out - that's your Great Guard, like Osborne is ONE of the Rangers' Great Guards, and the returning regular season MVP. And then keep your biggest sub at home - which is now Eden Treadway. Do you think EHS could get the job done? In other words: do you really want to use the "tougher schedule" argument?

Credit where it's due: The game against Cloudland was very impressive. 17 remarked as he exited the Happy Vally office that, "Unaka couldn't beat Cloudland by forty." Got me there.

But to suggest that the team with FIVE LOSSES should be rated even with the team with ONE LOSS? No thanks. Yes, EHS defeated Greeneville ....and Greeneville defeated EHS.

But you cannot throw out the "SEVERE" loss simply because "we played badly that week." Sevier County was beaten by NORTH GREENE (one of those "weaker" Single A teams) only a day before they defeated Elizabethton. Yes, the same North Greene that Unaka swept, and destroyed at North Greene. As to the University scare: I'm pretty sure Unaka Won that game. Good Gosh, this is so much fun. And can you believe it?: it's ALMOST Tournament Time!

Sounds like you are a pretty arrogant coach. We do have a powerful conference with two teams that are capable of winning the state tournament. Why don't you money dogs leave the single A teams alone and let them be proud of their accomplishments. In the single A lala land, I bet Betsy would have a hard time winning the gold ball. Chew on that for awhile. :blink:

Sounds like you are a pretty arrogant coach.  We do have a powerful conference with two teams that are capable of winning the state tournament.  Why don't you money dogs leave the single A teams alone and let them be proud of their accomplishments.  In the single A lala land, I bet Betsy would have a hard time winning the gold ball.  Chew on that for awhile. :blink:

825559973[/snapback]

I prefer confident in my team to arrogant, but I have been called worse. Now that I am leaving the profession, just call me arrogant ex-coach. As usual, I have never said anything negative about Unaka or Cloudland's players, teams, or coaches. They are good teams and have a chance to reach the state tournament. Unaka, in particular, has a special group of seniors and could take it all. Brutus asked for an argument and I gave him one. I prefer chewing tobacco, gold balls are a little rough on my teeth.