TN Wrestling Trivia

coachmasters

Keller and Simpson are the most recent that I can think of, but with astricks involving D1 & D2.  Wasn't there a FRancis of ND years ago and the three time state champ from GA that won a forth at East Ridge, Kenny Hill?

I understand GA may get it's first 5-A this weekend in Tyler Parker of Collins Hill.

%-wise, not too many of these except in smaller or private school divisions.    Cael Sanderson was one you may remember in Utah.  Of course Gable, too.

soms

825557095[/snapback]

Gable was not a Four-time Champion.

And what is this Asterisk business? If a wrestler wins all four of the State Tournaments he wrestled in, why would he have an Asterisk next to his name?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gable was not a Four-time Champion.

And what is this Asterisk business? If a wrestler wins all four of the State Tournaments he wrestled in, why would he have an Asterisk next to his name?

825557242[/snapback]

If I remember right Gable never lost in HS or in College until his final match.

Asterisk only to note D1 or D2. Francis was in a full field of state wrestlers, although the field is much greater and more talented today than ever, I believe. Still not a full field, that's why in GA, & other states with 4-5 divisions, you have guys with losing records winning the state.

soms

Asterisk only to note D1 or D2.  Francis was in a full field of state wrestlers, although the field is much greater and more talented today than ever, I believe.  Still not a full field, that's why in GA, & other states with 4-5 divisions, you have guys with losing records winning the state.

soms

825558351[/snapback]

Francis won two state championships while Baylor and McCallie were wrestling in the Mid South. There has NEVER been a four time state champ in TN when all divisions wrestled together.

Francis won two state championships while Baylor and McCallie were wrestling in the Mid South. There has NEVER been a four time state champ in TN when all divisions wrestled together.

825558388[/snapback]

Good catch! A little before my time, believe it or not. I really wonder if in the cases of Keller, Simpson and Francis, if it really mattered? Did anyone ever beat these guys from "the other side?"

soms

If you're talking UNDEFEATED 4x state champs, Zach Roberson from Kansas was 153-0 in high school. He did, however, lose in the finals of the Senior Nationals 1-0, but that was after his 4th state title.

Gable was undefeated, but not a 4 timer. He did not wrestle varsity his freshman year in high school or college. I'm not sure why he didn't in high school, but in college at that time the NCAA didn't allow freshmen to start.

Dan Gable's Stats

If you're talking UNDEFEATED 4x state champs, Zach Roberson from Kansas was 153-0 in high school.  He did, however, lose in the finals of the Senior Nationals 1-0, but that was after his 4th state title. 

Gable was undefeated, but not a 4 timer.  He did not wrestle varsity his freshman year in high school or college.  I'm not sure why he didn't in high school, but in college at that time the NCAA didn't allow freshmen to start.

Dan Gable's Stats

825558616[/snapback]

I believe Roger Kish of Michigan never lost in High School. 263-0 I think

Joe Williams of Illinois lost once by disqualification for a slam (it was a bogus call) as a fresman keeping him from being the first to do it in Illinois.

If you're talking UNDEFEATED 4x state champs, Zach Roberson from Kansas was 153-0 in high school.  He did, however, lose in the finals of the Senior Nationals 1-0, but that was after his 4th state title. 

Gable was undefeated, but not a 4 timer.  He did not wrestle varsity his freshman year in high school or college.  I'm not sure why he didn't in high school, but in college at that time the NCAA didn't allow freshmen to start.

Dan Gable's Stats

825558616[/snapback]

I believe the same rule may have applied for High School as it did for college, or perhaps junior high was still considered 7-9 back then?

One thing a lot of folks may not realize, Bond Davis may go down as one of the most victorious wrestlers of all time. I don't know the exact figures right yet but we'll see at region and state, but I believe he may be about 200 wins, lots of pins and not too many losses. I believe I saw Jordon Leen had something like 214 wins. What records did some of the aforementioned TN wrestlers have.

Soms

Extra note: It was recently announced over the radio in the Nashville area that Bond Davis is now officially recognized at FHS as a State Champ, based on film review and actual points scored in last year's final @ 145. Perhaps he can get a second @ 160, without dispute, in 1 1/2 weeks.

Edited by Sommers