question about state?

glovebox27

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping the TSSAA would change the State to a true Double Elimination event. It makes no sense to me why they don't. We, the coaches, seem to discuss it every year and make the recommendation to them every year, but it doesn't change.

I ws hoping this would be the year.

I agree on making State a full DE tournament. Not unusual for a kid to have a bad match, but it is devastating when his opponenet gets beat and puts him out for good. This is about the wrestlers getting their opportunity. Give them a chance to "wrestle back". THe discussion at last years coaches meeting was good, but once again, no action on the proposal.

I agree on making State a full DE tournament.  Not unusual for a kid to have a bad match, but it is devastating when his opponenet gets beat and puts him out for good.  This is about the wrestlers getting their opportunity.  Give them a chance to "wrestle back".  THe discussion at last years coaches meeting was good, but once again, no action on the proposal.

825567865[/snapback]

All State tournaments need the the wrestle back especially with second and third place finishers. DII has great wrestlers, but few teams, so with an OPEN state tournament, the seeding is extremely important. In DI, if you lose in the regional, you still have a chance to win it all at the state. Not in DII, its do or die. The DI regional allows you to pre-seed the State tournament, which is needed in DII because of how silly the seeds are selected. The DII coaches need to act like men and change the rules.

All State tournaments need the the wrestle back especially with second and third place finishers. DII has great wrestlers, but few teams, so with an OPEN state tournament, the seeding is extremely important. In DI, if you lose in the regional, you still have a chance to win it all at the state. Not in DII, its do or die. The DI regional allows you to pre-seed the State tournament, which is needed in DII because of how silly the seeds are selected. The DII coaches need to act like men and change the rules.

825568547[/snapback]

Just as a little bit of info; I think pretty close to the majority of the DII coaches would like to see our tournament get truly seeded as well but that is really something I would suppose you wouldn't know. Please be careful in saying all need to "act like men" as any who helps coach certainly acts like a man by trying to give something of himself back to his community, not to mention a lot of the coaches want seeding (the thing you are criticizing them for).

Just as a little bit of info; I think pretty close to the majority of the DII coaches would like to see our tournament get truly seeded as well but that is really something I would suppose you wouldn't know.  Please be careful in saying all need to "act like men" as any who helps coach certainly acts like a man by trying to give something of himself back to his community, not to mention a lot of the coaches want seeding (the thing you are criticizing them for).

825568557[/snapback]

That sounds good to yourself, but it's BS! They get paid, and if they want to change the rules, contact Ronnie Carter. I've been there , done that, don't go there!

Bottom, Since 1998 The DII coaches have asked Ronnie Carter to let us seed the DII tournament, RC refuses. There are less that 20 DII wrestling teams, so it would not be that hard to seed the tournament. RC suggested DII have regional tournaments, this was rejected bt the DII coaches because it would mean some us would see each other up to 4 times a year. The power has always been in Ronnie Carter's hands regarding seedind and if DI would ever get a double elimination tournament....it does not matter what the coaches want in the end, it is all in Ronnie's and the T$$AA hands....bottom line

That sounds good to yourself, but it's BS! They get paid, and if they want to change the rules, contact Ronnie Carter. I've been there , done that, don't go there!

825568559[/snapback]

Allright Bottom,

Last time I will reply to this one I hope. You are right on the fact that some coaches don't want the seeds, but I know many do. I for one would love to see our tournament seeded and I know it is brought up pretty much every year but does not happen. Some of this is the coaches and some the TSSAA so I can place blame nowhere.

If by saying you have been there and done that you mean you have been a coach then I can say thank you for giving to our sport.

But on the topic, I can name a few coaches who are school teachers who make no extra money for coaching wrestling and I also know several who are not school employees (read this as professionals with their own businesses and jobs) that give what little they are paid to coach back to their programs so they can afford supplies or maybe one extra out of town tournament.