What two teams will go to Sub-state from Region 1?

SHWaxin

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's going to sub-state from Region 1? I'm saying Science Hill and Greenville will go.  With everyone healthy, those are the best teams from this region and should be the ones to move on.  If Omar Wattad of Science Hill gets over his minor injury, and Shumate of Greenville gets healthier, those two teams will be hard to stop in the region.

825571594[/snapback]

SH I must say I agree with you on that one. Not sure any team from IMAC will win in region except Greenville. I think Morristown East wont even make it out of the district. Morristown West may be the sleeper in the group and should beat Jeff easily in opener. Cocke County to beat M East in opener. East is horrible Greenville will need Shumate to go any distance in the substate and right now it looks doubtful.

]By: By EUAL SHELTON/Sports Writer

Source: The Greeneville Sun

02-16-2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was another numbers game in the Greeneville vs. Science Hill basketball game at Hal Henard gym Tuesday night -- the Hilltoppers 11 against the Greene Devils’ seven.

The District 1-AAA regular season champion Hilltoppers used a strong start to begin the fourth quarter when Greeneville appeared to be tired to go on and take a 45-37 victory over the champions of District 2-AAA.

The Lady Devils set a furious pace from the opening tip, racing off to a 16-0 lead and rolled over the Lady Toppers 68-30 in the first game of the evening.

Greeneville will close the regular season schedule Thursday night at Hal Henard gym when they play host to Gatlinburg-Pittman.

Devils Run Out Of Gas

Greeneville had led most of the first three quarters but appeared to be tired as the third period wound down. After leading 28-24 with 1:25 left, they were unable to score and a turnover and three missed free throws allowed the Toppers to close with a 5-0 run to hold a 29-28 advantage at the horn.

The ending of the third was just a preview of what was to come at the beginning of the fourth.

The Toppers, with their relentless full court pressure after each made basket, took advantage of Greeneville's ineffective shooting in the early minutes of the final period and forced four turnovers that aided an 11-0 run and a 40-28 advantage with 3:57 remaining. They then went to a clock-running motion offense, content to make either lay-ups or free throws down the stretch.

Sophomore Jonathan Murner finally got a free throw to fall for the Devils’ first point of the period with 3:04 left and he also got their first field goal with just 1:10 remaining, but the count was 43-33.

Baskets in the final minute by Dashaud Moore and Tracy Champion cut the final score to 45-37.

Greeneville came out crisp in the opening period, getting a pair of fielders from Murner and a 3-pointer and held a 12-6 edge with the defense forcing the Toppers into five turnovers, getting baskets on three.

Science Hill came on strong in the middle part of the second cutting the GHS lead to one, 16-15 with 1:58 left in the half, but the Devils held a 19-16 advantage at the break on a Moore fielder.

Greeneville took the Toppers' best shot in the early minutes of the third with Michael Forney and Matt Stockton knocking down 3-pointers and Forney getting a two pointer seconds later.

Greeneville came up strong defensively, forcing three turnovers on Science Hill, getting baskets from Brynnan Allen and Tracy Champion and a pair of fielders from Eric Anderson to hold a 28-24 edge with 1:25 remaining in the period.

The fielder by Anderson was the last one for Greeneville until the 1:10 mark of the final period and by that time Science Hill had control of the contest and raised their season record to 28-5.

The Greene Devils are now 22-7 with one game remaining before the start of the district tournament. Murner led the Greene Devils in scoring with 14 points, followed by Eric Anderson (7) and Tracy Champion (6).

Michael Forney led the Hilltoppers in scoring with 11 with 6-6 sophomore Omar Wattad, who got in early foul trouble, netting 10 with eight of the 11 that played scoring.

Science Hill (45): Turner 2-4 0-1 4, Thomas 0-1 0-0 0, Michael Forney 5-9 0-0 11, Omar Wattad 4-6 2-2 10, Stockton 1-2 1-2 4, Wells 1-1 1-1 3, Gray 0-0 0-1 0, McKinney 1-3 1-2 3, Crowder 3-3 2-4 8, Ryans 1-2 0-0 2. Totals 18-31 7-13 45.

Greeneville (37): Champion 3-5 0-0 6, Jonathan Murner 5-9 3-4 14, Anderson 3-7 1-5 7, Moore 2-3 0-0 4, Washington 0-0 2-4 3, Bailey 0-4 0-0 0, Allen 2-3 0-1 4. Totals 15-31 6-14 37.

3-Point Goals: SHHS (2) Stockton, Forney. GHS (1) Murner.

Score by Quarter:

I don't think Tennessee High will be able to beat DB if those two meet in the semi's  of districts, and then i think theyll lose in regions, not enough depth, all they have is terrell and dashuad

825572839[/snapback]

Omar how is your foot? Do you have the same thing Shumate has? Hope you make it cause they going to need you to beat us.

Edited by IMACJack

Who's going to sub-state from Region 1? I'm saying Science Hill and Greenville will go.  With everyone healthy, those are the best teams from this region and should be the ones to move on.  If Omar Wattad of Science Hill gets over his minor injury, and Shumate of Greenville gets healthier, those two teams will be hard to stop in the region.

825571594[/snapback]

I completely agree with everyone healthy I think Greeneville is the best team in the region with Science Hill a close second. There both great teams and will do great at the State Tournament.