Some poor, poor officiating in some D-2 finals

mr. tennessee

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that there were some calls that should have been made and weren't. However, you can't realistically blame all of the officials for the mistakes of a few. I don't think that any official intentionally makes a call that potentially cost a kid the match. But, I have seen a questionable call do just that.

I've been watching the state tournament for some time now and I've noticed the same faces each time. Who decides what officials call to the state tournament? I visited Regions 5 and 7 and noticed two really good and consistent officials who were more than capable of calling the state tournament and weren't there. The state tournament is the very best in the state and the officials should be as well. It shouldn't be a popularity contest but rather "who's the best".

I've been waiting since last night for this topic to appear.

The officiating on the DII mat was horrible. I was there to watch several kids on many teams. No dog, so to speak and at least a couple dozen times came out of my seat guestioning a call or a no call. There were several matches decided by officials, including hwt, 112, 145, 140, 135 and on and on.

The biggest thing I noticed was the moving out-of-bounds call and the stalling calls/no calls. It was a quick whistle during most matches. I watched Mike Craft work a couple of DI matches, and he understood it was the finals and let the kids wrestle making it fair for both kids.

This is the state finals. Let the kids wrestle.

Adamson may have been stalling, but not when it was called.

Waddell had the McC kid tied up and was about to finish the move when the whistle blew for stalemate.

Simmons was out-of-bounds in OT AND Green finished the move out-of-bounds.

Now, these matches all may have ended up the way they did and that really isn't my point. In most of the cases I didn't care the outcome, but hated to see kids cheated by bad officials. They work too hard to have that happen.

It was pretty clear to folks in the stands that the decision was made to put the better refs, mostly Chattanooga guys btw, on the DI mat because of TV.

Hard to argue that logic, but aren't there any better refs out there?

825575666[/snapback]

Well since the officials thing has been beaten to death, let's talk about the table workers. I've been at several tournaments this year and it's easy to say the table workers were absolutely the worst I have seen. They couldn't keep score properly on the paper or the scoreboard,and on some mats it got to the point the second most important job in the corner was to watch the clock to make sure it was stopped and started. One ref was overheard to say he had to ask a table worker to put down her cell phone and pay attention. I think the capper was in one of the DI finals the time tapper didn't go out on the mat at the end of the first period because she was trimming her nails at the table, luckily the asst. ref was doing his job and called time at the end of the period.

I don't know how the table workers were recruited, volunteered, or trained but the Tournament to decide our state champions certainly deserves better than it got this year.

reftn,

Let me clear something up for you. I have had the stripes on before. No, not in wrestling. But, be sure that just because you take a test, have enough hot air to blow on a whistle, wear a striped shirt, and have watched a few wrestling matches, this in NO way makes you a knowledgable ref or a good ref. Simply stated, too many ref's in wrestling have the attitude that they don't make mistakes, and if they do, what are you going to do about it. Well, this is why we in region 2 voted at the seeding meeting on who, we, the coaches, thought should be awarded the honor of officiating the region tournament. One particular official wasn't given ONE vote, and he's officiating at the State Tournament! Guess all of us coaches are just stupid and don't have a clue! Who made the call to honor him with the priviledge of refereeing at the State Tournament?

I have read many of your post and you sound like many of the snotty nosed kids that wanted me to teach them how to umpire baseball so they could get back at their old coaches. They had the attitude that because they were wearing an officials shirt with a patch on it they could say anything, do anything, and be as disrespectful as they were during their playing years, but get away with it. I mention this only because too many ref's are getting that "untouchable" attitude.

Treat people with respect and they should give that respect back to you. You get paid to do a job. Maybe not much, but you knew that coming in. You should be evaluated just like anyone else is evaluated when they are getting paid to do something. If your doing a good job, you should be rewarded for it. If your not, you shouldn't be allowed to continue that in the State Tournament.

am looking forward to responding to this.

In fact, on the way to knoxville now and I would be pleased to buy you lunch, seriously. My guess is we could learn quite alot from eachother. If you have the time, lets do.

The problems with Reg 2 officiating is a local problem. In our association (MTWOA), the coaches in the regions we cover show their support by regional suggestions to our booking secretary and names are submitted to TSSAA for state selection. Our coaches input is more advise and consent.

I am, however, curious as to which post made my nose snotty. Your advice and consent would be appreciated here.

I haven't responded fully here, but will.

I have business in Knoxville in the morning, but should be finished by 11:00. Let me know, lunch would be great. Post back and name the place.

reftn

reftn,

I would welcome the opportunity to sit down and break bread with you anytime. Sorry I didn't get this post until 1:30 this afternoon or I would have arranged my schedule to meet with you. I am very easy to find. If you happen to be around Kingston H.S. on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays, from 4 to about 6, I'll gladly break away from practice to discuss some of these issues. That is, if you can bring an open mind with you and not try to be defensive everytime an issue about refereeing comes up.

My biggest issue is that ref's aren't held accountable for their actions, but coaches are. Which has given some ref's the attitude they are indispensable. In my 6 years of coaching wrestling, I have had 2 ref's that have apologized for making the wrong call during a match. I can accept that and admire that, but the ones that know they made a bad call and want to give the old "coach, that was my judgement, are you questioning my judgement?" are the one's most of us have a problem with. Don't be unapproachable. Be able and willing to explain yourself is what I'm asking.

I'm starting to sound like my boss!

rc,

You are WAY off on reftn. I'm sure his lunch proposal is very sincere. You should take him up on it. If you'll review some of his posts you will find he is in favor of putting a number on his back for evaluation. I also think reftn will tell you those guys that want to officiate to get back at someone are referred to baseball.

nice one, downforthecount. I was serious about meeting reftn for lunch and serious about him finding me. No hostility mean't by what I posted. Just don't want to waste my time if he is going to defend all ref's, hence the comment of being open minded.

The offer still stands. Stop trying to read between the lines. There's nothing but space!

I agree that there were some calls that should have been made and weren't. However, you can't realistically blame all of the officials for the mistakes of a few.  I don't think that any official intentionally makes a call that potentially cost a kid the match. But, I have seen a questionable call do just that.

I've been watching the state tournament for some time now and I've noticed the same faces each time. Who decides what officials call to the state tournament? I visited Regions 5 and 7 and noticed two really good and consistent officials who were more than capable of calling the state tournament and weren't there. The state tournament is the very best in the state and the officials should be as well. It shouldn't be a popularity contest but rather "who's the best".

825577062[/snapback]

Use names if you can.